Movie poster swapping program? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched but couldn't find any info on it. I'm still in the planning phase of my theater but I do want 4-6 posters on the walls but I'd like to change them our every few months to keep it fresh. New ones only run ~$20 but that's $100-$140 every few months which seems like a waste. What if we had (or is there already) a swap program where we just rotate posters around so everyone gets fresh ones without the cost (only shipping). Have you guys done this, would you use this service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Why not do a digital poster?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 32
Go on a ride in a small town and find a movie store named after the owner. We have one such store and he puts movies and posters aside for us and charges $1 a poster and sometimes throws some in for the heck of it biggrin.gif. LOVE people like that and hope his long standing business stays prosperous for a very long time! Heck he beat out blockbuster!
post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Liked: 21
you mean like a netflix or redbox service where you "rent" movie posters?
megdagooch likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Why not do a digital poster?

Where and how much please cool.gif
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM

We love the digital poster idea and before finding AVS we thought we invented the idea of using a flat panel TV smile.gif. We use a digital photo frame on the counter for the kids movies as a kind of digital lobby card smile.gif someday we will have the digital movie poster
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Liked: 11
Have you tried Ebay or Amazon. I don't really do a whole lot of dealings on Ebay because I was ripped off many of years ago, but I have found posters on Amazon for as cheap as ten cents. The shipping and handling is going to get you a little bit, but you're still going to end up with a few posters you can will love. The digital thing would be cool too, I'd also like to know where at and how much?
post #8 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo View Post

Where and how much please cool.gif

This is from the Cinemar Theater. He uses a software package called MainLobby to display that on a TV. It's controlled by his HTPC. That software package is really nice, but it is a little expensive.

You can also use XBMC and program called MoviePoster. It was developed by another AVS user meyer64. If you go with XMBC, your only cost would be a cheap used TV to hang on the wall and your PC.

-

post #9 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 AM

Can't you also just use the TV as a computer screen and slideshow free downloaded cover art? That was our plan. (Always trying to find a cheaper option smile.gif)
post #10 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Sure can, that's a great idea.
The cool think about MainLobby (one of many) is that poster will sync up to the movie being played and display some stats on the movie.
With MoviePoster, I think you define the list of posters you want to cycle through, kind of like your idea. I think it will also download some metadata on the movie as well as the trailer. I haven't played with it at all, just trying to remember what I've read about it. Additionall XBMC is free, and the last time I checked, MoviePoster was free but accepted donations.

I'm not trying to push one or the other, I just think they are both pretty cool software.

Another MainLobby image from the Cinemar Theater

-

post #11 of 16 Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Very cool!! We briefly looked into main lobby but passed it up as a "future project" seeing as we don't have a screen or carpet or ceiling yet smile.gif it's fun to play around with what we have though smile.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm glad to see more people talking about the MoviePoster software.
Just to clarify a few things, it can indeed communicate with xbmc to display 'now playing' information, but this is not required. So if you dont use xbmc you can still use MoviePoster without this feature.
The biggest feature in my mind is that it can automatically download new posters and metadata from themoviedb.org so your poster display always has something new without the need for you to do anything. Just set your categories and genres and the rest is automatic. If you prefer to define your own lists or manually add movies you can do that too, using a web based remote. You just search for a movie by name, select the add it, and MoviePoster does the rest.
The trailer fetching is automatic and can even auto play the trailer when the poster is shown.
MoviePoster also includes support for video / motion posters, trivia slides, and soon a configurable showtimes display.

There is more information and feature discussion in the MoviePoster thread or download it and give it a try at movieposterapp.com (work in progress)
post #13 of 16 Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Look on your local Craigslist. You will find theater workers in many cities that sell posters for recent movies for $1-5.

Or...
Look for better posters that cost more, but have longer coolness time. That way you can still rotate among a smaller set and after awhile you have all you need. Basically pick up whatever posters fuel memories for you. I rotate about once a year, and many of my posters have increased greatly in value over the last 20 years. I will put up stuff from the '40s through the '80s and rotate when it starts feeling stale. MY BTTF and Star Wars Style D are getting that waay, and are probably due to rotate out. Maybe rotate in Animal House and Breakfast Club. These sorts of posters have a longer wow factor than last month's flavor of the week.

For the older stuff, check out (see below) for discussion and www.emovieposter.com or www.movieposterbid.com for auction sites that specialize in classic posters.

I'm not down on the software display, just prefer the real thing. One thing to note is that one sheet posters changed size in the early '90s, so you need to be careful about 27x40 vs 27x41.

EDIT: I made a typo above. It is actually www.allposterforum.com for the discussion group. The one listed is a cheesy repro poster site.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Also check with theaters. Usually staff get first dib tho and take them and resell them. Which I believe TECHNICALLY they are not supposed to do. Studios give posters to theaters as handouts for movie go-ers. Not to profit from. Some theaters still offer them to the public first
post #15 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hands down Meyer64 has THE PREMIER best option available. I also own the Cinemar pkg but its 3 years old and I really never understood it fully. Meyer64's is a home grown solution, the guy built it in his spare time and I'm running it ...I can 100% vouch its AWESOME. Cinemar costs hundreds of dollars and it is made to do a host of other things besides run a small movie poster display. So for a movieposter standalone app my opinion is this one is great.

I took my existing lighted movie poster box and and bought a used 46"LCD tv on eBay for $160 (cracked frame) and installed it in the box. It was a wonderful and fun project me and my 7 year old daughter did together. I also got tired of looking at the same old posters and having to scrounge around for newer ones. Another awesome feature of the movieposter app is that you can point it to a directory where you store pictures thereby turning it into a huge picture frame display for your personal pics.

Try the links below I cant tell if they work, as they block my youtube access at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYUXKPG8QR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYUXKPG8QR4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #16 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Good info, thanks. I think that is definitely something I'm going to work into the project list.

-

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page