Even more pre-movie slides - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't use anything fancy like the XBMC script but I do have a basic slideshow running on an AppleTV in our theatre room (automatically starts showing random slides after 2 minutes). I use some of the slides others have put up on this site. And I've posted most of the slides I created here:

http://squareworld.com/theatre/

Some of the themes include

- Box Office Champs
- Best Picture Winners
- Taglines
- Critic's Corner
- Movies of 2013
- And my favorite, (Unofficial) Rifftrax slides

Bad news: 720 only for now (hard to find higher rez images for these things sometimes!)
Good news: over 200 slides to give your show a little more variety.

Enjoy!
fibertech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you very much
post #3 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice!

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #4 of 16 Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Is it possible to get the PSD's for these?
post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post

Is it possible to get the PSD's for these?

I started posting these online over a year ago, but let Google be the only way anyone would find them. I decided to start letting people know about them on forums like this after I saw someone had released a set of slides that looked very very similar to one of mine without mentioning the "inspiration". (Not accusing him, but it would have to be a big coincidence otherwise!) So I'm a little leery of posting the original files, especially on some of the more original themed slides or the ones i put the most work into.

Considering the fact that I spend way too much time creating these and offer them for free, I hope you'll understand. Hope that doesn't sound too egotistical or ungrateful because I appreciate your feedback and support!
post #6 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

NEW SLIDES! I've started two new sets!

- AFI 100 Movie Quotes: I'm half way through creating slides for the AFI's top 100 movie quotes of all time. When I get done I'll go back and make slides that allow your viewers to guess the film the quote is from before it is revealed.

- Double Takes: These slides feature those times Hollywood copycats release two films within a year of each other with the exact same plot.

Hope you enjoy them!

http://squareworld.com/theatre/
post #7 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThree View Post

I started posting these online over a year ago, but let Google be the only way anyone would find them. I decided to start letting people know about them on forums like this after I saw someone had released a set of slides that looked very very similar to one of mine without mentioning the "inspiration". (Not accusing him, but it would have to be a big coincidence otherwise!) So I'm a little leery of posting the original files, especially on some of the more original themed slides or the ones i put the most work into.

Considering the fact that I spend way too much time creating these and offer them for free, I hope you'll understand. Hope that doesn't sound too egotistical or ungrateful because I appreciate your feedback and support!

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. A brand new member's output was very, very similar to some of my own slides, while others flat-out used the elements from my templates and just moved them around a little... then presented them as his own work The AVS community's reaction to his shenanigans ran him off for a while. But I'm nearly certain he has recently "risen from the ashes", as it were, with a new account and is now presenting work that is not based on any of my own 6 volumes of slides. That's all I'll say about that...

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #8 of 16 Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 PM

These are great. Thanks!
post #9 of 16 Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #10 of 16 Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I'm going to assume you're talking about me, since you're absolutely right about my Blockbusters set being nearly identical to your Box Office Champ set. I will say that I had not even seen your slide packs until just now (as far as I can remember), but given that they're so similar - it's very possible that I came across that particular pack ages ago and got the idea for the template design there. I'm going to add you to the credits for that pack, since you clearly released that one before I released mine, and I apologize for not giving credit where it was due. That said - I may hit you up a little later to attempt to steal your Double Takes set idea and add that content to my themed slides. That's a really neat idea! I've got a ton of trivia to work through before I get there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Good View Post

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. A brand new member's output was very, very similar to some of my own slides, while others flat-out used the elements from my templates and just moved them around a little... then presented them as his own work The AVS community's reaction to his shenanigans ran him off for a while. But I'm nearly certain he has recently "risen from the ashes", as it were, with a new account and is now presenting work that is not based on any of my own 6 volumes of slides. That's all I'll say about that...

At the risk of sounding conceited, I'm going to assume this is in reference to my slides since I'm basically the only newcomer that I've seen creating slide packs. I can assure you, I'm not the reincarnation of anyone who stole your work in the past. I only recently decided to put together an HTPC using XBMC, and then got inspired to create slide content to make my personal HTPC experience more fluid. I really like your Coke themed slides - it's a really nostalgic throw back to the stuff I remember. I did find your slide packs a while back, and have specifically stayed away from creating anything like a throw back set in an effort to stay out of your business. I'm certainly not trying to eat into your profits or undermine your hard work.

I've tried to stay honest about where I get my ideas, and my data in an effort to be wholly transparent. I also release development kits for my slides in the hopes that others will get inspiration for new packs that they will release to the communities.

Kodi Entertainment Center

Ratings Videos, Introduction Videos, Trivia Slides and more...

Cinema Experience | Cinema Experience Wiki
post #11 of 16 Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

RagnaroktA: it was not you I was referring to. It was another member who "rose from the ashes"...

post #12 of 16 Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

RagnaroktA: it was not you I was referring to. It was another member who "rose from the ashes"...

Well that's good to hear! Like I said, I'm not in the game of stepping on toes and taking credit for the work of others. I just want to make content and distribute it to anyone who wants it.

post #13 of 16 Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Hopefully that wasn't me. I did admittedly dabble with the Coke Screenplay Vol. 6 collection to learn how to make slides in the beginning. I believe I even posted what I dabbled with for free. Probably bad judgement on my part. All of my non-free volumes are all original work.

Don't recall any AVS community adverse reactions and have only had the one account since joining in 2010. So some of what Steven is saying points to me but other parts don't.

Steven did suggest that I create a new thread for them so members would not get confused between the two collections. I did as requested, but upon returning to that thread after reading this post I did notice that I did not reiterate that they were made from Steven's templates. So I put in a disclaimer in, wish I had noticed it sooner.

The original post can be found on page 6 of the Coke Screenplay Volume Six thread.

Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes in that early year. That was not my intention. If anything Steven Good was the inspiration of the SlideVision project. If you have not picked up Coke Screenplay Volume 6 I'd highly recommend it there is a huge variety of slides in the collection and the details put into them are top rate.

On a side note all those Coke Screenplay like slides were donated to Steven Good's collection at the time of the release of HT SlideVision Vol. 1.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaroktA View Post

I'm going to assume you're talking about me, since you're absolutely right about my Blockbusters set being nearly identical to your Box Office Champ set. I will say that I had not even seen your slide packs until just now (as far as I can remember), but given that they're so similar - it's very possible that I came across that particular pack ages ago and got the idea for the template design there. I'm going to add you to the credits for that pack, since you clearly released that one before I released mine, and I apologize for not giving credit where it was due. That said - I may hit you up a little later to attempt to steal your Double Takes set idea and add that content to my themed slides. That's a really neat idea! I've got a ton of trivia to work through before I get there though...

No problems on the Blockbusters. The idea is far from original so fair game there. It was just the look of them that gave me pause! But it did push me to share these outside my little website bubble, so that's a pretty good outcome!

On the Double Takes, again not a super original idea since I got the inspiration from a Reddit thread. Though i don't really see the point of remaking slides already out there. Is it for people that want all their slides to match I guess?

If you have a site or a forum link to your stuff let me know and I'll add it to the list of slides on my site.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Though i don't really see the point of remaking slides already out there. Is it for people that want all their slides to match I guess?

If you have a site or a forum link to your stuff let me know and I'll add it to the list of slides on my site.

That is exactly it. I'm relatively anal about continuity in the look of my stuff. What I'm really doing is creating slides that I want to use and releasing them to others who may want to use them. All of my slides and packs can be found on the XBMC Forum.

post #16 of 16 Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Great stuff

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page