lighted diy movie poster marqee idea - AVS Forum
Theater Room Items & Accessories > lighted diy movie poster marqee idea
tysonandthor's Avatar tysonandthor 07:36 AM 02-04-2014
Hi all, this is my first post! I love this site - everything ive ever read here has been so creative and beautiful! I finally joined so that I can run my idea through you guys. Is there a reason no one has ever used fluorescent tube bulbs in the making of the lighted movie poster marquee? I saw a simple tutorial on making your own light boxes for drawing and presentation crafts using fluorescent tube bulbs and an acrylic diffuser. I imagine just making a bigger light box and mounting my poster and frame over that instead of using rope light which seemed to get mixed reviews on the strength of the lights. Is there a reason for that? Overheating safety or something?

NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 09:24 AM 02-04-2014
I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that we're in the 21st century on this forum! eek.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
AirBenji's Avatar AirBenji 11:40 AM 02-04-2014
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find more and more cool creative ideas here as you browse...I know I have for sure.

Regarding the fluorescent-lit frames, there are plenty of guys here building/using them. The recent trend towards LED lighting is (I think) due to the fact that they use less energy, run much cooler, potentially offer more uniform lighting, and don't require as deep of a box as the fluorescent tubes do. Here are some fluorescent-lit frames:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box/330#post_23347711
tysonandthor's Avatar tysonandthor 06:29 AM 02-05-2014
Hi airbenji, thanks for the links! My question regarding the LED lights though - some of the articles I've read say that they had a hard time getting it bright enough after a dark poster goes over it. So do you think LED rope lights are the best option even if I'm still in the whole construction phase and could easily have an electrical line run to use an actual light fixture that could be more powerful? Not sure if the articles I read were dealing with finished walls and rope light was better than digging into the dry wall or it actually was just better than everything else in general.
jayn_j's Avatar jayn_j 09:59 AM 02-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonandthor View Post

Hi airbenji, thanks for the links! My question regarding the LED lights though - some of the articles I've read say that they had a hard time getting it bright enough after a dark poster goes over it. So do you think LED rope lights are the best option even if I'm still in the whole construction phase and could easily have an electrical line run to use an actual light fixture that could be more powerful? Not sure if the articles I read were dealing with finished walls and rope light was better than digging into the dry wall or it actually was just better than everything else in general.

I made my first one with LED rope light. You can see my design and results in the DIY thread.

It is too dark. I have it in a dark alcove and it does OK there. One of the issues is that the leds are not all aligned to direct their light toward the poster. I believe that cuzed and others have really improved on my original design by using the strip lighting and external power supply. Any future ones I build will be done that way.

Another factor is heat and UV light. Heat will fade a poster rather quickly. UV will do so even faster, and fluorescent tubes output a LOT of UV. If you plan to display the poster for a long time and care about it, I would stay away from fluorescent.
AirBenji's Avatar AirBenji 08:32 AM 02-11-2014
Jayn_j is right - the brightness/impact is of course largely dependent on the design.

I have built two using LEDs and am just about to start two more...I employed cuzed's design. I don't have much of a frame of reference other than what I see when I go to my local theater, but to my eye, the frames are plenty bright. They appear equivalent to what I see at the theater. Here are some pics - I know it's very difficult to give you a frame of reference through photos, but they're pretty darn bright.

The first is the frame empty with just the sheet of acrylic over the LEDs. The others are some light and dark posters, and I think you can see that they're all well lit. I hope this helps.

Up
Mobile  Desktop