Raspberry PI and MoviePoster - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm extremely new to this thread and to the MoviePoster software so my apologies for the newbie questions. I've seen a few posts on how MoviePoster should work with XMBC on the Raspberry Pi. What I'm curious about is whether or not anyone successfully got this to work.

I'm using Raspbmc running XBMX 12.2. I'm running MoviePoster on a Windows 7 PC and it's not displaying on the Pi however it does say "Connected: XBMC 12.2 stable on 192.168.1.134".

Stupid Question #1: Does MoviePoster need to be registered before it will work? I haven't seen any post about this so I can't imagine that's my problem. I'm happy to make a donation once I can prove it will work.
Stupid Question #2: Is there some other software on the Pi that needs to be installed to make it display?

I can get the web portal for the Pi, I've used a password and not used a password. I've double checked all the settings. Like I said MoviePoster thinks it's connection is OK it just won't display on the Pi screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hello. Just browsing the forums and happened to spot your question on MoviePoster. No, it doesn't need to be registered to work. Its fully functional without registering, but you will get the registration pop up each time the application starts and you'll see the 'Not registered' message if its not registered. I don't have a Raspberry Pi, so I haven't fully tested it myself, but I believe there are others that have it working. XBMC and the protocols it uses are cross platform, so it shouldn't really matter what XBMC is running on. I have tested MoviePoster with XBMC on Windows 7, 8, iOS and Linux. There are few things you can double check. Check your XBMC settings under services, make sure that the http web server is turned on and your port numbers match what you have set in MoviePoster. If your not using a password, try specifying one and see if it makes any difference. Also, under Remote Control, make sure that the option to allow programs on other systems to control xbmc is checked. This gets overlooked a lot. If you still have difficulty, turn on logging in MoviePoster and send me a logfile and I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is. MoviePoster actually uses both the Http and JSON RPC protocols, however the connection status that's reported is really only for the JSON RPC protocol. I'll make a note to add more robust reporting of the connection status in the future. also, make sure you can ping the Pi from the Windows7 box. if its not pingable for whatever reason, MoviePoster doesnt attempt to show any playback status. Even if you can access the pi over the network for some other function, check with the actual ping command. Some operating systems can be set to not respond to ping requests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Really love the program and the work you're doing. I've been looking for exactly this functionality outside my home theater. I'm dying to get this going if I can.

Took your advice and double checked all the ports. Everything seems to be configured right. Like I said the status bar at the bottom of the poster indicates I'm connected it just won't push the display to the pi. I can successfully ping back and forth between my Windows 7 PC and pi so communication seems to be fine. I tried with and without a userid and password. I've attached a log file perhaps that will shed some light on things.

Thanks for the help. logfile.txt 11k .txt file
Attached Files
File Type: txt logfile.txt (10.9 KB, 5 views)
post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

For some reason (and I'm not questioning why) I was able to get MoviePoster working. I reset everything and low and behold it came up. Hopefully you haven't put any or much effort into my logfile. Thanks for developing this awesome software.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm glad its working for you. I skimmed through your logfile, but I didn't notice anything that should have prevented it form working though. Most of what was captured was just caching posters and trailers.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2 0 512mb
Gear in this thread - 512mb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page