HDMI to TOSLINK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm looking for a way to connect a Panasonic plasma and a Sony blu-ray to an old Panasonic receiver that only accepts TOSLINK. The TV has a TOSLINK out, but when I run the blu-ray to the HDTV directly I only get stereo at the receiver. When I switch to the TV input I can get 5.1 at the receiver. I'm assuming this has something to do with the DRM with the blu-ray. How can I get full surround sound from both the blu-ray and the TV?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysaw99 View Post

I'm looking for a way to connect a Panasonic plasma and a Sony blu-ray to an old Panasonic receiver that only accepts TOSLINK. The TV has a TOSLINK out, but when I run the blu-ray to the HDTV directly I only get stereo at the receiver. When I switch to the TV input I can get 5.1 at the receiver. I'm assuming this has something to do with the DRM with the blu-ray. How can I get full surround sound from both the blu-ray and the TV?

Thanks in advance.

No, it actually is that the TV strips the surround information from the TOSLINK output. when using the aux inputs. It is documented in the Panasonic manual.

You could add something like this, but if i were spending that much, I'd look at updating to a newer receiver instead: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page