A/V auto switcher - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I know there's a lot of threads about this, but they're all pretty old and stale at now.

I'm looking for advice on a HDMI and digital audio auto switcher. I've 5 HDMI inputs with assorted Coax/optical digital audio connections, but not enough inputs on my receiver (Tag McLaren AV32R DP).

All the devices I would have liked like the Zektor HDMI5 or the Octova HDS4A-UK have all been discontinued. Is there anything that can fill their boots? Also, is it possible to get one that can have only 1 Coaxial digital output; i.e. all digital output goes via coax out regardless if the input is coax, optical or HDMI? I believe it's all the same format (SPDIF)

Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
So you have HDMI inputs on the receiver? Why use any of the other audio connections if your receiver is HDMI capable?

If you have an HDMI capable receiver but more devices than inputs, add an HDMI switch in front of the receiver and switch input devices with the switch.
http://www.monoprice.com/Search?keyword=HDMI+Switch

If I am off base sorry.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry man, should have mentioned the receiver does have HDMI, just 2 coax and 2 optical inputs.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Please explain your issue a little more as right now it is as clear as mud and the below should be all you need if you have to many HDMI inputs for the receiver.

HDMI is video and audio. .what do you need Coax or Optical for as you said your receiver has HDMI? Add an HDMI switch, plug all components into the switch, send the switch output to one input of receiver and you are done. What am I missing that would prevent this from working?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I have 5 HDMI inputs, 4 with optical and 1 with coax audio. My receiver has 2 optical and 2 coax inputs (no HDMI (that was a typo above)) and my projector has 2 HDMI inputs.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You're probably not going to like this advice, but you should really upgrade that processor instead of working around it...

Assuming you bought the TAG unit because you're willing to invest in high quality audio, you're missing out on the best audio from modern sources (Blu-ray specifically) as you're not able to use the DTS-MA and other advanced codec support.

Replace it with a Marantz, Integra or other pre-pro with all that support and HDMI switching, and you'll be much happier with the result(s).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

The Tag McLaren does support DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD. These formats can't be transmitted over optical SPDIF anyway, only coaxial has enough bandwidth, so it only effects one of my sources.

I do want to stick with the receiver I have; it's old but it's still considered an excellent device.

Kevin
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpatts View Post

The Tag McLaren does support DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

I don't believe that's possible. Those formats didn't exist when that unit came out - you're getting the full bitrate "Core" DTS, but not DTS-MA. I see there was some updates to enable DTS 96/24, but that's not the same thing. Also, no consumer device (BD player) is going to output DTS-MA or TrueHD over any output other than HDMI anyway...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, sorry, my error. But the issue I'm trying to get resolved here is not to do with DTS-MA, it's an issue of connectivity and having to unplug and plug things in all the time! I can't afford currently to upgrade the receiver, so is there a switcher that can resolve my woes?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page