4 gang 18 keystone and 1 decora wall plate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a wall plate kinda like this one but instead i need it to have 18 keystones and 1 decora. Does anybody know where i can get one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Can you use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Decora-Plate-Insert-Keystone-White/dp/B00749SCEQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375368001&sr=1-2&keywords=decora+keystone

post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yea i kinda forgot about those it would be easier anyway. Have you used any of these and whats your review if so?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I was also going to ask you too i looked at your "my stuff" page what kind of setup do you have? Do you have a closet or something that you keep your equipment in or is it all near your tv? If its the first i have some questions about how your harmony remote works.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Many years ago I used a similar plate and I can't say I remember much about installation... I assume that means I didn't hate it... I usually remember those. wink.gif

For today, I just googled for "decora keystone" to find the above link/picture to share with you. In general, my experience is that not all keystone jacks/plates are created equal. It's usually best to stick to the same brand/manufacturer for an installation. Sometimes you can get others to fit, but it's not always as clean. Also in most of the situations where I've used these it's been for network/phone jacks and I've been more concerned with having good quality punch down terminals in the back and that drove my buying choices. If it were all network jacks and had as many ports as what you specify above I would have used use a patch panel.

If I am doing A/V, which I assume it what you are doing, I usually use one of the below pass through wall plates from Monoprice. They are smaller overall, easy to work with and you can get a surprising amount of cabling in there for just a two gang wall plate. Personally, I try to limit the number of break/connection points in my a/v cables and whereas jacks/wallplates like above look nice when they are empty/new it does add two more points of connection (front and back of the jack) where things can go wrong. When they are fully connected they are usually behind a bunch of gear or furniture and I don't care so much about the looks anyway. The below plates let me just pull my speaker wire through and then I terminate the bare wire to the amp/speaker. HDMI cables just pull through and I don't have to worry about strain on the back side of the wall jack, etc. Your requirements and preferences may be different of course.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042510&p_id=4001&seq=1&format=2

post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chan-man View Post

I was also going to ask you too i looked at your "my stuff" page what kind of setup do you have? Do you have a closet or something that you keep your equipment in or is it all near your tv? If its the first i have some questions about how your harmony remote works.

Right now all of my gear is on a shelf system in the back of the room. I'm able to point the harmony at the screen and bounce the signal behind me and it works fine. I've also used IR repeater setups to relay the Harmony remote signals to gear in a cabinet behind closed doors and that works fine too.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well that's pretty much how i'm going my stuff except i'm wiring 4 rooms and all the wiring for each room is going to a closet where all the equipment will go. My only concern right now is will the harmony remote i'm going to get will work or not.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

If the Harmony will control your gear then you can certainly find an IR relay setup that will work... being in a closet shouldn't be a problem in that regard. Do your homework... There used to be a few different IR frequencies used by remotes and you had to make sure your relay setup could handle both. I'm not sure if that's the case anymore... perhaps someone else with more recent knowledge can jump in and clarify.

I used a Hot Link Pro in the past and liked it fine.
http://www.hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=2

They also have a long distance version where you can use cat5/6 to extend the relay length from the eye to the emitters. That may be useful for you depending on how your closet sits in relation to the rooms it is feeding.
http://www.hot-link.com/pages/extra_long_distance_system.cgi

There are all other kinds of IR relay systems as well... this is just one brand to get you started.

Make sure you have good ventilation in your closet... closet/cabinet setups look nice but they have tradeoffs in terms of other things like heat/power, etc if not done properly.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much that's exactly what ive been looking for.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page