Power Conditioners and Surge Protectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking into purchasing an APC line conditioner and voltage protector but they have so many models I am not sure just which would be the best for me. Not always is the most expensive one the best for home theater so I am hoping some of you will have some good suggestions.
Much thanks.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post

I have been looking into purchasing an APC line conditioner and voltage protector but they have so many models I am not sure just which would be the best for me. Not always is the most expensive one the best for home theater so I am hoping some of you will have some good suggestions.
Much thanks.
Steve

What is it you are protecting? Why do you think you need it, do you have frequent brown outs, power dip and blackouts?
I have city power in a stable area and my projector and cable box plugged into a 600watt UPs so if there is a blip the projector stays on. If the power goes out, then can do a normal shutdown. Unless you have serious power problems I personally don't believe power conditioners do anything more the Monster Cables.. If you want to spend money to protect your equipment, have a whole house surge protector put in and have your cable and phone lines run through it as well. You will get other opinions as well .
post #3 of 17 Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am getting the new Panasonic ZT65" and thought it would be a good time to get a better conditioner/protector. My house is an old one, built in '54, and sometimes the current surge protector shuts things down which leads me to believe there are possibly some voltage issues. I never heard of a whole house surge protector. Where are they installed and do you have any recommendations?
Thanks for replying.
Steve
post #4 of 17 Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am getting the new Panasonic ZT65" and thought it would be a good time to get a better conditioner/protector. My house is an old one, built in '54, and sometimes the current surge protector shuts things down which leads me to believe there are possibly some voltage issues. I never heard of a whole house surge protector. Where are they installed and do you have any recommendations?
Thanks for replying.
Steve

They are installed at the panel by an electrician, I can not recommend one but what you have to understand before investing in them is once it is blow it has to be replaced as it is not a conditioner just a protection form surge. .Do a forum search in the Dedicated Theater forum you may find some info on them as well as conditioners and ups systems. The stuff those guys use cost more than most normal peoples equipment combined!rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:

Much thanks.
Steve

I'm in precisely the same boat.

I'm mostly interested in surge protection, but have no idea what's what nor do I have any idea whom to believe.

I'm technical in nature, so I know what a joule is: I just don't know what kind of lightening strike protection I really get from something around $100.  Or $30 when all they claim is surge protection.  And I don't want to spend much more than $100 if I can avoid it.  I just want to avoid catastrophes.

Should I be using the coax connections for the FIOS STB????  Will it interfere with the digital feed?  I've heard it might.  But I've also heard that since the FIOS (ONT?) box is inside (basement), then the only connection to the outside world is a fiber line, so all I need to worry about is the power connection.

I'm primarily trying to protect a new Sony KDL-60R550A.  That's really all.  That's the only expensive critical component right now in the TV room.  I've heard that line conditioners come in two flavors, one of which being a purely clean sine wave, but I've also heard that those are complete overkill.

I don't need a UPS, but if that's the best way to get sensible protection, then so be it.

Looking for personal experiences here and off-the-top-of-your-head suggestions.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought this one from monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10912&cs_id=1083901&p_id=4153&seq=1&format=2 and currently run it with my dish network box, receiver and projector all running through it. I looked around and for the value I really couldn't beat it. I have had it for about 4 months now without any problems. The only thing I don't like is the led display is a little bright and I have my cabinet in the theater room. I forgot to add that with everything running it shows it is at about 70% capacity.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

LED fix is here http://www.lightdims.com/ Website is a bit over the top but the product works well and for $10-14 is a cheap way to deal with the problem. You will have them forever as you get WAY more than you will ever use..
post #8 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 12
I am having a Cutler Hammer CHSPT2ULTRA installed but I also want to get a good surge protector for my Panny plasma, Dish Hopper, a/v receiver and BRP. I am looking at the following:

Brickwall Eight outlet audio surge protector
Tripp Lite ISOBAR8ULTRA
SurgeX SX6

Anyone better/worse than the others? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60; Onkyo TX-NR818; Dish Hopper with Sling
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post

I bought this one from monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10912&cs_id=1083901&p_id=4153&seq=1&format=2 and currently run it with my dish network box, receiver and projector all running through it.

Why did you go whole-hog and get a UPS though?  For the conditioning, or did you actually need it to stay running through power outages?  Does a UPS allow for a gentle shutdown with TVs (the way they do with computers) somehow?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Does a UPS allow for a gentle shutdown with TVs (the way they do with computers) somehow?

Yep, when all the lights go out, and the UPS kicks in, and the alarm goes off, you wait a minute and if the power has not come back on, you shut everything off and lite a candle!
post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Quote:

Does a UPS allow for a gentle shutdown with TVs (the way they do with computers) somehow?

