Remote help! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about 2 weeks out from having my first home theater up and running. I am trying to decide on a remote to buy. I need somthing that will run my 7.1 Denon reciever, Epson 8350 projector and blu-ray player, all of which are hidden in a different room. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really like to spend no more than $230.00 but would consider it if there is a must have! Any help is greatley appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Rechargeable-Remote-Screen/dp/B002IC0YL8

Harmony 900 IR and RF (Radio Frequency) will go through walls for you.

This is what I use and on sale about 20 bucks over your budget. I bought mine used on ebay ($75)and absolutely love it because I can create custom touch screen buttons and still have the hard buttons for changing channels or volume in the dark.

The nice thing about it is once you set it up it is easy for your other family members to use by selecting the activity they want to use. I named my activities "watch DTV" "Watch a Bluray" "Use Computer" Once they select an activity the remote turns on the equipment and changes the inputs for your AVR ect... to quote Apple it just works. haha

you will have to plug the remote into your computer to program it with your activities and equipment however I have found the process to be simple. If you want to delve deeper you can and I customized the remote to control XBMC when I am using the watch computer activity.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I have had a Harmony One for probably 5+ years.
I have a love/hate relationship with it. It has been alot better since I changed all my gear around over the summer, but it used to not shut things off right or turn them on right. I had to hit Help alot.

Logitech's support is great though. If its under warranty and under $100 part they let you keep it and send you a new one.
I have had them help with with latency settings on my remote and a bunch of other questions and they were prompt to help so i will give them that.

The secret to this remote is getting the timings right for all your equipment. It can take a bit though.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

The Harmony One is ir only so it wont reach through your walls but it is a good remote as well. I have the Harmony One for our living room.