Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
http://www.theaterseatstore.com/lane-103-matinee-brown-power?sc=14&category=203

I'm considering buying a 3 piece. I'm still not sure on the whole Bonded vs Top Grain leather. I asked a few retail stores around here, some claim Bonded is better and cheaper and others claim Bonded is terrible. I have no where to test these seats, and with a 25% restocking fee I am very worried about spending $1700 on them. I'm also worried about about the mechanical motors and if I should just go with manual recline... Bonded Leather/Manual is $500 cheaper.

Anyone out there that can help me and ensure me that this is a good purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Lane Matinee is the continuation of the Berkline Reno, model 12003. Berkline went out of business about two years ago and Lane picked up production of the chair from the same factory. It has been a very popular chair for several years from both manufacturers.

Bonded vs Leather:
Bonded Leather is still a relatively new product on the market. There is a wide range of quality and percentage of leather found in bonded leathers nowadays. The bonded being used by Lane should be a nice, quality bonded leather. However, if you have any reservations about the durability of the bonded leather and have it in your budget, consider going with the Leather Match.

Power vs. Manual
Power Recline is almost a must. Look around a little bit on this forum and you will see that 99% of the people that paid for power are happy that they did. You have much better control over your chair. You can stop it when you have it at a good viewing angle to your screen or TV and it will stay there even if you move around in the chair. It's particularly "important" in a home theater/media/tv room environment where your head position is key. The failure rate on Power Recline is less than 2%. And if something is going to happen it usually happens within the first few weeks. The power systems on home theater chairs is also very modular and easy to repair should something go wrong. There are three components: switch, power supply and actuator. The first two are very easy to swap out, the actuator is a little bit more of a challenge but also fairly straightforward to swap.

Hope this info helps you in your decision.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Thanks.. Here goes $1700. This is by the most i've ever spent on furniture.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought 4 of these with a center love seat, I got bonded/manual. I love them and the wife loves them. I ordered form theaterseatstore too. Placed my order on a Tuesday and had them on Monday. No issues.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a reference, I have 4 Berkline 090's which Lane and I think one other makes now. All 4 chairs are bonded with manual recline and have surveyed a family of 5 for over 8 years and 2 moves. As for power or manual recline, for me it was a different factor. I choose manual, because its faster to get up and chase the kids! Enjoy your purchase and post how you like them.

Brad
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page