Yep, when all the lights go out, and the UPS kicks in, and the alarm goes off, you wait a minute and if the power has not come back on, you shut everything off and lite a candle!

No, I mean automatically.  When used for computers, when the UPS power hits a certain low-water mark, there's usually a way to feed back info to the PC to tell it to shutdown.  This prevents it from croaking when the UPS power runs out eventually and effectively just pulls the plug.  PC's certainly don't like that kind of thing, and I'm was wondering if a harsh power-cut hurts TVs too?  If it did, the UPS could supply the IR signal for shutdown.

But I just googled around and found no evidence of 1. any UPS doing that and 2. any case where a TV would need that in the first place.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

typically the UPS is for a projector so the lamp can do a normal cool down. But if you have frequent short power drops outs you can keep everything going without have to shut anything down, or wait for the Cable box to reboot..
post #13 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

typically the UPS is for a projector so the lamp can do a normal cool down. But if you have frequent short power drops outs you can keep everything going without have to shut anything down, or wait for the Cable box to reboot..

I was excepting that situation.....it would certainly be a win in those cases.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

No, I mean automatically.  When used for computers, when the UPS power hits a certain low-water mark, there's usually a way to feed back info to the PC to tell it to shutdown.  This prevents it from croaking when the UPS power runs out eventually and effectively just pulls the plug.  PC's certainly don't like that kind of thing, and I'm was wondering if a harsh power-cut hurts TVs too?  If it did, the UPS could supply the IR signal for shutdown.

The fear with a computer is that you may not be around to properly shut it down before the UPS battery runs out. That's why the UPS sends feedback to make the computer do that itself.

However, generally, you probably wouldn't leave a projector running if you weren't there watching it. If the power cuts out and the UPS kicks in, you'll be there to power the display off and let the lamp cool down properly before the battery runs out.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Quote:

The fear with a computer is that you may not be around to properly shut it down before the UPS battery runs out. That's why the UPS sends feedback to make the computer do that itself.

Correct.

Quote:
However, generally, you probably wouldn't leave a projector running if you weren't there watching it. If the power cuts out and the UPS kicks in, you'll be there to power the display off and let the lamp cool down properly before the battery runs out.

There are many times when the cablebox is shut off by the kids but the TV is left running.  Further, there have been times when the channels have been left on for quite awhile.  It's just a concern: I don't now if there's a potential problem with harsh power-offs.  As a software engineer, I know how embedded software can look more like an operating system than many people think. (And often even employ an established one like Linux---many routers for instance are mini linux boxes).  There's all kinds of stuff that might not survive well in non-volatile memory.  Automatic firmware updates for instance might not behave well if interrupted.

post #16 of 17 Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm in precisely the same boat.

I'm mostly interested in surge protection, but have no idea what's what nor do I have any idea whom to believe.

I'm technical in nature, so I know what a joule is: I just don't know what kind of lightening strike protection I really get from something around $100.  Or $30 when all they claim is surge protection.  And I don't want to spend much more than $100 if I can avoid it.  I just want to avoid catastrophes.

Should I be using the coax connections for the FIOS STB????  Will it interfere with the digital feed?  I've heard it might.  But I've also heard that since the FIOS (ONT?) box is inside (basement), then the only connection to the outside world is a fiber line, so all I need to worry about is the power connection.

I'm primarily trying to protect a new Sony KDL-60R550A.  That's really all.  That's the only expensive critical component right now in the TV room.  I've heard that line conditioners come in two flavors, one of which being a purely clean sine wave, but I've also heard that those are complete overkill.

I don't need a UPS, but if that's the best way to get sensible protection, then so be it.

Looking for personal experiences here and off-the-top-of-your-head suggestions.

Take a look at the APC J35. First off, it's way better looking than that thing Monoprice sells (which has very sketchy reviews on the website). Obviously it has UPS capabilities which you stated you don't need. However, if you plug your FiOS receiver/DVR into a battery outlet, no more booting up after power outage and your DVR can continue to record uninterrupted. It has automatic voltage regulation to protect your equipment.from high or low current conditions in addition to noise filtering.. It also has green capability. Plug your TV into the master outlet. When it senses the TV is shut off, it will turn off the controlled outlets saving you the standby electricity they consume....for instance, your home theater receiver, Blu-ray player and Darblet. You can get the J25 for $100 less, it lacks the automatic voltage regulation. Both have 3 year warranties on the units, lifetime coverage on connected equipment.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:

But I just googled around and found no evidence of 1. any UPS doing that and 2. any case where a TV would need that in the first place.

Several Panamax units (ie: MB 1000) have that feature and any TV or projector that has a cooling fan for the bulb and might be unattended would need it.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
Sony Kdl 60r550a 60 Inch 120hz 1080p Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page