Gold Medal Funpop gets Jammed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys,

First post here.  I'm in the process of a Theatre/Games room setup.

Anyway, my first purchase was a Gold Medal Funpop 2404 4oz Popcorn Machine.  Very cool machine but I am having a slight issue.  I only had the machine a week and made about 10 batches of popcorn.  It sounds as if the motor is struggling to stir sometimes as the batch gets about 1/2 way popped and on 2 occasions so far the kettle jammed up with popcorn and the stirrer got stuck and wouldn't rotate.  I had to shut the motor off and poke out the popcorn out of the kettle manually with a spoon.  I'm using Megapop portion packs of 6 oz.  I made 1000% sure already that the 6oz packs are okay to use in the 4 oz machine through various online searches and asked the company directly before buying the machine.

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

Thanks guys,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Liked: 11
I've had the same machine for almost 2 years. It has an oversized kettle so 6 oz should definitely not be a problem.

I use bulk popcorn, oil and salt so I don't have any experience with the portion packs. Aside from a mechanical problem the only thing I can think of is that maybe the oil isn't hot enough when you add the corn.

For my first batch I'll let the kettle heat up for 3-4 minutes before I add any oil. Then I let the oil heat up for another 2 or 3 minutes before I add the corn and salt. This technique has worked well for me.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.  Now that you mention it I'm sure that the oil was NOT hot enough.  The package says to add 3 kernels first and wait for them to pop before adding the rest.  I skipped this process and dumped the kernels in immediately after putting in the oil.

Do you think my process (or lack of) caused my jam up?

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 AM

Liked: 11
I definitely think it is possible. One of the secrets of making good popcorn is to have the oil hot enough to pop right when you add it to the kettle. Adding a few kernels and waiting for them to pop is one way of doing it though once you do a few batches you will get the feel on how long to wait.

Another thing to consider is the actual popcorn that you are using. Sometimes you can get a batch will not pop as well or is chewy. Even the same brand of popcorn can vary depending on where you bought it, how it was stored, how old it is, etc. So you might want to try a different brand or buy from a different supplier to see if you get better results.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I work for Gold Medal Products Co., have for 12 years, so I am very familiar with that machine.

You can use a prepackaged kit measured for a 6 oz. kettle in that machine, as previously stated, because our kettles are over sized.

You could have a bad gear box that is causing the issue you are having.

Feel free to PM on here and I will help you in getting it resolved.

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBalance View Post

Thanks for the reply.  Now that you mention it I'm sure that the oil was NOT hot enough.  The package says to add 3 kernels first and wait for them to pop before adding the rest.  I skipped this process and dumped the kernels in immediately after putting in the oil.

Do you think my process (or lack of) caused my jam up?

That wouldn't have caused the problem you are having.... You can put it all in there at one time and it will do the job just fine.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

It actually only happened those 2 times and I can't re-create it now. The motor does sound as if it's dragging popped corn in the kettle and can see how it could get stuck again. It doesn't seem like a bad gear, just friction on the popcorn slowing down the stirrer. However, the stirrer does get through it.

In talking with GM on the phone they indicated that "it does happens on occasion" where the stirrer gets jammed as popping all 6 oz puts more strain that 4 oz because of the size of the kettle. Even though the kettle is larger than most, it's not 100% large enough to pop 6 oz to full potential.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM

I have the same issue with the same model popper.  How can you diagnose if it is a gear box?

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page