AVS Forum banner

HELP! APC Battery Indicator drops to 75% when disconnecting AC.

442 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  me23 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a brand new SMT1500RM2U APC UPS that I feel is behaving a bit strangely. I've let it charge fully for several days. However, as soon as I pull the plug and it switches to battery, the battery indicator plunges from 100% to 75% (in less than 10 seconds!). After this, it slowly goes down 74, 73, ... it runs 50 minutes before the batteries are out. (The load is 210W / 259VA). Even without any load at all, the unit goes down to 75% in a very short time when AC is disconnected.

I also have an older APC S15 with percentage indicator, and it behaves perfectly normally. When pulling the plug, the percentage slowly drops from 100% to 99, 98, 97, 96, 95 in a fairly linear manner. The way you'd expect it to work.

APC support is not much help. They want to see Powerchute logs and so on. I've already spent too much time with tech support. At this point I'm just wondering if I should return the unit to the seller and get a new one. However, if this is normal behavior for the SMT-series, then I'd rather not waste my time nor the sellers time and money on that.

If someone else has a fairly new APC SMT-model with percentage indicator, please let me know how your units behave? Is what I'm seeing normal or not?

Thanks,

Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
No that's not normal. You should be getting closer to 90 mins. If possible I would return the unit to the seller and get another one. Occasionally you will find apc having bad units or even ones that are DOA. Having said that, I still recommend APC.

I have 4 different APC ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.