Palliser tray table socket retrofit question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Palliser home theater seat, and would like to add the small tray table socket that is shown forward of the cupholder in the armrest. I can feel through the upholstery that the hole for it is already drilled in the wood frame. Has anyone done this? Does Palliser sell the socket and whatever retainer holds it in? It appears that by removing the black felt on the bottom of the chair, one can reach up and access the underside of the armrest frame. The upholstery is leather. I don't live near a furniture repair place or dealer so this would likely be DIY unless it is too risky/complex. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, this can be done. Please contact me offline for more info.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

post #3 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10

Did you ever figure this out? I just received an order of 4 Pacifico II seats from TheaterSeatStore.com and only 2 of the 4 seats had the sockets, even though I ordered 4 trays. I'd also like to add additional sockets to the other two seats. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
You should feel an existing socket hole through the arm padding. Mine were pre-drilled. The Palliser socket is a hefty steel cylinder (with spring-loaded cover), and a polished estucheon piece that screws on (tighten it to hand-tight now). It comes with some various bolts and studs for different chairs I guess. Tip the chair over, unstaple the black felt on the chair bottom under the arms, and look up into the arm. You should see an interior wood brace with a hole, and then another wood piece with a bigger hole not visible in the pic (the arm itself). I could feel the armrest padding through it

. Once you have the sockets in-hand and confirm they match your other ones, take a deep breath and poke a hole through the center of the armrest hole through the padding and the upholstery. Right the chair; you should have a tiny hole centered in the soft area you felt earlier. Take an Exacto knife or razorblade, hold it vertical, and cut from the hole out to where the knife hits wood. I made eight cuts; you can use scissors once you know the size. You should now have an asterisk-shaped hole matching the hole in the wood. Press the socket through, letting the upholstery and padding fold down alongside. If the socket is too tight, take out some of the cut padding. The estucheon will easily cover any minor goofs. Turn the chair over again, and thread the bolt with washer into the bottom of the socket that should now be lined up with the hole in the inner brace. Yours may attach slightly differently. Tighten using a ratchet and long extension, with your hand on the center of the ratchet (not mega-tight). The socket will compress the upholstery and then feel tight. Restaple the bottom felt and you're done! Took about one hour for all four sockets.The estucheon unscrews so you can clean underneath, just don't yank the upholstery up past the stub of the socket.
KenLerch likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Where did you actually obtain the additional socket hardware?

-Justin

post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great instructions, 2hotinaz.

I also sent you a PM, justinlutsky.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor