AVS Forum banner

Octane Turbo XL700 Seating - alias Lane Matinee 103 or Berkline 12003?

32K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  rsh 
#1 ·
Hello AVS guys/gals! I'm a newbie searching for a quality row of 4 seats for my new home theater and really liked the Lane Matinee 103 in a brown curved row of leather/match with power recline. The more I called around for pricing/availability, the more I found that these seats are in short supply. I was told by a seating sales person that since Lane's owner is moving toward Ch 11, another company has taken up the distribution for the Lane Matinee 103 with a couple extra features. The new chair is advertised at theaterseatstore dot com as the Octane Turbo XL700. The only difference I'm seeing is that the new Octane seat has tray tables and storage in the arms; both are a bonus to me. Doing a search on this chair, I'm seeing very few hits and it seems this changeover must have happened very recently. More research shows that this new seat is more likely a replica of the Berkline Reno 12003?

Unless I hear any negative vibes from the good folks here, I'm looking to purchase a set of these soon. Does anyone here know if the above sounds legit? Any red flags I should watch out for? Any other seats you think I should consider under $2500?

Many thanks in advance!

See less See more
#61 ·
Power grommet

I think the seats are good, they much like the ones we sell with some slight differences. The number 1 difference is they use the power grommet which seems like a cool idea on paper but in practicality it does not work that great. I personally tested the power grommet here in our offices and decided not use it in our new line HTdesign. First reason is it's not that good looking with the rubber cap on it. The next reason is the accessories that go into are way too loose and tray table twist around very fast. You have to use an extender on the tray table or adapter to fit the power grommet which does not work very well as it's not tight enough. The extender I tested made tray table too high. They may have shortened it up but it's still too loose. This is the same problem for wine holder that goes into it that does not really work as it's too loose also and you have to use an extender/adapter (too many parts is also a problem). The one thing that does work is usb and the light. We opted to put the usb in the arm storage permanently which I think is a better solution. The power grommet seems like a good idea but does not work well enough yet in my opinion after testing it. It's a good way for them to sell extra accessories versus putting as a standard inclusion on the chair which we did. It's also attractive to consumer to get more accessories, but in reality it does not work well yet. That's my feedback on the power grommet feature only not the chairs themselves as they are good.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com

#62 ·
I think the seats are good, they much like the ones we sell with some slight differences. The number 1 difference is they use the power grommet which seems like a cool idea on paper but in practicality it does not work that great. I personally tested the power grommet here in our offices and decided not use it in our new line HTdesign. First reason is it's not that good looking with the rubber cap on it. The next reason is the accessories that go into are way too loose and tray table twist around very fast. You have to use an extender on the tray table or adapter to fit the power grommet which does not work very well as it's not tight enough. The extender I tested made tray table too high. They may have shortened it up but it's still too loose. This is the same problem for wine holder that goes into it that does not really work as it's too loose also and you have to use an extender/adapter (too many parts is also a problem). The one thing that does work is usb and the light. We opted to put the usb in the arm storage permanently which I think is a better solution. The power grommet seems like a good idea but does not work well enough yet in my opinion after testing it. It's a good way for them to sell extra accessories versus putting as a standard inclusion on the chair which we did. It's also attractive to consumer to get more accessories, but in reality it does not work well yet. That's my feedback on the power grommet feature only not the chairs themselves as they are good.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
I actually need 1 more seat to match my 103's in black. Could you do 1 seat? It would need 1 left armrest. Also I bought my chars and they are black, but they look brown sometimes. If you look in the room they are black, but if you really look at them they appear to be brown. Is this normal? I would be concerned about color matching. That all of course would rely on if I could get one chair. Thanks

#64 ·
Well I am in the market for either a power reclining love seat with storage in the middle and arms or just a straight 2 chair config with arm storage. I like the cup holders with the blue led lights and chair controls on the arm. Any deals going on or anyone with a suggestion? I do have another question about foam density. I see allot of places use a spec of 1.8 density foam but I don't know if that is good or bad or just an industry wide spec that is used all the time. I see that Bobs Discount furniture has exactly what I am looking for but I need to find out who actually makes it for them. Here is the link to the one at Bob's.. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...mIHwAg&usg=AFQjCNFlzRkCQsTKNYFIGL_Z0xIMDvBDQw Any help would be great.

#69 · (Edited)
Hi all! This thread has been a big help to me so far. I see that it is a few months old, but I wanted to post here to get updates from people. I have been trying to decide on some chairs and have the Octane Turbos at the top of my list. The only problem is that I have not been able to see them in person. I have a local furniture shop that sells Palliser, so I have seen a few of those in person.

Although I really liked the Palliser ones I sat in, I really like the Octane Turbos too (from what I've seen online). To me they look perfect... I just wish I could check them out locally to see how they feel. I am nervous to order Octane since they are a pretty new brand. Palliser I feel is more well known and has a good reputation.

Does anyone have any opinions regarding the choices below? I prefer firmness over plushness.

Here are the ones I am debating between:

Octane Turbo XL700
Palliser Pacifico
Palliser Playback

Thanks!

#73 ·
all the online palliser retailers have to increase pricing by June 15, you will have to ask them why as I am not the mfg perhaps they have higher costs, on b&m not sure if it's same date.

On sinious vs pocketed coils, no big difference it's just skinning a cat 2 different ways. Both should last long as long as the seat is built well.

Some palliser models use sinious, some use pocketed coils and all our label htdesign seats use pocketed coils. Pocketed coils are a fairly new way of making seats and sofas.

The paget seats are HTdesign are on our site HTmarket.com, I might add we have been selling and servicing theater seats for 16 years now. We now make our own brand HTdesign, check thread in this forum on it.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com

#74 ·
Well I finally decided on the Octane Turbos. Ordered from theaterseatstore.com earlier today. They said only 2 weeks. That seems pretty fast, but we will see. When I get them, I will probably post pics and thoughts if anyone is interested. I opted for the power recline in bonded leather. I can't wait.

#76 ·
curious if you have an update on how the Turbo's are holding up

Bill, as far as the width of the Octane Bolt go I was a little concerned at first but happy now that I have them.
I only have one unpacked thus far but I'd say it definitely does not feel cramped and the arms feel just fine. I guess I'll know for sure when I have three people seated side by side but it seems like a nice comfortable snug fit to me.
How are you liking the bolts?

#78 ·
I really like how they have a top grain leather option and specifically state the frames are kiln dried hardwood. Hoping that translates to something that will last a very long time.
Pretty much every vendor who sells the home theater recliners in this price range is using top grain leather w/matching vinyl.

Regarding the kiln dried hardwood - knowing the factory where these chairs are made, I suggest calling the vendor and asking which parts exactly are made out of kiln dried wood. I would love to hear what they would have told you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.