Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I'm having a theater built right now and honestly didn't think much about remote lighting control, system linking for automated actions, etc. But now that it's getting closer to finishing I realize that the lighting will be an issue since the two switches (overhead cans and sconces separately) are down by the entry door while I plan to be up in the seats starting the show. So I've been doing a little searching and it looks like there are a few options for Rf wireless remote control (Maestro Rf, SmartHome Insteon) that would probably work for me, but I don't have a good feel for what is required of me. I'm sorta handy and know to switch breakers so I don't kill myself, etc. Is doing work like adding one of these to my room overly complicated or can any dummy do it?

The second part of this, of course, is that one day I'll probably want to link the lighting with the projector turning on and off, etc. So ideally I'd like to start with something that can be expanded to control more than just two light switches. I'd appreciate any enlightenment y'all can shed on this topic for me.

Thank you, Scott

Something profound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
My theater, and the majority of my house, are automated via Insteon and I love it. Very reliable. The entire theater is controlled by a single keypad outside the theater door. Once in the theater, the lights are controlled by my Harmony remote and turn off, dim, etc. with the normal play, stop and pause buttons on the remote. I can control the lights separately as well, but it is convenient for the lights to all go off when I hit play but come back up to 50% when I hit pause, etc.

You can start small with just a few switches and a remote and add to it later as your needs expand.

There is a little bit more of a learning curve than with X10, but easily managed by anyone that can set up and wire a home entertainment system.

Great way to go, IMHO.

Shan
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks for the response, Shan. I think the Inteon sounds like a reasonable way to go and will talk to the electricians this week about starting off with the lights.

Which Harmony remote do you have? I have a Harmony One upstairs that I was thinking about moving down to the theater since it'll be more useful there. But it's not RF, so I may go back to my old URC9910 remote while I look at more powerful remotes to control everything down there.

Scott

Something profound

post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I use a Harmony One and a Xantech IR repeater system in the theater. I was going to go with the higher end Harmony to get RF support but decided not to since it does not support the Sequences feature I needed to control the lights and the player with a single button press. I've found the Xantech system to be extremely reliable...been using it for ten years or so without issue.

Shan
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page