Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Cheers Kipp !

Guinness for a late Lunch Today!!! Yum! ,
First Beer of 2014 for me (might have a Scotch for dessert)

What is wrong with you. eek.gif

I love beer. Sadly it loves me too. I start with beer, then move on to Scotch. It's a happy thing. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2487 Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

Quote:

Cheers Kipp !

Guinness for a late Lunch Today!!! Yum! ,
First Beer of 2014 for me (might have a Scotch for dessert)

What is wrong with you. eek.gif

I love beer. Sadly it loves me too. I start with beer, then move on to Scotch. It's a happy thing. smile.gif

Sounds like last night! Except the beer was a couple different IPAs. Treated myself to a little Lagavulin when I got home. A happy thing indeed !

post #2433 of 2487 Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36

I actually like beer, specially the darker creamy stuff like Guinness or Kilkenny

but I require too many to get a decent buzz going, which for most part does not fit my low-carb lifestyle.

I'm on a high protein, moderate fat, almost no carb diet for most of the year and scotch/vodka won't turn to belly fat like beer does if I happen to over-indulge.

It sure helps that just two or three drams of zero carb 60% Cask Strength Whisky is all it takes to get a good buzz on compared to 6-8 beer.

I do however feel obligated to have a Guinness (or 4)  on St.Patricks Day,

usually the only time of year it goes on sale ;) 

Guinness is actually good for you, according to Men's Fitness Magazine :D

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/beers-calories-and-carbs

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/6-surprisingly-healthy-beers

Quote:
 It’s becoming less and less of a secret at this point, but Guinness Draught, everyone’s St. Pattys Day pint of choice, is not as filling as its thick, dark body would suggest. A serving of the stout beer boasts 126 calories, which is 19 less than a Budweiser and 24 less than a Heineken. Guinness also contains a shade under 10 carbs, which is less than, say, Sam Adams Boston Lager (18 carbs per serving). This is all partly due to Guinness’ low alcohol content (4.0), but don’t use any of this as an excuse to tack on a few car bombs this St. Pattys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #2434 of 2487 Old 03-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Happy Saint Patty's day lads.

Watching a hockey game and sipping on this:

That's Irish, right?

post #2435 of 2487 Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 PM

I just have to say that Glendronach Original (12 y\o) has to be one of the best whiskies for the price. Damn, this stuff is good.

post #2436 of 2487 Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got agree with you there Bud. Top dog in its price range for sure!

Here's some other good Single Malt choices I've found for under $58

(I like to buy in bulk to get an additional 10% off with my membership)

even Cardhu has been marked down recently (Usually over  $70)

...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #2437 of 2487 Old 03-27-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

PayDay!

So I replenished a couple old favorites that were running low,

Ardbeg Ten ($56) and a GlenDronach Single Cask 10 y/o ($79)

...and for variety something new that I always wanted to try

GlenDronach 14 y/o Virgin Oak finished, marked down $69 ($10 off today)

Not the typical Sherry Matured GlenDronach is known for, but I'm feeling adventurous today :D

July 2010 saw the release of 4 new GlenDronach Wood Finishes

- the first of their kind to ever be released by the distillery in its 180 year history.

The GlenDronach Virgin Oak Wood Finish expression was initially matured in European oak

and thereafter finished its maturation in a very small batch of Virgin Oak,

which have given the whisky its own unique flavours and aromas.

Tasting Notes:

Appearance

Light gold. Freshly harvest straw.

Nose

Toasted oak elements which are so intense that smoky attributes emerge.

Sweet and lush tropical fruits rise with prominence. Banana and cacao, with roasted coconut.

Palate

Spiced ginger and cinnamon cake with a beautiful smoky twist.

Creamed desicated coconut and fresh buttered toast with a handful of hazelnuts on the side.

Conclusions

A glorious nut feast with superb depth.

post #2438 of 2487 Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The verdict is in on the 14 y/o Virgin Oak GlenDronach!

I was expecting to be slightly disappointed after being Single Cask spoiled for so long,

But I was pleasantly surprised! It's not bad at all, just "different" than anything else I've ever tried.

The fresh American Oak influence brings out a delicious buttery Vanilla , Banana, Creme Cocoa sweetness.

There is some Smoke, but not like a peaty campfire smoke like Islay malts,

It's almost like fresh cut hardwood where the saw blade slightly toasted the grain,

ahhh, that just brought back memories of High School wood shop class. Good Times!

I only wanted a small taste last night to hold me over until the weekend, but I ended up pouring Three Drams!

It just got better each time, this profile really agrees with me for some reason and will always have a place on my shelf now.

I'm convinced now more than ever GlenDronach is incapable of making a bad whisky.

My only regret is putting off trying this one for so long because it doesn't necessarily score as high as some others in that price range.

morgbug likes this.

post #2439 of 2487 Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Those prices you posted make me want to cry. Seriously.

Highland Park 12 y/o is $69.99 before adding 13% tax to it. Cardhu is $80-85. Completely obscene AFAIC.

Off to Minneapolis later this week, so may pick up 2-3 bottles and pay the duty as it would still leave me miles ahead.

In the interim I was inspired by your Glendronach posts. Still not much in the way of selection comparatively around here, so the only option I didn't own was the Single Cask 1488. For whatever reason all the available bottles in stores are numbered in the 300s (out of 641). I stumbled across #34 the other day (the other five in the store were numbered in the 300s as well) so decided to gamble on it.

PioManiac likes this.

post #2440 of 2487 Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I wanted a new Scotch tonight so went shopping at our small state sanctioned liquor store expecting worse than I ended up finding. They had a Talisker 10 year that was 58.95. I remember not that many years ago I could pick up Talisker for $30-35 if I looked around a bit...oh well. Also picked up a new to me IPA, Three Creeks out of Sisters, OR. Really nice. Talisker for dessert....

post #2441 of 2487 Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

Those prices you posted make me want to cry. Seriously.

Highland Park 12 y/o is $69.99 before adding 13% tax to it. Cardhu is $80-85. Completely obscene AFAIC.

Off to Minneapolis later this week, so may pick up 2-3 bottles and pay the duty as it would still leave me miles ahead.

In the interim I was inspired by your Glendronach posts. Still not much in the way of selection comparatively around here, so the only option I didn't own was the Single Cask 1488. For whatever reason all the available bottles in stores are numbered in the 300s (out of 641). I stumbled across #34 the other day (the other five in the store were numbered in the 300s as well) so decided to gamble on it.

Good Job Mate!

(BTW, bottles in the middle of the batch are preferred. so 300 out of a 600 batch is pefect!)

Interested to hear your impression when you crack it,

Do a 3 way comparison with the 12 y/o Original and your 21 y/o Parliament  (and a Revival if you have any left)

Make sure you tuck away few bucks for this Summer and I'll take you shopping the next time your up here mate.

Lower prices  plus  I get a member discount, and tax is only 5%.

post #2442 of 2487 Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Good Job Mate!

(BTW, bottles in the middle of the batch are preferred. so 300 out of a 600 batch is pefect!)
Interested to hear your impression when you crack it,
Do a 3 way comparison with the 12 y/o Original and your 21 y/o Parliament  (and a Revival if you have any left)

Make sure you tuck away few bucks for this Summer and I'll take you shopping the next time your up here mate.
Lower prices  plus  I get a member discount, and tax is only 5%.

D'oh! redface.gif

Ah well, if it tastes good, I'll grab another bottle. This stuff isn't flying off the shelves by any stretch. I believe I bought the first bottle at that particular store and it's been on the shelf a while. We don't go in for sales much, but there's a chance I might be able to pick one up someday for closer to $100.

Would love to go shopping with you, but it all hangs on a 13 year old kid making provincial teams, be it volleyball or basketball. Western Canadian championships are in Edmonton for both events in July. She has a decent shot at both.

Will have to do that comparison with the Revival and the Parliament, the Original is empty. I'll be grabbing another bottle when it goes on sale again. It leaped past Cragganmore as my favorite, though to be fair I haven't had any Cragganmore since I bought that bottle.

Plan for next week is to pick up a bottle of Glendronach batch #2 and possibly the 14 y/o or 18 y/o. Depends what's around. I also want to grab an Oban if I can because I do like it very much and it's obscenely priced here at $125/bottle. I know I can find it for $65 stateside and there are occasional sales that push it down to the $45 range.

post #2443 of 2487 Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I wanted a new Scotch tonight so went shopping at our small state sanctioned liquor store expecting worse than I ended up finding. They had a Talisker 10 year that was 58.95. I remember not that many years ago I could pick up Talisker for $30-35 if I looked around a bit...oh well. Also picked up a new to me IPA, Three Creeks out of Sisters, OR. Really nice. Talisker for dessert....

I wonder if the U.S. had the same experience as we in Canada did? For a while, the Scotch whisky distillers had their products purposely depressed in price to build the market. That ended around five or so years ago in Canada and our prices went up (for those of us with provincially = state run liquor boards) considerably. The huge, recent popularity of Scotch in Asian markets also seems to have driven up price, by demand lowering supply in locations where things used to be easy to find. Never mind the impact it's had on Macallan who has moved away from age statements on the label and now seemingly Bruichladdich is rumoured to be doing the same.

