Buttkicker question! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a question for people who know alot about buttkickers or any tactile systems, I'm aware that you can connect them to a sub output on a receiver, now, I have a soundbar and therefore no receiver (convenience)... BUT, this particular soundbar has a subwoofer output incase you want to buy a separate sub, as it has a built in sub -- my question is, could I use that sub output on the soundbar to connect it to the buttkicker, as you would do for a AV receiver?

I believe it would work, because as far as I know, it works exactly the same as a sub output on an AV receiver, can somebody confirm that this would be possible?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It should work, but you still need a power amplifier to power the buttkickers.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #3 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah but its not like that's something extra that you have to buy if you don't have a receiver, that usually comes with buttkicker kits, don't they?
post #4 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, it depends on what exactly you are trying to do. You can buy the buttkickers separately, and you can buy the amp separately. You can buy them as a kit. It would depend on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #5 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking for a tactile system appropriate for a small 2 seat sofa, what would you recommend?
post #6 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I also hope that having it plugged in via sub output would not stop the built-in sub from working along with it, is that a possibility?
post #7 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VColossalV View Post

I'm looking for a tactile system appropriate for a small 2 seat sofa, what would you recommend?

Aura Pro Bass Shakers. You should be able to gat a new pair for around $100 on eBay. Run a coax cable from the sub out on your sound bar to a small plate amplifier in the 70 to 100 watt range. Again you should be able to find that new on eBay for around $100. I would recommend a Dayton plate amplifier. So for around $200 and a few feet of speaker wire you should be able to do this project. There is nothing wrong with Buttkickers except they are way too much money for your little project. You will be happy with the Bass Shakers. Don't try to run any of the transducers without an amplifier.

***No the Bass Shakers will not stop the sound bar sub from working but there may be times you want to turn the Bass Shakers off when the sound bar is on.. You can do that either by pulling the sub cable or turning the plate amplifier off. One nice feather about the Dayton plate amplifier is that it has an "auto" position if your sound bar puts out a strong enough signal to activate it. With "auto" your Bass Shakers turn on and off with your sound bar and don't have to be controlled separately.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll look into them - Another question, will the built-in sub on this sound bar still work when this is set up?
post #9 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I've looked at the Buttkicker mini, would that not be powerful enough for a 2 seat sofa?
post #10 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

I've looked at the Buttkicker mini, would that not be powerful enough for a 2 seat sofa?

First off, please reread what I wrote to find answers to what you keep asking. Secondly, you would need two Buttkicker minis and that would cost you far more than what I am suggesting. I don't think you realize that the Buttkickers of any size require a far more powerful amplifier and power costs money. You can accomplish the same thing with the Bass Shakers with a less powerful amplifier. Also, Buttkickers require a proprietary amplifier unless you want to a take a chance and rig another kind. That proprietary amplifier costs a lot because Buttkicker has the market cornered.

******Go over to the BluRay.com forums and read about Transducers for more information. Transducers are like anything else, you can throw a lot of money at them if brand names impress you.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm from the UK, so obviously I can't have them shipped overseas without spending a fortune on shipping - I found the shakers you were talking about here---

http://shakercentre.co.uk/aspbite/products/products.asp?intProductsID=17

£180 ($250?) for 2? I don't know about that.

Would I need to mount them to the inside of the sofa?
post #12 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I'm from the UK, so obviously I can't have them shipped overseas without spending a fortune on shipping - I found the shakers you were talking about here---

http://shakercentre.co.uk/aspbite/products/products.asp?intProductsID=17

£180 ($250?) for 2? I don't know about that.

Would I need to mount them to the inside of the sofa?

I have no idea about UK prices. I bought 2 new Bass Shaker Pros off of eBay for $95 USD and that included shipping. Do a little Googling about installing and check out the BluRay.com site I recommended. The BluRay.com site has pictures.I mostly use eBay for my supplies but some people like Amazon. Both sites have UK versions and you should be able to find local sellers.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to find them anywhere in the UK for any where near the price you got them for. On Ebay there's a new pair selling for £132 free postage --

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aura-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker-Pair-/230974840350?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35c72c5e1e

That's the best I could find, there are none on Amazon.co.uk.

Another thing, I want the setup to be kind to the neighbours, who live directly below - Rubber feet on the sofa should be good enough to stop vibrations from passing through to the floor, right?
post #14 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I can't seem to find them anywhere in the UK for any where near the price you got them for. On Ebay there's a new pair selling for £132 free postage --

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aura-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker-Pair-/230974840350?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35c72c5e1e

That's the best I could find, there are none on Amazon.co.uk.

Another thing, I want the setup to be kind to the neighbours, who live directly below - Rubber feet on the sofa should be good enough to stop vibrations from passing through to the floor, right?

Yes, if you keep your volume to a reasonable level. I thought prices were bad here but they seem worse in the UK. Some of the guys on the BluRay.com forum are from the UK. Ask them where they got theirs. The UK has some pretty good Home Theater and Audio magazines I have looked through on the newsstands. You could thumb through those to see if you could find any dealers. Best of luck with your project.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-18-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I've found a kit that might be as good, it's twice as powerful as a buttkicker mini - and comes with an amp... it's a little more then I'd get for a 100watt plate amp and 2 aura pro bass shakers, £245 for the kit. Tell me what you think.

http://www.shakercentre.co.uk/aspbite/products/products.asp?intProductsID=116&content=gamer_extreme

The only problem I'd have is mounting it to the sofa, because it's suppose to clamp to office chairs and gaming rigs, but there must be a way... it can be attached to any vertical post.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page