Newbie needing some help with a setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok you can kinda get a feel of my setup on this thread and get up to date on what i'm trying to setup.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472863/home-a-v-distribution-newbie-needing-help#post_23326694

I have also decided not to put internet in my home at the moment because it would just add another bill but i do have internet at my business. What I'm trying to do is figure out the most cost effective way to build a setup i want. I've already figured out how to setup a home media server and I'm going to use plex to access in through a raspberry pi or ROKU for the stuff already on my hd via a LAN network on any tv in the house. But I really don't want to have to rip all of my dvd's and put them on the server so I thought of using something like the Sony 400 disk dvd player and using some database software like Collectorz but I don't really understand how to set all this stuff up nor do I know if these are really good products. I'm also just wanting the dvd players in in one closet so they can be accessed from any tv without it having to be in the room and if I use that database software does the info stay on the computer once i unhook it from the internet and move it to the house? I know this is a lot of jumbled info but i could really use some guidance. And if there is anything i'm forgetting let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A couple of things. First, you are apparently working on a very low budget. Only fair to warn you that the Sony changer was discontinued nearly a year ago and was not replaced. These units go for a very high premium these days and I doubt you could find one for under $1k, even used.

Ripping is really the best solution, and since you have the PC probably the most cost effective.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

That's what I think because I just ripped my first DVD the other day and it was faster than I thought. And I don't have the computer yet I think I'm going to build a custom computer and try to do it on a budget of like $500. Got any good ideas on anything that might help me?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agreed, a simple HTPC is your best bet.

I prefer Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.

Slysoft.com will help with ripping your movies.

My new site is up: http://www.MyPreMovie.com/ - the ultimate in pre-movie showing, it's a fun hobby!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chan-man View Post

That's what I think because I just ripped my first DVD the other day and it was faster than I thought. And I don't have the computer yet I think I'm going to build a custom computer and try to do it on a budget of like $500. Got any good ideas on anything that might help me?

$500 isn't a lot. Try finding a used machine that is a generation or 2 old. They tend to go for bargain prices and if well maintained can do nicely. Say a windows XP media edition with a core 2 processor should be sufficient for what you need. One with a bluray drive would be nice as well.

Reason I say $500 is pushing it, is that you will likely need to add mass storage at around $75/TB these days. If you do any bluray at all, you will chew up a TB fairly quickly. If you stick with DVD and the cheaper ripping software, you should be OK.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I might try that but have you tried plex server on windows? I think that will be my best bet since I'm going to be accessing it from raspberry pi's running raspex. Another thing does the plex environment work with no Internet I know it won't have metadata but I can just move the computer to my bussines to get that. I guess what I'm actually asking is does the metadata get cached when its downloaded that way it will still be there when its not connected to the Internet?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page