Palliser Playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the process of moving and am fortunate enough to be able to move into a larger dedicated theater space. In my existing theater I have four Berkline Tangiers that have been just OK. Two items that I don't like are that the footrests are incredibly uncomfortable (hurt the heels...no chaise) and the seat foam has become highly compressed...with no way to fix it!

Moving into the new theater, we have three priorities:
- More comfortable
- Add a fifth seat (we have 3 kids)
- My wife really wanted something more couch-like to lounge on...she originally talked sectional. Two problems with a pure sectional are that this is a dedicated theater, side seating seems like a waste; also, I like my cupholders and seat-like feel!

So I think I've arrived at a compromise. I'm looking at 5 Palliser Playbacks in a IOVOOOVOI configuration. I want to do them all with power recline, but also add an ottoman for when the boss wants more of that sectional/couch feel for the middle seating. I looked at the Regent (for that more couch-like feel) but don't want to spare the extra width and I'm digging the tray table option. My three questions:

- I've been unable to find pictures or testimonials of the Playback with the OOO in the middle. This is a qualitative question, but will it provide a "couch-like" feel when coupled with an ottoman? Anyone have this configuration that can testify for its functionality/comfort?
- My local leather store quoted it with chairs on the ends and 3 armless recliners in the middle. While this would seem to work, wouldn't it be better to go with IO, then VO, then O, then OV, then OI? In my mind, then four of the five seats have armrest controls for recline.
- Regardless of it's one or three, what does the armless recliner power control look like since it's not on an arm? Palliser's site mentions "hand wand for power operation of armless skus" but what does that look like? Is it tethered to the seat? I'm trying to imagine in my head where I would put a "wand" given that the middle of my setup would be OOO. On my Berklines the switch is down on the frame and I just have to slide my hand down to activate it.

Thank you for any feedback!

CB

PSN: MiddKid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
IQ22,
Here are some answers to your questions:
Quote:
- I've been unable to find pictures or testimonials of the Playback with the OOO in the middle. This is a qualitative question, but will it provide a "couch-like" feel when coupled with an ottoman? Anyone have this configuration that can testify for its functionality/comfort?
The Playback is a very comfortable chair. It will have a couch-like feel in the OOO section with or without an ottoman. Hopefully someone that has this setup will reply back but three seats in the center is not very common. Two seats like this |OVOOVO| are much more common for sure.
Quote:
- My local leather store quoted it with chairs on the ends and 3 armless recliners in the middle. While this would seem to work, wouldn't it be better to go with IO, then VO, then O, then OV, then OI? In my mind, then four of the five seats have armrest controls for recline.
Yes, it would be better to have arms on more of the chairs for the power controls.
Quote:
- Regardless of it's one or three, what does the armless recliner power control look like since it's not on an arm? Palliser's site mentions "hand wand for power operation of armless skus" but what does that look like? Is it tethered to the seat? I'm trying to imagine in my head where I would put a "wand" given that the middle of my setup would be OOO. On my Berklines the switch is down on the frame and I just have to slide my hand down to activate it.
Yes, it is a small wand about 3" x 2" with a coiled cord that is wired to the actuator.

If you are looking at the Playback take a look at the newer model the Palliser Elite also. It has a contoured seating area that makes it a little more comfortable and a higher horizontal stitch in the back. It is slightly more narrow but has all of the other options like tray tables and storage. They only disadvantage you may have is that if you plan to lay across the three seat section the flatter seat of the Playback will work better than the contoured seating of the Elite. But if you have all recliners I don't see this happening very often.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page