How to run power to seats when I don't have an outlet nearby? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll be ordering power seats soon, but I'm trying to figure out how to run the power cord to the seats. I don't have a outlet nearby, and this is in the basement on a concrete slab.

Is there a way to run wiring under the carpet? Do they make flat power cords?

What are my options here?

Add your favorite bass-heavy movies here; http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Not sure what options you have for running power, but I can think of a hack that should work well.
Buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
Turn it on when you are in the chairs and turn it off when not. Plug in an extension cord to charge it up when it needs to be charge.
This particular model can cold start meaning it does not need to be plugged in to the wall to be fired up and run 120V devices. I believe most chairs use wall wart type power supply and DC voltage so not much draw when being used and as long as you power down the UPS when not in use the wall wart power supply won't drain the UPS battery.

Not the best solution but one that does not require any wiring ..
Old 11-07-2013, 11:09 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Or you can buy the rechargeable batteries for use with each recliner. These will allow for somewhere between 30 to 60 reclines...

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
They do make compliant floor tape for concrete slabs, but I have had issues with it in the past. Shorting out when the floor flooded, arcing through because an office chair rolled over it too often, etc.

I think this sort of thing might work better for you. Put it across the aisle and then hide the power strip under the chairs. BTW, a UPS is a good idea in case power fails while in them. I use the UPS for the chairs and my projector.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=power+cord+floor+concealer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apower+cord+floor+concealer
Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It probably depends on where you live, but I believe that most electrical codes require the concrete to be "trenched" out and a rated/sealed conduit ran to an approved in floor gang box with outlet covers that seal the outlet when not in use. This prevents that issues described above (crimping from rolling items/traffic, and water issue that any basement can experience).

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!