Replacement for ruined Berkline seating? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Roo5676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently had a pipe burst and ruin my beloved Berkline 45023 seats that I've had for 5 years. I found a pic of this model here and also shown in this post.

These were amazingly comfortable for me (and held up remarkably well after several thousand hours of use). They had a higher back and a lot more cushioning than many chairs seem to. So many of the ones in the local stores that I've tried (both other Berklines when I originally shopped and various brands now) are much too stiff with no head support. Maybe it's because I'm 6'0" and only 145 lbs, so I don't sink in very much...

So does anyone have any advice on a suitable replacement for these? Obviously since I last shopped Berkline is gone. It seems like Palliser has become a popular choice for comparable chairs in the same price range since then. Unfortunately I don't think there's anywhere for me to try them locally (Milwaukee area).

Just judging by pictures, the Palliser Linus, Channel, and Current look like possibilities but I can't find any info on how tall the backs actually are.

Any other brands? I saw the various Fusions, but unfortunately I have to go with microfiber because we have cats with back claws and I'm too worried about punctures in leather from them jumping on/off them. I also noticed Barcalounger took over some of Berkline's designs, but no one here seems to talk about them and they mostly look like the low-back kind that I never liked.
Roo5676 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
KenLerch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You have definitely honed in on the softer and more plush of the Palliser models. Here are the back heights of the chairs you have listed:

Palliser Linus: 43"
Palliser Channel: 44"
Palliser Current: 42"

Also, take a look at the Tijuana and the Rhumba for their Berkline-like plushness and comfort. The back heights for those are:

Palliser Tijuana: 43"
Palliser Rhumba: 42"

All of these are available in a large number of fabrics as you have probably already seen.

Another line to consider is the RowOne custom line. They have styles similar to the Berkline models and they sit very very well.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

 

KenLerch is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Roo5676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks Ken, that's helpful. My Berklines were listed as 42" backs, but were quite poofy on top and there may be differences in measuring vs the Pallisers as well.

Searching around, it seems a lot of people really like the comfort of the Rhumba, and by extension the Tijuana I guess. I'll admit they're not the best looking, but comfort is #1 for me. Besides, how often are you going to stare at them from the front in a fully-lit room like in the pictures?

Do the Rhumba and the Tijuana basically feel the same except for the thicker headrest on the Tijuana?

There's a few good mentions about the Current, too, but I can't really find anything on the Linus or Channel (aside from this thread, actually). Anything else you can tell me about the differences between all these in terms of comfort? Are any of them divisive in a love-it or hate-it type way? That was one nice thing about my old Berklines...they seemed to be comfortable for people of varying height.
Roo5676 is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
KenLerch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks Ken, that's helpful. My Berklines were listed as 42" backs, but were quite poofy on top and there may be differences in measuring vs the Pallisers as well.
All back heights are measured from the floor to the top of the back rest no matter what company. So they measurements should be standard.
Quote:
Searching around, it seems a lot of people really like the comfort of the Rhumba, and by extension the Tijuana I guess. I'll admit they're not the best looking, but comfort is #1 for me. Besides, how often are you going to stare at them from the front in a fully-lit room like in the pictures?
I agree. They aren't the best looking chairs aesthetically for sure. If you are more of a "form follows function" guy, then they are definitely worth considering because of the comfort. The Rhumba and Tijuana mimic the old Berkline 45002/45012.
Quote:
Do the Rhumba and the Tijuana basically feel the same except for the thicker headrest on the Tijuana?
Yes, pretty much. The Tijuana has better head support when reclined, especially when reclined most or all the way back. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the chairs reclined back, consider the Tijuana for this reason.
Quote:
There's a few good mentions about the Current, too, but I can't really find anything on the Linus or Channel (aside from this thread, actually). Anything else you can tell me about the differences between all these in terms of comfort? Are any of them divisive in a love-it or hate-it type way? That was one nice thing about my old Berklines...they seemed to be comfortable for people of varying height.
The Linus and Channel have not been very popular sales-wise for us for some reason. But both are more plush and both are comfortable chairs. I have not heard anything bad about any of these models, honestly. If I did I would tell you.

Ken Lerch
StargateCinema.com
Home Theater Seating and Decor
HTSeating.com
Home Theater Seating

 

KenLerch is offline  
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off