Octane Turbo XL700 Seating - alias Lane Matinee 103 or Berkline 12003? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello AVS guys/gals! I'm a newbie searching for a quality row of 4 seats for my new home theater and really liked the Lane Matinee 103 in a brown curved row of leather/match with power recline. The more I called around for pricing/availability, the more I found that these seats are in short supply. I was told by a seating sales person that since Lane's owner is moving toward Ch 11, another company has taken up the distribution for the Lane Matinee 103 with a couple extra features. The new chair is advertised at theaterseatstore dot com as the Octane Turbo XL700. The only difference I'm seeing is that the new Octane seat has tray tables and storage in the arms; both are a bonus to me. Doing a search on this chair, I'm seeing very few hits and it seems this changeover must have happened very recently. More research shows that this new seat is more likely a replica of the Berkline Reno 12003?

Unless I hear any negative vibes from the good folks here, I'm looking to purchase a set of these soon. Does anyone here know if the above sounds legit? Any red flags I should watch out for? Any other seats you think I should consider under $2500?

Many thanks in advance! smile.gif

Yamaha RX-V773WA / EMP E55Ti, E56Ci, E5Bi, Dual ES1010i / Epson Projector 5010 / Elite Screens 120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM
rsh
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Berkline Reno 12003 and Lane 103 (same chair) both had storage compartments and trays - nothing new there.

Roman
rtheaters.com
Fusion Collection Seating
Ultimate Home Entertainment
post #3 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Roman, I stand corrected: both Lane 103 and Berkline 12003 chairs had the trays and storage.

Any thoughts on these Octane Turbo seats? Do you think this is the same chair with similar quality? I'm asking because this is a new brand and all and nothing really posted on the web yet... thanks.

Yamaha RX-V773WA / EMP E55Ti, E56Ci, E5Bi, Dual ES1010i / Epson Projector 5010 / Elite Screens 120
post #4 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

I suspect they are, but I do not like to speculate since I have not tried/seen them in person.

Still believe there are better choices out there...

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #5 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the speculation Roman. I think they are the same too from what I've read. What choices would you suggest that may be better for under $2500? I've scoured the net and have not found anything comparable that has what I need (stated in OP). I wanted to buy from you with all the good reviews you get here, but could not find a match on your site. Not your fault of course, inventory is running low on the Berklines and I didn't want to go higher in price. thanks

post #6 of 75 Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
rsh
AVS Special Member

No problem here. As long as you happy with what you get it is all that counts.

Roman
rtheaters.com
post #7 of 75 Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did you purchase the octane turbo seating? If you did how do you like them?

I am thinking ordering these seats.

Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 75 Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I did purchase them, but they won't be delivered til the end of January or early Feb. I got a curved row of 4 in brown with loveseat middle and powered. I'll post pics when they get here...

post #9 of 75 Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks for the reply.
post #10 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like this seat is delayed and my order delivery was pushed to March. Ugh!!!

post #11 of 75 Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM

That sucks....good luck!
post #12 of 75 Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just ordered these yesterday, as they're having a pretty good sale right now.

I did two rows, configured as seen below:

OVOIOIOVO - Back Row
OIOOIO - Front Row

I just stumbled up rtheaters.com and it looks like they have some decent deals too, but the website makes it hard to tell what they actually have in inventory. I may try calling them today, as I still could cancel my order of the Octane Boost XL700.
post #13 of 75 Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM

I ordered mine on Saturday evening, got then this morning! Now that's quick shipping. We're impressed with them.

4y5y4asu.jpgu4u5ebeh.jpg

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
post #14 of 75 Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear you got your seats so quickly and that you're happy with TSS! Are these the leather match or bonded leather? I have to think that my order for brown chairs was not in stock, but yours obviously were in stock. I've now waited 10 weeks and they say they'll be in March 5. Fortunately they gave me a $ credit and upgraded to white glove delivery. Did your seats come boxed or white glove? Happy with the delivery?

Really like your theater room layout! Nice to have the stepped up platform for the back row singles and loveseat in front. Also like the way you went with a curved back row and straight front row. Very versatile and fits the room!

Are you happy with the leather quality and reclining mechanism? Motorized or manual?

Would love to see pics of the rest of your theater... 7.x sound? Beautiful dedicated room you have here!

post #15 of 75 Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks tlopes. I will post a link to a thread with more pictures.

I went with bonded leather and manual recline. I've got 3 boys ages 3, 5 & 6. I wanted something durable, which is why I chose the bonded leather. I also chose manual recline with them in mind. If I had power recline they'd be playing with it constantly.

I didn't get the white glove delivery. The guy just dropped them in garage, which was fine with me. They were packaged individually and packaged well. One of the boxes was thrashed and nearly falling apart which made me nervous enough that I noted it on the shipping form and took pictures, but the chair was fine. Each box had reinforced corners, and the chairs were wrapped in cloth and then wrapped in plastic that was taped on securely.

They did do one thing which I consider a bonehead move, but it isn't a huge deal. Let me see if I can explain. The front row of 4 chairs is built like below. The I represent an armrest, the O a seat, and the space shows which armrests are attached to which seat. Obviously all together they're like this: IOIOOIOI. However when you look at them individually they're like this: IOI O OI OI. One of the chairs has no arms and one has two. As a result the chair with two arms has one really shallow armrest storage (they make the side that doesn't hold the tray table shallow) and we're short one tray table. They're sending us an additional tray table, but with the way the one storage is so shallow we don't have anywhere to put it unless we double one up. Had they done it this way: IO IO OI OI then I would have enough tray tables and storage for them.

Overall I'm very happy. When my kids are older (in about 15 years) I'll spring for real leather and power recline. It just didn't make sense right now for the reasons mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
prince.nothing likes this.
post #16 of 75 Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Makes sense with your family to go bonded and manual; plus less expensive that way. I'm the opposite (where you'll be in 15 years) and decided to go with the upgrades. I completely agree with you about the bonehead design decisions on the love seat config and looking at my paperwork, they ordered the same config for me. Looks to me like they saved $ by not having to make the IO configuration. So they either sell a full chair, lefties, or armless chairs. And if they did it this way, the least they could do is make the storage the same on all chairs. Since mine are power, I'm really curious where they'll put the power button for the armless chair. They told me all power buttons would be near the cup holders, so I don't see how they'll pull that off without running a wire between chairs. I'm betting they'll have a handle in the middle of the love seat for that chair. We shall see...

Thanks for your detailed response and looking forward to your HT pics!

post #17 of 75 Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Here's a link to my poorly maintained build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441332/dans-diy-home-theater

I'll have some real nice pics done...a cousin of mine just started an A/V business and wants to have a professional photographer shoot my home (fully automated with Control4) and my theater room for some marketing material. I'll post copies of the pics here when I get them.
post #18 of 75 Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlopes View Post

Makes sense with your family to go bonded and manual; plus less expensive that way. I'm the opposite (where you'll be in 15 years) and decided to go with the upgrades. I completely agree with you about the bonehead design decisions on the love seat config and looking at my paperwork, they ordered the same config for me. Looks to me like they saved $ by not having to make the IO configuration. So they either sell a full chair, lefties, or armless chairs. And if they did it this way, the least they could do is make the storage the same on all chairs. Since mine are power, I'm really curious where they'll put the power button for the armless chair. They told me all power buttons would be near the cup holders, so I don't see how they'll pull that off without running a wire between chairs. I'm betting they'll have a handle in the middle of the love seat for that chair. We shall see...

Thanks for your detailed response and looking forward to your HT pics!

I'll be interested to hear how the power for the armless chair is too. I'm guessing it will be a remote on a cord, that will just kind of hang in between the armrest and the chair.

They sent me an additional tray table to make up for the missing one (I'd bet you $100 you have the same problem). The first tray table they sent was wrong, so they're sending another one. The problem is, there is nowhere to store it. The double armed chair has one side real shallow to hold remotes and what not, and the deep storage side is only wide enough to fit ONE tray table. As a result they issued a 10% refund and I'll just deal with it I guess.

The seats are awesome and we really love them, but that has been a little frustrating. They are also going to see about getting a seat made with the right armrest, but said that for one reason or another they typically do not.
post #19 of 75 Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

My seats just shipped, so I'll find out soon if it's the same. Stand by for pics.

Just took a look at your theater thread Dan, wow! Very nice! What a project that was! Looking forward to seeing the professional photos. Interestingly, I also just watched Captain Phillips a few days ago! Great movie to show off the theater!

post #20 of 75 Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlopes View Post

My seats just shipped, so I'll find out soon if it's the same. Stand by for pics.

Just took a look at your theater thread Dan, wow! Very nice! What a project that was! Looking forward to seeing the professional photos. Interestingly, I also just watched Captain Phillips a few days ago! Great movie to show off the theater!

I'll be interested to hear if yours is the same... I'd bet it is.

The good news is that their customer service is great.

post #21 of 75 Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

My seats arrived yesterday from Theater Seat Store. Here are my first impressions on them:

