6oz popcorn Machine w/ Cart $89?!? RUN!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nostalgia-Electrics-Vintage-Collection-59-in-Popcorn-and-Concession-Cart-CCP-610/203079923?cm_mmc=CJ-_-4485850-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=4485850&SID=HevjxAtKEeOcKx5kXHyt6Q0_8qWg3_0_0_0&cj=true

You are welcome.

Ship to store to avoid S&H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for posting this! They seem to be sold out online, at least for now, but how can you beat $90?

Heck, even if the heating element burns out, it would be worth it just as a decoration and/or holding container for popcorn prepared from another source.

Scott

post #3 of 20 Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very tempting! Has anyone purchased this unit?
post #4 of 20 Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My sister got me the baby brother of that unit for Christmas. Maybe a 2oz version? Can't remember.

Only used it a handful of times, but it seems to be a pretty solid unit. The door and bottom tray is a little flimsy, but the heating element is heavy and robust. smile.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Thanks for posting this! They seem to be sold out online, at least for now, but how can you beat $90?

Heck, even if the heating element burns out, it would be worth it just as a decoration and/or holding container for popcorn prepared from another source.

Scott

Shoot. When I posted it they had store pickup free.

Where is WI are you (Madison here)
post #6 of 20 Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Scott

Shoot. When I posted it they had store pickup free.

Where is WI are you (Madison here)
I'm north of Milwaukee. I called them on Thursday night, and they opened a ticket to see if they will be getting any more in stock. The Home Depot rep was very friendly, but said that there was no information at all in their system about them. I should hear back from them in the next couple of days.

Were you able to order one? If so, congratulations!

post #7 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I received the email reply from Home Depot. The good news is that they're back in stock!

The bad news is that the price had gone up to $229.

A big congratulations to anyone who was able to snap one up at the special sale price.

post #8 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36

I had a Nostalgia Electric machine, thank goodness it was a freebie because it only lasted a year.

Paragon unit is on my Christmas list now

http://www.paragonpopcornmachines.com/contents/en-us/d2.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #9 of 20 Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I had a Nostalgia Electric machine, thank goodness it was a freebie because it only lasted a year.

Paragon unit is on my Christmas list now

http://www.paragonpopcornmachines.com/contents/en-us/d2.html

I have that one in the 4oz model. It is great. You can get it cheaper than that on ebay and get the stand for it very cheap there as well.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Personal, I'm not a fan of Nostalgia Electric. I had the smaller 4oz model and it didn't even last a year. The problem I had was purely mechanical, to the point that it seemed like a pretty big design flaw.
If I remember correctly, the agitator that spun within the kettle was not directly connected to the motor. It engaged with a gear when the kettle was in the popping position. The problem was that the only thing that held the gears together was the weight of the kettle. So when the kettle would begin filling with popcorn and the agitator would get the tiniest bit of resistance, the kettle would kick out a bit and the gear would skip.
This happened occasionally at first, and then began happening so often that it would just stop spinning and the popcorn would burn into a congealed mess on a regular basis. I began creating home-made wedges to hold the kettle in place, but that was just a band-aid and never solved the problem completely

For $90, I'd have almost said, "go for it", but even at $90, (unless theyve changed the mechanics) I find the quality really poor.

For $200+, I'd suggest a paragon. I upgraded soon after I grew frustrated with my Nostalgia unit, and I've been very happy with it.

post #11 of 20 Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I had gear issues too but the biggest pita with my Nostaglia Electric popper (2.5 oz unit) was having to unscrew the handle to remove the kettle for cleaning

sometimes it would stick (reverse threaded) and eventually snapped clean off (bracket welded to the kettle...toast!)

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #12 of 20 Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I pitched a fit and got one from Home Depot. Took a few phone calls to customer service, though. Oddly enough, the webpage the CR reps see on their end evidently still shows the sale price.

Should arrive at my local store for pick up next week.

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #13 of 20 Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Made my first batch Thursday night for the NFL game. Loved it!

I thought the specs on the website mentioned a 6 oz. kettle. But box arrived with big blurb on it touting an 8 oz. kettle. Well worth the $97 including tax I paid for it (free ship to store for pick up).

This will replace a 4 oz. I picked up at Costco three or four years ago clearanced down to like $110 or so. Box said it was made by Elite, but didn't really feel any more solid than the one I just got from Home Depot.

Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."
post #14 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If memory serves me correctly, there should be an old thread that tells how to fix the gear issue.

post #15 of 20 Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

On the third batch I've made with this unit (today for football) I decided to use coconut oil. Followed unit's written directions: let kettle heat 3-5 minutes, then turn off, add oil and kernels, then turn kettle on again. After a minute, kettle started smoking. My media room was once an attached 1-car garage. Fuse box is in room, as is a smoke alarm on ceiling near fuse box. Smoke triggered alarm, alerted alarm company, which I had to quickly call to tell them not to send the fire department. First two batches with canola oil did not smoke.
Do I:
1) use less coconut oil,and use more canola instead. Foe example, 1 TSP coconut + 2 TSP canola
2) adjust thermostat in kettle to work better with coconut oil? Don't know if kettle is too hot or not hot enough, though...
3)something I know nothing of...

I am a novice in all things popcorn-related, so I appreciate help.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coconut oil will melt in your hand. Try putting in the coccnut oil first, turn on the heating element and as soon as the smoke starts to rise, add the corn and turn on the stirrer. I find that when doing a second batch immediately after a first batch, the oil melts and starts smoking really fast, so you have to watch it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #17 of 20 Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

On this model one switch turns on kettle and stirring at the same time. Second switch is for light and tray warmer.

But i will follow your advice: I will try putting oil in first, then heat kettle, watch for smoke, then add corn. Will report back results. Thanks!

post #18 of 20 Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Surprised that my jar of "solid" coconut oil became nearly all liquid once I'd had the air-tight seal on the lid broken after my first batch with it. Put oil in, then turned on kettle heater/stirring bar. First sign of smoke, I added kernels. Better results than previous time. Less smoke overall, and didn't set off smoke alarm on ceiling. Thanks!

post #19 of 20 Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got one of the Nostalgia machines from the 1st post for $199 at Sam's Club about 6 years ago, we only make a couple batches of popcorn every weekend, but it's holding up just fine.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #20 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Good to know it is holding up. Loving mine so far.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page