Seatcraft Catalina seats - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,

I'm changing the old sofá of my tv room. I found the Seatcraft Catalina seats and look perfect for the floor and decoration of the room. I don't want leather because they are cold on winters and my wife can't stand very long and I like the 'informal' look of the brown/beige microfibre also.

But I can't go to Califorma to 'live test' the seats, so I was looking for someone who already has this model to share experiences. Are they comfortable? durable? the power option works ok? Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

As I got no bad comments about the Seatcraft Catalina (not good ones also), I decided to took the risk and place my order. Two 2 seat rows, power with stainless steel cupholders and 4 tray tables.

I got them already and my family love them. They are very comfortable and beautiful. The day they arrived, my 2 kids spend the afternoon and good part of the night watching movies and they slept in them all night.

They are not stiff. The microfiber is very nice. They are on the compact/lower side of these kind of seats and that was something I was looking for as I'm 5-8 and I'm the tall one of the family. My kids are 9 and 7.

I had doubts about the color, if it would be so light that it would be dirty easily, but no, is more like the web site pictures in which they are alone, not the one with de carpet an decor, what made me happy. 

About the buying/delivery process with 4seating:
I talk with Ricky Vela and he was very friendly and I have no trouble finding him each time I call 4seating, wich gave me confidence.
I placed my order on a saturday Oct 19, on monday the 21, I got my credit card charged. On Oct 25 I received an automated email: Your 4seating.com order has shipped! with a tracking number for bulletfreight.com and  I was happy. I was able to look on the progress of the packages and they arrived on the estimated delivery date.
October 30 I got a call from Bullet Freight to arrange the delivery on Nov 1. We got them that day. 4 big boxes, one for each seat. They came 2 seats with 2 arms attached and 2 with only one to make the row.

Inside of one of the boxes were 3 tray tables, and the one remaining on another one.
The 4 seats were working perfectly, excellent condition. BUT, here comes the details:
One of them came with the buttons cover detached. I put it on until a heard 2 clicks and no problem, working fine.
As I order the tray tables I was told by Ricky that they need a reinforced cupholdeer to work. So they were $15 extra each one plus the $15 of the stainless steel. So $30x6 = $180 on cupholders. This reinforced cupholder is another base cupholder attached to the arm with 6 screws in which the real cupholder slides into it and it can be easily removed to be cleaned. The screws become hidden.
BUT one of the base cupholders came with no screws.
Also, to the tray tables to work they need an Accesory POD included at no cost with the purchase of the table. BUT they didn't arrive.
I called 4seating and got no answer from the Ricky extension on saturday the 2nd and monday the 4th, so I wrote an email to Anna <anna@4seating.com> asking about the missing parts (the screws and the accesory PODs). She promptly redirected the subject to Ashley <ashley@4seating.com> and I was told they would send me a package with the missing parts immediatly. On nov the 7th I received an automated email: Your 4seating.com order has shipped! but this time with FedEx Ground. The package arrived on Nov 11, but I was out of town, so I couldn't check it out until Nov 16, BUT for my surprise, Inside the box it was a black standard cupholder (used as case) with about 100 screws but no Accesoy PODs! I wrote a email to Anna on monday 18th about this and they rapidly answered that the package with my accesory pods was already shipped the past friday the 15th and she gave me a FedEx tracking number and it was true, it was shipped that day. Uhm. It has delivery date of tomorrw, so I'm not able to use the tray tables yet, but I hope so soon.

Another thing, the 2 seats from the same row do not attach with each other, You have to simply put both together side by side. I show them a video form youtube from seatcraft where 2 guys assemble a 4 row seat of a similar model and they seem to attach them, but I was told by Ashley the video was 2 years old and then the manufacturer made them with a connection brackets. Now they don't. But if I want them, they could be purchased at $45 / set. I would need one for each row. So I'm gonna think about them. Depends on how it works have them not attached. As is today, I'm leaning on yes as they tend to move slightly on frecuent use. If I had carpet maybe this would not happen, but I have laminated floor, so is a bit more slippery.

On the bottom line, until now, I'm very happy with the purchase. Now, my wife likes more to be with us watching movies or DTV in the 'new' TV room as the old sofa was somewhat unconfortable after a hour or so.

My kids are crazy about them. They live in there now.

I can't tell about reliability now, it's a bit early but they seem durable (I hope so!).

I will post an update when we can use the tray tables, I ordered the Burlwood ones and they look very nice and well made.

Reinforced Cupholder without screws

Buttons cover detached. Easily fixed.

My tv room now.

Half and fully reclined.

post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Thanks for the update, this was most helpful. I think we'll go ahead and get these once we are ready for them. Seems to be exactly what I am looking for at a decent price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;

post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
why did you opt to get 2 sets of 2, instead of a row of 4? any particular reason?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Today I have house with a room with enough space to accomodate a 4 seat row . But I'm renting. So I don't know if tomorrow I have to move to another place where I can't do that.

So, with this, I have the option to have a L format with 2 2 seats rows if needed or L in a 3+1 format because the seats are not attached.

Plus, I can have another cupholder !  =)

post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just ordered a row of 5... I'm wondering if I should do 2/3 now... They're on back order for 9 weeks anyway
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How do these "sit" and recline as compared to anything else? I was about to order four Pallisers but hell, a row of 4 of these with power is less than $1,800, plus my wife is stuck on fabric and quite honestly Palliser's dark fabric offerings just plain suck, and some of the fabric wrapped Palliser quotes I've been getting have been nearly 4 grand, $940 per seat. Am concerned with the quality but I haven't heard anything bad about them so far.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

So far, the seats had been great. My family loves them and my kids... they are his favorite place of the house.

The fabric has been easy to clean only with baby wipes. From cookies, doritos, salsa, milk and chocolate milk!.

They feel very cozy and comfortable. To me, they promote a more friendly, casual, warm and relaxed ambience. In leather, the feel is maybe more luxurious but more formal or rigid. 

They do not recline 180 flat as some Palliser, only as the picture from my 'review', but enough for me and my kids to fall asleep.

After some months of use, WE CAN'T go back to manual recliners!, haha. That has been a GREAT feature.

For $448 each with the power option.... very hard to beat.

My only complaints:

They do not attach, you just put the seats together, but daily use makes them move a little and you have to put them together again and again. 4seating sells the attach mechanism at $45 each. But I do not have order them yet. For floor cleaning purposes or to reach 'missing' toys, this works on favor, as you only need to move the one required.

The other, the accesory PODs do not fit 100% the stainless steel cupholder, they are like 1 mm bigger, so that makes them get stuck in the cupholder and a little inclined. Fortunately, 4seating sent me antoher set of cupholders, so I have 4 of them with the accesory pod, and when I need to remove them, I remove the cupholder complete with the accesory pod and I put another cupholder 'without' the accesory pod. The tables work ok. I have a pending review from this with pictures that I have not done.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I literally had a sales person yesterday tell me that there is zero difference in the build of these vs. Palliser, not in features or quality, that the only thing you're paying for with Palliser is the ability to customize. I have a hard time believing that, I mean there is a noticeable difference in the switches for the recline alone. What else is there? Just looking, these seem softer, like a La-Z-Boy recliner instead of sitting in the firm seats of a new Corvette, but I have no way of confirming this. I cannot get a good handle on what is different about them. They also seem smaller than usual, both in back height and width.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page