Remote control dimmer for LED's - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I bought the Philips Hue LED lights and love them. Works with my Harmony Ultimate remote and there is also an app to control them via my iPhone. I can control each light individually or all of them at the same time. They are expensive but we love them, very col light colors and I really like how I can control each light color individually. I hope they go down in price as more competition shows up but my wife and I are thrilled with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally decided to buy the Lutron Maestro 3 Way Incandescent IR Dimmer (MIR-603THW-LA). This dimmer works great with my incandescent, but just like my old dimmer the Cree LEDs only dim to about 40% of their brightness (which is way too bright for me). I therefore have decided to simply continue using incandescents in my TV room (where I want very low dimming). I think the LED dimming market is just too new. Maybe in a decade or two they'll have a it all figured out, but IMHO if you want good and inexpensive dimming, incandescent is the best and easiest way.

Just to satisfy my inner geek, I did buy one Feit "Energy Saving 40 Watt Halogen BR30 (Q40BR30/ES)" (puts out 65W worth of light with 40W) since I had read that halogens dim as well as incandescents (and save a little energy too). As an added bonus these energy efficient (relative to incandescent) halogen bulbs are still legal under the new US bulb energy conservation laws. This halogen bulb does indeed work well with my dimmer, it dims smoothly down to a very low level.

However, it's not exactly the same as my incandescents, the Feit halogen bulb seems to be just a bit brighter than my incandescents on the same dimmer. This may be a pro or con, depending on if you want just a little more light out of your bulbs. The difference is pretty small though. If I didn’t know the halogen bulb was there I wouldn’t notice it’s brighter. However, if you told me that one bulb in the room was different I’d be able to pick it out pretty quickly. Another way to put it in perspective, as others have pointed out dimmers seem to make incandescents just a little less bright when the dimmer is set to max brightness (than they would be if you used a normal non-dimmable switch). The halogen bulb seems to be just bright enough to compensate for that small amount of brightness that's lost.
post #33 of 44 Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FWIW, Phillips, CREE, and other bulb makers have compatible dimmer's on their websites.

I'm confused too.

post #34 of 44 Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81 View Post

FWIW, Phillips, CREE, and other bulb makers have compatible dimmer's on their websites.

I know Cree has a list of compatible dimmers and Lutron has a list of compatible LCD bulbs for their LCD dimmers. Even if you get the right model numbers to match up between dimmers and bulb so that they're compatible, does that mean they'll dim low? Technically, Cree's bulbs are compatible with all of my current dimmers, they just don't dim very low. I think being compatible means that you don't need to worry about having enough load on the dimmer to allow it to work, not that it will actually dim to a low level. I could be wrong though, I just didn't want to spend the time to find out.
post #35 of 44 Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
I don't think any of the LED's dim as much as halogens.

here's a quick comparison. outside bulbs are led, middle is a standard 50w halogen

highest setting(led's may be a touch brighter, but it looks super close in person)

about 50%

lowest setting before off

I used to have the halogens set to around 20% or so, they were dark enough to not make much of an impact on my projection screen, but just bright enough to not bump into stuff. now, on the lowest setting, the LED's are too bright to use the projector with them on. they drastically increase the black floor on screen, and the only way to fix this is to have them more focused(I did a 'mod' to spread out the narrow beam angle) but then they don't have an appealing light pattern. I end up with bright spots on the chairs, and a dark room.

I normally have them off anyway, but this is definitely one area the LED bulbs suffer. it may be the only area...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #36 of 44 Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
I've used Lutron CL dimmers and they have a trim pot that allows you to set the minimum light level. LEDs get pretty dark set properly.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #37 of 44 Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
^^wish they'd make a version like that with the ir remote... no such setting on my dimmers.

does that affect their brightest setting in any way?

the other issue I have is the bulbs starting to flicker, they seem pretty stable in my theatre room, but the ones in my bedroom start to do that at the lowest setting.

but it's good to know with the right bulbs and the right switch they can dim properly. thx

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #38 of 44 Old 02-13-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has there been any technological innovation that allows this to happen yet?
post #39 of 44 Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post
. I thought I had found one in the Lutron MIR600-THW, but the website says it won't dim LEDs. Anyone have an idea?
Take a look at the MIRELV600-THW. It will dim some LED's.
88Driver likes this.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #40 of 44 Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I bought the Philips Hue LED lights and love them. Works with my Harmony Ultimate remote and there is also an app to control them via my iPhone. I can control each light individually or all of them at the same time. They are expensive but we love them, very col light colors and I really like how I can control each light color individually. I hope they go down in price as more competition shows up but my wife and I are thrilled with them.
Is there a cheaper way to do this? I'm installing 20-24 of the Globe recessed which use GU10's but at $60/bulb, holy smokes!
post #41 of 44 Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone used a GU10 to E26 adapter in a Globe recessed light kit? I'd post the link on amazon but I can't.
post #42 of 44 Old 06-05-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is the best led downlight and dimmer combination for maximum dimming capibility? I am looking to add 6 cans, (most likely 5" cans.. "halo h5icat") to my theater, but most of the LED options I have tested with a lutron dimmer don't get very dim at all.. The dimmer I have been using to test is the lutron skylark contour CL.
post #43 of 44 Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Figured i'd keep an old thread going, are LED lights prone to buzzing like incandesent lights when down low, how is the Lutron Maestro dimmer ?

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #44 of 44 Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Figured i'd keep an old thread going, are LED lights prone to buzzing like incandesent lights when down low, how is the Lutron Maestro dimmer ?
It seems to depend highly on the bulb/dimmer combination. I'm using a GE Z-Wave dimmer with SunSun MR16 LEDs, and no buzzing at all. In another room, I had some Phillips LEDs (standard style) on a Leviton dimmer, and they would buzz at a couple different levels.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page