TEXAS DIY NOOB NEEDS HELP!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Forum Members.

I must first start off by saying that I am new to the world of forums and theater rooms. With that said any help that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

So I have recently built a new home that has a dedicated theater room (12'X17') which is upstairs and above the master bathroom. I have already started by painting the walls a dark burgundy and building a riser (6'x9x6") for the second row seating. I am thinking about going with the Epson 3020 due to budget and I am not sure on a decent Surround System (Speakers, AV Receiver) that would also be in my budget of $1000.

I have been looking at floor standing/in-wall systems and I need some type of help on what would be best for the room. Ive heard that in-wall speakers causes sound to travel throughout the walls into other rooms and that is not cool.

Also I am thinking about building my own screen 120" with blackout fabric instead of buying the elite screen. Would the DIY Screen be a good choice and would it provide me with the same quality movies as the Elite Screen.

Once again this is all new and the researching is getting overwhelming.

Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Welcome! Couple of quick questions for you..

1. Was there any soundproofing done to the room? Insulation in walls, ceiling, floor (since it is on the 2nd floor), decoupling of the drywall from the framing, 2 layers of drywall with greenglue between the layers? Main reason for asking this is if no soundproofing has been done at all, then is matters little if you go with in-walls or in room speakers. The sound will find a path to the rest of the house. Also if that is an open entry on the right, the sound will have an easy path to escape.

2. Is that $1k budget for the AVR and speakers only, or does that include the screen and any other items. If the screen is on a separate budget line, I would suggest a Jamestown screen. Very budget minded screen, and very good as well. Much easier than DIY IMO, and not much difference in cost.

Lastly, you may want to consider moving this thread into the Dedicated Theater Design & Construction forum. You will get a lot more traffic there and a lot of suggestions to help you complete your project.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply GWCR.

No sound proofing was done to the room at all but it does have insulation in the walls.

The $1K is for the AVR, Speakers and whatever wires i would need.

$1600 is budget for the screen and projector.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The insulation will help a little, but expect to be able to hear the audio in adjoining rooms (side, above, below) at moderate levels.

I might suggest a HTIB solution to keep you in your budget for speakers & AVR. There are some decent options from Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon that fall in your price range, and would leave you a bit extra that you might put toward your projector and screen. Amazon is a good place for those.

Looks to me like the Epson 3020 would bump you right up against your screen and pj budget (unless you are getting used or B-stock). That's why I suggest a HTIB that could allow you to move some $ to the pj/screen budget.

The good news is you can always upgrade equipment down the road as budget allows.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page