Jack Gallery S2Art closing sale - Classic Movie Lithographs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I just happened to check the S2Art / Jack Gallery site tonight and found out that they've closed their Las Vegas galleries (I spent way too much money there over the years), and they're liquidating their inventory. There's a nice collection of classic movie posters - reproduced as fine art lithographs. I've got one from them in that style (a huge Houdini piece) and they all look amazing in person.

https://www.jackgallery.com/page.php?page=catalog&type=collection&collectionID=8&productTypeID=1

(and yeah, that was an expensive "find" tonight, too biggrin.gif)

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
S2 are very well done repro posters. In some cases here though, the cost of the litho approaches the typical auction price of an original.

I like having originals in my theater, knowing they once hung in a real theater. I also like having stuff that isn't the same 6 repro posters everybody else has. Of course, that is just me, and I have no issues with you choosing differently.

This is the sort of thing I hang in my theater:
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

S2 are very well done repro posters. In some cases here though, the cost of the litho approaches the typical auction price of an original.

Is that true for the heavily discounted ones? $250 for a framed piece (quality / size) is pretty cheap. Agreed that the originals are much cooler to have, if they can be found for anywhere near the same price. Although there is something to be said for the repro's that will lack the folds! biggrin.gif
Quote:
I like having originals in my theater, knowing they once hung in a real theater. I also like having stuff that isn't the same 6 repro posters everybody else has. Of course, that is just me, and I have no issues with you choosing differently.

The only vintage-repro litho I've bought was the 2-sheet Houdini (which was not a theater poster, rather a subway ad, so I doubt any of those survive in any presentable condition), but I agree with you in principle, too. At least these are high quality lithos, not a poster.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Is that true for the heavily discounted ones? $250 for a framed piece (quality / size) is pretty cheap. Agreed that the originals are much cooler to have, if they can be found for anywhere near the same price. Although there is something to be said for the repro's that will lack the folds! biggrin.gif
The only vintage-repro litho I've bought was the 2-sheet Houdini (which was not a theater poster, rather a subway ad, so I doubt any of those survive in any presentable condition), but I agree with you in principle, too. At least these are high quality lithos, not a poster.

A good frame can be had from Hollywood Poster Frames or Spotlight Displays for around $55 for a 1 sheet. I use these frames and can vouch for the quality. I kind of like the folds, as I am nostalgic for how they looked on display in the theater. I also know I am not the common user there. Even among collectors, most folks try to get rolled examples.

To be fair, the S2 Recreations actually are respected and the out of print ones appreciate over time. I have seen them go for several hundred dollars at auction. And, to tell the truth, I also own an S2 litho myself
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

A good frame can be had from Hollywood Poster Frames or Spotlight Displays for around $55 for a 1 sheet. I use these frames and can vouch for the quality.

D'oh... I was valuing the framing as 'custom'. But yeah, as these prints are a standard size a good pre-made frame will be a much better deal.
Quote:
I kind of like the folds, as I am nostalgic for how they looked on display in the theater.

NERD! wink.gif
Quote:
I also know I am not the common user there.

Oh, ok, at least you know you're a nerd... biggrin.gif
Quote:
To be fair, the S2 Recreations actually are respected and the out of print ones appreciate over time. I have seen them go for several hundred dollars at auction. And, to tell the truth, I also own an S2 litho myself

Yeah, I assume a good example of that Forbidden Planet original would cost quite a bit more than the litho... I really like that one, too! Between the art and the "Amazing!", it's such a good example of the era... If I had a spot for it, their 3-sheet King Kong would be my next choice. I ordered the Swierzy poker-themed litho "The Strip" for half price. I had almost pulled the trigger on that the last time I was in Vegas. Glad I waited!

Theater build photos:

post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NERD! wink.gif
Oh, ok, at least you know you're a nerd... biggrin.gif
Darned tooting. I design avionics for a living. Don't get much nerdier than that cool.gif
Quote:

Yeah, I assume a good example of that Forbidden Planet original would cost quite a bit more than the litho... I really like that one, too! Between the art and the "Amazing!", it's such a good example of the era... If I had a spot for it, their 3-sheet King Kong would be my next choice. I ordered the Swierzy poker-themed litho "The Strip" for half price. I had almost pulled the trigger on that the last time I was in Vegas. Glad I waited!

I have seen Frobidden Planet half sheets go for well over $10k at heritage Auctions. I've never paid over $500 for anything, and only a couple of times beyond $200.

I have one 3-sheet frame. 41"x81" rails, plexiglass front and foamcore backing, it still weighs in at around 80 pounds. I own a half dozen 3 sheet posters, but I don't change it out very often. Last time took 4 hours. I have been displaying an old western in it for the last 3 years. (it has been properly hung since then)
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page