New Aura Bass Shakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So Santa bought me(ie. bought myself) some Aura Bass Shakers. You should have seen the look on my daughters and my wife's face when I yelled "Santa brought me some bass shakers". They all looked stunned. Then, I told my wife that they are silent subwoofers that you don't hear, but feel in the chair. She said, "silent subwoofers, I like that".

I got them installed in my Berkline Reno Home Theater chairs and ran them from a 70 watt Dayton subwoofer amp.

First demo was War Of The World's and the effect was awesome. Playing shooter games is really fun. My sister-in-law watched Kon Tiki and the bass effect made the movie more intense and shark scene scared her to death.

Last night, my daughter invited over six friends. They wanted to watch World War Z. I sneaked to the back of the room just before the second grenade scene. The bass sweep hit and I could see the bass shakers rattle their teeth. They all said Woooooo and then they gave each other high fives. It was a proud moment in a home theater geek's life.

I debated between the Aura Bass Shakers and the Butt Kickers, but I'm glad I got the Aura's because they are smaller and they provide just the right amount of effect. For $49 a piece, they are well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Sojodave,

Thanks for the review. I think this finally swayed me to pick up a pair myself! Are you driving 2 of them with the Dayton Amp?

I think I still have some reading to do, but wiring to my existing yamaha amp should not be a problem I imagine. I have a RCA splitter to split the sub output, send 1 cable to my onkyo woofer and the other to the Dayton Amp that drives the Auras????

I'm just trying to figure out the wiring before I pull the trigger, and will have to pick up a copy of war of the worlds on blue ray wink.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Hey Sojodave,
I have 4 of Roman's Jive home theater seats. Originally I had a couch with 2 Aura's mounted underneath. When I bought the JIVE seats my goal was to add two more Aura's to the plate mounted on the bottom (intended for buttkicker mini's). They did not fit. I ended up mounting them on a wood slat that runs at the base of the back of the chair. They were great. Well hidden, secure and easy to access and a solid '4D' experience. These ran to 250 watt amp I bought from parts-express.

But,
My curiosity (and a little cash in the pocket) got me wondering; what would happen if I ADDED the buttkicker mini's ALONG with the Aura's? Well, that's what I did. Since there were specific mounting holes for the mini's, I bought TWO and the Buttkicker 300 W AMP.

What a great fusion of low medium and low!. Couldn't be happier. So, now the Auras fire and the Mini's fire together (wireless receiver from parts-express) but the mini's ADD a level that wasn't there. ANd I believe the Aura's add a level that wouldn't be there if it was just mini's.

The one thing I need to do for the mini's, is tweak them back a bit using the remote control. They can bottom out if you max them out. DON'T. I have now watched OBLIVION twice and Iron Man 3 and there was no bottoming out but were basically firing at full, efficient wattage.

Highly recommend this config. I will add two more mini's down the road (they are under mine and my buddy's chair. They do propagate a bit to the adjoining chairs but only a little).

Anyways, cheers. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

EPSON 5020UB projector (awesome!)
Energy Front /Sides and Surrounds (+ two dipole cambridge soundworks matched with rear surrounds using impedance matching speaker selector)
Orb Audio Heights
Pioneer VSX 1020 receiver
Energy 8 + Cambridge soundworks 12" Subwoofer (Both Front facing and in front on each side )
100" 1.0 fixed frame screen
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM

I have used the Clark silver and platinum transducer. They are crazy cool. I tell everyone if you have surround sound and you like to watch movies get a transducer and put it in you couch. They add an effect that is totally something most people have never experienced in a movie. Not the platinum transducer is a little much. I got one a year back in anticipation of building my theatre. I put it in a couch in my living room. I swear my vision was blurring while watching movies. The silver works great though in a living room that's what I had prior.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

So Santa bought me(ie. bought myself) some Aura Bass Shakers. You should have seen the look on my daughters and my wife's face when I yelled "Santa brought me some bass shakers". They all looked stunned. Then, I told my wife that they are silent subwoofers that you don't hear, but feel in the chair. She said, "silent subwoofers, I like that".

I got them installed in my Berkline Reno Home Theater chairs and ran them from a 70 watt Dayton subwoofer amp.

First demo was War Of The World's and the effect was awesome. Playing shooter games is really fun. My sister-in-law watched Kon Tiki and the bass effect made the movie more intense and shark scene scared her to death.

Last night, my daughter invited over six friends. They wanted to watch World War Z. I sneaked to the back of the room just before the second grenade scene. The bass sweep hit and I could see the bass shakers rattle their teeth. They all said Woooooo and then they gave each other high fives. It was a proud moment in a home theater geek's life.

I debated between the Aura Bass Shakers and the Butt Kickers, but I'm glad I got the Aura's because they are smaller and they provide just the right amount of effect. For $49 a piece, they are well worth it.

sojodave,

Any chance you could provide an idea of how you wired these with the 70 watt dayton subwoofer?

Thanks in advance
post #6 of 9 Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:
Any chance you could provide an idea of how you wired these with the 70 watt dayton subwoofer?

I have two subwoofers. I used a y splitter to send the sub signal to my sub amp. I connected the two wires on the back of the sub amp to a speaker wire wall plate. I used banana jacks for on the speaker wire and ran them to my riser and ran the speaker wire under the carpet to my bass shakers. I ran the positive to the left bass shaker and the negative to the right bass shaker. I then ran some speaker wire to the negative on the left and positive on the right. I screwed my bass shakers to the back of my Berkline chairs and covered them up with the dust flap.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 AM

So you wired them in a series right? I'm trying to figure out how to wire 4 of them and how much power I need.
I asked the question in the forums here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515891/amplifier-question-regarding-powering-my-4x-aura-ast-2b-4-bass-shakers

basically if I have 4 of them, do I wire them in series/parallel and use a 100w dayton amp ?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
yes. 2 - 4 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohm, 2 - 2 ohm speaker loads in series = 4 ohm.......or 2-4 ohm speakers in series = 8 ohms, 2 - 8 ohm speaker loads in parallel = 4 ohms* Run that little 100W plate amp for all it's worth.
* assuming flat impedence across all frequencies in use, but what the hey, that's where the phrase "Looks good on paper" comes into play.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #9 of 9 Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Thanks weaselfest
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page