Custom Theater Intros Using Final Cut Pro X - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im hoping someone can help with this. I have several 1080p, 7.1 audio lossless intros that highlight DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc. sound and I'd like to add a custom beginning to each of them that puts my home theater name, logo, etc. The files I have are .m2ts and when I bring them into Final Cut Pro X, there is no sound, only video. Does anyone have any experience with these and if I am maybe importing them incorrectly?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Download MPEG Streamclip (free) and open the files there. You have DVD transport streams. Export them as QuickTime files, Apple ProRes LT should be good, same resolution and frame rate as the source. Export those and bring them into FCPX.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately it looks like that will cause a loss in quality. From what I've read the m2ts files need to be transcode dr o one if the pro res formats that Final Cut works best with. I'm not sure why Apple wouldn't support native use of a fike format used by almost all bluray and camcorders but I guess that's just apple. Still looking for some good software to convert the m2ts files without loss of quality. If anyone knows of any.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM

You're working with DVD transport streams. The quality has been lost. Going to ProRes will not lose any quality. This is what I do for a living.

Think of it as starting with a 32oz mug of beer. When you create the DVD transport stream you're essentially pouring that 32oz into a pint glass. Going back to ProRes is like putting it back into the 32oz mug. You won't get the other 16oz back, but you won't be losing any more beer along the way either.

What you have is a delivery format. You need to get it back into a production format to work with it.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks thrillcat. This is helpful. I guess I was under the impression that the m2ts files were exact extractions of the bluray file - with no loss of quality. I actually downloaded them from a website and they were listed as "lossless" files. They were in a .rar file archive and when I extracted them they were .m2ts files. They play fine using VLC, but when I import them into Final Cut Pro X they lose the audio. I guess I'm still confused.

Is there a bluray ripping software for Mac that doesn't result jun any quality loss on either video or audio?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Bluray is a delivery format, not a production codec.

MPEG Streamclip should do what you want, from the disc or from the files. You shouldn't notice a loss in quality. The m2ts files are not lossless compared to the original production files, but they are "lossless" when compared to the Bluray.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page