Experience With Panamax MR4300 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought a new Denon 2113 today for a smoking deal ($449) at Best Buy today and was "highly advised" thru what was clearly the classic upsell technique, to protect my equipment by something better than my current old Monster Powerstrip.

Despite the cool look to this thing and much cleaner arrangement of hooking up all power cables, what true benefit does this component provide me? Was told that Panamax pays out in full for any component that suffers failure or damage, and has a great reputation for doing so. Has ANYONE out there experienced a power surge or something which fried any components and been taken care of by Panamax?

I would love to hear the true benefits of this item and if the $249 was worth it in the long run. Appreciate anything you can give me on inside scoop on this and exactly what the damn thing does for me. Is it just a glorified powerstrip in disguise?
One thing I'm not clear on is the series of outlets on the back. "Linear Level Filtration" and the "Dedicated High Current" ones?

http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/MR4300.php

http://ele021.electronic2u.info/5-dealer-for-panamax-mr4300-home-theater-power-conditioner-do-not-wait/

http://www.worshiptechdecisions.com/article/panamax_expands_power_management_line_with_mr4300_and_mr5100

Many thanks all.

Gunny out.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post

Bought a new Denon 2113 today for a smoking deal ($449) at Best Buy today and was "highly advised" thru what was clearly the classic upsell technique, to protect my equipment by something better than my current old Monster Powerstrip.

Despite the cool look to this thing and much cleaner arrangement of hooking up all power cables, what true benefit does this component provide me? Was told that Panamax pays out in full for any component that suffers failure or damage, and has a great reputation for doing so. Has ANYONE out there experienced a power surge or something which fried any components and been taken care of by Panamax?

I would love to hear the true benefits of this item and if the $249 was worth it in the long run. Appreciate anything you can give me on inside scoop on this and exactly what the damn thing does for me. Is it just a glorified powerstrip in disguise?

Well, first, you probably don't need it. If you've got a good surge protector, you're fine. Spending $250 for "insurance" on a $500 AVR - you'll be better off putting that money away for an upgrade later.

The Panamax units and ones like them are doing more than a simple surge protector (filters, etc.), so it's not a 'rip off', but if you're not having any power-line-related problems, it's probably not going to make much of a difference, either. Assuming you have a decent surge protector (and many name brands have similar protection warranties).

That said, they are excellent power protection devices, and I have one in my rack.

I haven't had anything fried (or have a Panamax unit "take the bullet"), but I did have a nifty experience with one years ago. I was sitting in my family room in early summer with the windows open, reading a book, without any of the A/V gear turned on. I heard the distinct "clunk" of a relay/breaker tripping coming from my A/V stack across the room - and had enough time to look over, see the LEDs on the Panamax unit all off, and think "what the hell?", when Boom! from outside comes the noise of a transformer blowing - probably a block or two away.

A few seconds later, "click" goes the Panamax and the LEDs come back on... So it definitely did it's job that day.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Dude this is EXACTLY what I was looking for and I seriously appreciate you takin the time to write it for me! I will DEF keep it but just wanted to hear from real people out there, not sales staff, about these units. Good save man!!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM

I think I am like you on this one. Bought the same Denon 2113 at Best Buy (couldnt beat the price) and the same Paramax MR4300. Go FIGURE!
I jumped on this forum to see what is being said after this impulse buy (Even though I needed both)
Saw that you posted in Feb, how are you liking yours so far?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 PM

Is the Panamax product basically doing the same thing plus a little more than the Middle Atlantic PDU-X products? I am trying to determine what should be a few of my very first product purchases. I am pretty much building a rack from scratch and need suggestions.

Follow up:

It pretty much goes un said you would want to plug the most costly / most effected by nasty power components directly into the 4300 However....

If I mount a Panamax in the rack but still need more outlets.... say I want to put up to 8 Sonos Amps in the lower 1/4 of the rack on a shelf. What is the most appropriate approach to power all of these units.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 11:29 PM

Liked: 11
Just bought a MR4300 along with my new avr. I already have a brickwall surge protector, but it doesn't have anything for coax or ethernet. Also, not all the Panamax models support gigabtt ethernet which the MR4300 does.

I have the Panamax plugged into the brickwall so I now have 2 layers of protection.

Also, I know from previous experience that Panamax is fairly easy to deal with if you have a claim. My parents had a faulty transformer outside their house which fried a lower end panamax model and the tv it was connected to. Panamax replaced the both the surge protector and the tv. They actually replaced the surge protector twice because they didn't know about the transformer at first.

Sony XBR 55HX929 | Tivo Roamio Pro | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR7008 | Infinity Interlude 5.1 Speakers & Sub | Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories