Mono price red sre vs blue jeans cable bjc series 1 vs anything else - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is the redmere cable the best for long runs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I just installed a 30' and 40' and have had 0 issues. The old non redmere 35' monprice flat has issues on a monthly basis requiring R&R of the cable at the TV..
The Redmere is also much more flexible and easy to deal with. bought the model with the ends that are NOT red in color.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I needed a 50' run from my Lumagen Radiance XE to JVC RS4810 projector. I tried BJC's Belden Series-1, had issues like flashing picture or complete failure to sync, depending on resolution. I tried Monoprice's silver-coated cable, better but still had issues. I tried Monoprice's Redmere cable, works perfectly! And it's much thinner and more flexible than the other two.

YMMV as different devices will behave differently.

Want to buy a 50' BJC Belden Series-1? Low price! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've had excellent luck using the pre-RedMere Pro series 22 AWG monoprice cables in lengths up to 75'. They're bulky, don't bend worth a hoot, and often require another short, flexible HDMI pigtail to keep the cable from falling out of, or damaging the jack it is plugged into, but they work.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The BJC Series 1 is one of the best passive HDMI cables you can get at any price. Comparing it to any active cable is like comparing apples to oranges. The Series 1 cable is certified high speed to 25', which means it will handle any data up to the full HDMI 1.4 bandwidth (10.2 Gbps). Beyond 25', the usable bandwidth is a function of length. Most people can do1080p60 at 50' or more with it. If a passive cable will meet your bandwidth needs, you are better off with it as there are no electronics involved to fail. If you need higher bandwidth, you have no choice but to go with an active cable or extender.

IMHO the best thing for long runs is an HDBaseT-based extender. You can go up to 100m and all the electronics are separate from the cable itself, which is an important factor if the cable is going to be buried in a wall and/or ceiling.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

The BJC Series 1 is one of the best passive HDMI cables you can get at any price. Comparing it to any active cable is like comparing apples to oranges. The Series 1 cable is certified high speed to 25', which means it will handle any data up to the full HDMI 1.4 bandwidth (10.2 Gbps). Beyond 25', the usable bandwidth is a function of length. Most people can do1080p60 at 50' or more with it. If a passive cable will meet your bandwidth needs, you are better off with it as there are no electronics involved to fail. If you need higher bandwidth, you have no choice but to go with an active cable or extender.

IMHO the best thing for long runs is an HDBaseT-based extender. You can go up to 100m and all the electronics are separate from the cable itself, which is an important factor if the cable is going to be buried in a wall and/or ceiling.

I don't see why it's apples and oranges. They each have strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, but both cables have the same goal, and serve the same purpose. The passive cable is not the best choice for everyone because it has its own drawbacks (thicker, less flexible, higher cost in this case, and as weaselfest pointed out, could even damage the equipment it's connected to if one were careless).

I agree about the HDBaseT extender. There's also a product announced at Cedia from Kordz that connects to each end of a passive HDMI cable and contains the active electronics to do Redmere-like stuff on any cable.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page