My poster box light is off :( - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I snagged an amazing deal on this poster box but we can't figure out what to do to get it to light up. We are nervous about opening it because it is sealed. Any ideas?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you haven't figured this out yet, it looks like the frame on the front opens up like a snap frame. Try prying each edge of the frame open with your fingers and pulling them toward the outer edge of the poster case. You can then remove the diffuser and overlay to get to the bulbs. Check the bulbs first. If it's not those, then it's likely that the only way you are going to get it working is to open up the box itself. It is probably sealed because it was used as an outdoor unit. So if you are not planning to use it outdoors then breaking the seal will probably won't matter. It it used fluorescent (which it looks like) bulbs it's probably just a bad ballast that can be purchased at your local Home Depot or electrical supply house for $15 or so.

Good luck!

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Inside, those are often just simple lights. As Ken mentioned, open it up and take a look inside. Best case, a simple bulb replacement. Worst case a few more parts to replace. You should be able to have that up and running in no time.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!!! Ken your advise was a lifesaver!!! We have the lights and will be getting a price tonight. The ballast.....is not there! There isn't even room for one. We are wondering if its possible that it was external? [IMG][IMG][IMG]
post #5 of 6 Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
...The ballast.....is not there! There isn't even room for one. We are wondering if its possible that it was external?
Possible but highly unlikely. You probably have 2 ballasts (6 tube ballasts are pretty rare, 3 or 4 tube pretty common) and they are up in the top part of the box. Another option is to rewire the box to use these or similar: http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-LED-fluorescent-replacement-ballast/dp/B002P3FQI6.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

We have all the new bulbs. Not installed yet. While looking at where to put lights in I had a peek for the ballast up top. This pic shows a something?!? But unless it is a ballast, there is nothing up top. What you see here is the top thin frame, there is nothing above. The rest of it looks just like the bottom. No room for ballast. Well, I'm going to try the bulbs. Feel free to hit me with any more ideas. It's too simple to just replace bulbs. My confidence level for this working is low frown.gif keep your fingers crossed for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page