- Shipping cartons had a few dings/blemishes, but there was no shipping damage noticed while unpacking and installing.
- Installed seat backs with no problem. No need for white glove delivery on these unless you don't have 2 able bodied people to carry them into your home. Each seat (without back) is about 75 to 100 pounds and easily fits through most doorways.
- Color is a nice medium dark brown; very happy with the color.
- 4 seats received in a curved row with 2 middle seats as loveseat config. This means you only get 3 table trays, but they are sending me a 4th to make it right. This is not clear on their website which states a table tray for each seat.
- Power recline mechanism is awesome!! Extremely quiet and smooth operation. Right two chairs have button on the right side; left two have the button on the left side (see pic below). The armless chair has the button on the inside seat cushion rather than on the arm like the others. Chair config is like this from left to right: Full chair (2 arms), armless chair, left angled arm chair, left straight arm chair.
- Leather is smooth with very little grain. I was a little disappointed by this since their description says "top grain leather, thick, premium" and I paid extra for the premium vs bonded type. I'm not sure I can tell this premium leather from a good vinyl or bonded leather; I had hoped it would be more luxurious and quality looking, but maybe I expected too much.
- Seats are all fairly comfortable, but one of them seems a bit firmer than the other 3; almost like they used a different filler/cushion in one chair. Hoping over time it will break in and feel more like the other chairs. Minor issue here...
- One of the angled arms tilts slightly while the other angled arm is level and straight. This also seems minor, but it does take away slightly from the looks and perceived workmanship.
- One of the seats had a small cut. Not sure what can be done about this...

All in all, I'd give these chairs 3 out of 5 stars considering the above and that I waited 11 weeks for them to arrive. I opened a case with TSS on some of the above, so we'll see what they can do to make it right.

Here are some pics:

post #22 of 75 Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can definitely see the tilting armrest. If they're smart they'll take care of that, no ifs ands or buts. Not sure how something like that can pass QC.
Is there a noticeable gap between the back cushion and the seat when reclined?
post #23 of 75 Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcam View Post

Can definitely see the tilting armrest. If they're smart they'll take care of that, no ifs ands or buts. Not sure how something like that can pass QC.
Is there a noticeable gap between the back cushion and the seat when reclined?

Actually, there is no gap at all when reclined; head to toe support. I added a pic of the reclined seat and another to show the up/down button.

post #24 of 75 Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They look really nice, aside from the problems already mentioned. Hopefully they can be rectified and you can fully enjoy them smile.gif
post #25 of 75 Old 02-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Those couple of little issues are a real bummer. Where is the little cut at? Hopefully it's on the back or something where it went ever be seen.

I can definitely see the tilting armrest too.

For some reason it really bothers me that they don't make a seat with a RIGHT armrest and no left. That's so stupid. Especially when there is such a long wait to have then custom made.

We're still living ours. Very comfortable, and so far are holding up well to abuse from the kids.

post #26 of 75 Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post

Those couple of little issues are a real bummer. Where is the little cut at? Hopefully it's on the back or something where it went ever be seen.

I can definitely see the tilting armrest too.

For some reason it really bothers me that they don't make a seat with a RIGHT armrest and no left. That's so stupid. Especially when there is such a long wait to have then custom made.

We're still living ours. Very comfortable, and so far are holding up well to abuse from the kids.

Here is a couple pics of the cut:

It is located on one of the seats on the cushion where you sit. It's not that noticeable until you stretch it, but I'm just hoping it doesn't get bigger over time.

One other thing I noticed yesterday is that the leather on the seating surface and the backrest appear to be two different leathers. I first noticed this looking at my own pictures where I saw a slightly different hue between the two surfaces. Looking closely at the seats, it appears that the leather is indeed different. The backrest seems like the quality top grain leather I was expecting, but the other surfaces seem more like pleather. This set is supposed to have top grain on all touch surfaces and vinyl match on the sides and back of chairs. Now it seems there are 3 different materials on these chairs. Bringing this up with TSS as well...

@dhendriksen - thanks for your thoughts and comparison to your seats. I sent you a PM yesterday. Maybe you don't get notified, so letting you know here. thanx

@Warcam - thanks for the comments and yes I hope to fully enjoy my seats soon! smile.gif Watched our first movie in them last night, very comfortable and supportive over the range of recline positions! Support is on the firmer side which I like. Too soft and you end up falling asleep!

post #27 of 75 Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am on the fence about ordering this same set (black real grain leather four piece electric) and wanted to get some last minute recommendations and thoughts before pulling the trigger.  How are your sets holding up?

post #28 of 75 Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 AM

I'm loving mine. The kids jump all over them (despite my best efforts) and they're holding up great. Everyone comments on how comfortable they are, and I agree.

post #29 of 75 Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks! I plan to get a set of four chairs but torn between...

-4 seats straight

-4 seats curved

-4 seats straight w/center middle love seat 

-4 seats curved w/center middle love seat

Space is not a concern but functionality, TV view and comfort is. I have a 60 inch flat screen with a stand and mount the chairs will be for. I like the idea of the love seat so to "get close" if needed but and willing to quickly sacrifice that if it jeopardizes usability, storage and comfort. 

Dhendriksen, I see you have a both sets minus the curve.  Thoughts?

post #30 of 75 Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM

I have two rows configured like this:

IOVOIOIOVOI
IOIOOIOI

Screen here (Front)

I love having the love seat, as does the wife. I would recommend a love seat. There's plenty of room for two people to sit and not feel like they need to get close, but if you want to you can. So, I would recommend this: IOVOOVOI.

MKMor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page