Budget Rack Option -- what are the challenges of using a Server Rack for AV equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am building a dedicated home theater room, which will include an equipment room with pass through to the theater room.

Right now -- my proposed solution for an AV rack is to buy a modular 24" x 24" x 74" wire rack that is sold by an online restaurant supply company. Link As a basic wire shelving system -- It will be relatively straight forward and cheap, with casters, 8 shelves and 4 posts and shipping it will come to about $200.

However, I see old, but serviceable server racks on Craigslist for as little as $50. I see others that have used server racks for AV racks -- but I wanted to ask (as a noob to this), what the advantages of a server rack? What are the challenges with using one for AV purposes.

Thanks!

My Bargain Basement Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
The only challenge with using a server rack for AV is the sheer physical size of a typical server rack - and you'll need the correct "cage nuts" to screw gear into the rails (no big deal). Comparing a server rack to an AV rack - the AV racks will also look much nicer - the server racks aren't meant to be "displayed" in a house...

The advantage of a "real" rack (server or AV-centric) over a wire shelf setup is in the flexibility and ease of cabling. Wire shelving will also flex quite a bit with heavy gear, and the feet may interfere with the wire grid. Placing solid shelves will just make things more difficult from a cabling and cooling perspective. Cost to finish the whole thing will depend on how much of your gear is rack-mountable, versus how many individual shelves you would have to buy for the rack.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
The only challenge with using a server rack for AV is the sheer physical size of a typical server rack - and you'll need the correct "cage nuts" to screw gear into the rails (no big deal). Comparing a server rack to an AV rack - the AV racks will also look much nicer - the server racks aren't meant to be "displayed" in a house...

The advantage of a "real" rack (server or AV-centric) over a wire shelf setup is in the flexibility and ease of cabling. Wire shelving will also flex quite a bit with heavy gear, and the feet may interfere with the wire grid. Placing solid shelves will just make things more difficult from a cabling and cooling perspective. Cost to finish the whole thing will depend on how much of your gear is rack-mountable, versus how many individual shelves you would have to buy for the rack.

Jeff
I can't find mounting brackets anywhere for my A/V equipment. I can find the screws but no brackets. Seen a few shelves on ebay but most of them are $30 bucks a shelve. Is this my only option?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebergslim3200 View Post
I can't find mounting brackets anywhere for my A/V equipment. I can find the screws but no brackets. Seen a few shelves on ebay but most of them are $30 bucks a shelve. Is this my only option?
Does your equipment have spots to attach brackets? Those will be model-specific.

And $30 is a decent price for rack-mounted shelves...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a server rack on Craigslist for $50 which I thought was a bargain. It has more than enough room for my equipment, but what u/jautor said is true: the thing is huge and heavy. The screws weren't that expensive, but I've put a small fortune into outfitting it with shelves, blanks, drawers, and custom faceplates for my gear. I think the result looks pretty good, but not fantastic. Pics in my thread.
Oh, and one more thing: beware of stripped screwholes. The combination of shelf, gear and faceplate puts a lot of pressure on the four screws holding it in place. If a couple of those strip, you may have to reconfigure the whole rack or use Locktite or something.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page