Rope lights - power cord WAY too long.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought some rope lights from Home Depot to go under the riser lip in my basement theater. They look great, except the power cord is about 5 feet too long, and ruins the look. I don't know much about these lights (Harbor Bay) - is there anything special about the power cord, or can I cut five feet out of it and splice it back together with black electrical tape? I did a search and found a number of threads discussing these lights, but nothing about hiding the LONG power cord....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, you can certainly cut the length of the cord down. You just need to make sure that you don't rearrange the wires. . Keep track of which wire goes to which wire. If it's 120v AC (which is likely unless it has a wall-wart or other converter at the plug end), it actually won't matter how you reconnect it, but you'll want to keep it the same regardless.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambermont View Post

I bought some rope lights from Home Depot to go under the riser lip in my basement theater. They look great, except the power cord is about 5 feet too long, and ruins the look. I don't know much about these lights (Harbor Bay) - is there anything special about the power cord, or can I cut five feet out of it and splice it back together with black electrical tape? I did a search and found a number of threads discussing these lights, but nothing about hiding the LONG power cord....

A little safer way of doing this and a lot nicer looking than a splice, would be to cut 5 feet from the plug end and install a replacement plug.