I still have a sealed Macallan 12 y/o on my shelf but I wouldn't mind picking up another if I can locate it. That's always the problem though, too many things I want for various reasons.

post #2444 of 2487 Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

AHH,Life is Good!

I almost finished off that GlenDronach 14 Virgin Oak in less than a week, So I went back for another before the sale ended.

I found it really helped bridge the gap between my sherried GD's and the Springbank, with just a little more smoke and a bit of peat.

After a Springbank I can easily move to an Ardbeg where as before going from a regular GlenDronach to a Peated Ardbeg was too harsh.

I'm really enjoying my Sprinbank more now as a result

the level in the bottle has dropped some and it's also had room to breath (oxidization)

post #2445 of 2487 Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Today I got my BirthDay Bottle :D

I've had my eye on it for a while because it seemed under priced for a 22 y/o Laddie

Bruichladdich Black Art 03.1

I told my friendly cashier at CO OP it was for my B-Day and he gave me a free Vodka Cooler

The Manager overheard the conversation and quickly punched in a $25 Off Coupon code!!

So I paid $143 tax included , out the door.  (Bottle is actually valued at $220 - $300 in the USA)

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/bruichladdich+black+art+third+edition+22+old+single+malt+scotch+whisky+islay+scotland

post #2446 of 2487 Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yet Another update (sorry guys) more Scotch talk (Surprise!)

I Hit my 25 year anniversary at the office and the boy's chipped in and got me Bottle...

18 y/o Glenmorangie Extremely Rare

Nice gesture for sure, but the Big Prize comes at the annual Christmas party

which usually consists of a trip some where nice, I'm guessing Scotland for some Distillery Tours

(last Guy went to Italy because his wife is a local Wine merchant).

For my 20th I had an all expense trip for two to Las Vegas with a couple grand spending money.

post #2447 of 2487 Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Wow, impressive haul in a short time. I had precisely the opposite luck, our Minneapolis run got short circuited by a wee blizzard that dropped about 20" on the highway smack in the middle of here and there. Highway was closed the entire day we were supposed to head down and was pretty dubious condition for most of the rest of the day, so we just canceled. Was really hoping to check out Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville. I'd convinced myself to buy three bottles too. The original plan from my perspective was two bottles, but I was going to declare anyway and if I was going to get pulled in to pay duty on half a bottle, I might as well get the third. Alas, was not to be.

Fargo next weekend but pretty weak selection in terms of pricing and product. I do know people that have lucked out finding an Oban 14 on sale for $45 so I'm hoping that is my luck too.

post #2448 of 2487 Old 04-13-2014, 01:37 AM

Liked: 11

I myself have a bit of a tradition, most Friday and Saturday nights I generally watch movies and get plastered while chatting on Facebook. These days its cheaper, easier, safer, and dare I say it, more fun than hitting the clubs and pubs.

megdagooch likes this.
post #2449 of 2487 Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Liked: 23
Much cheaper and safer by far to stay home and enjoy beverages. As for facebook, my wife has banned me...but that story is for another day.
post #2450 of 2487 Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I went cheap this week,

both bottles were $40 ea

(before I cashed in a $15 credit coupon)

...so closer to $32 each

Auchentoshan 12 year old

American Oak and Oloroso Sherry 40%

I get a craving for some peat smoke sometimes

and heard this one is a great value for the quality

So I picked up a Laphroiag Quarter Cask (48%)

lovinthehd likes this.

post #2451 of 2487 Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Haven't checked in for a while, but since I'm here and technically title worthy...cheers!

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #2452 of 2487 Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheers' Mates!

Kickin of an Easter Long Weekend and have no idea what I'm drinking yet.

...there's a first time for everything I guess.

I actually have a Home Theater Accessory to post about for a change,

but still on topic for the purposes of this thread...

an 8 bottle counter top wine cooler,

it was a freebie the G/F brought home, didn't like it in the Kitchen so it ended up here...

I don't normally drink wine, but when I do its an Italian Red and room temperature, So I guess its mostly for her White Wine

...I did pick up a bottle of Sherry a couple weeks ago that needs chilling though.

*update* I found my Sherry bottle and totally forgot I grabbed a Smirnoff Root Beer Float Vodka on sale for $26!!!

Problem Solved! now I know what I'm having tonite!

post #2453 of 2487 Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Nice little accessory, though it detracts from the whisky collection wink.gif

Made my trip to Fargo last week and it was productive, but not nearly as productive as planned. I had hoped to find some Aberlour or Glendronach but it just wasn't to be. I managed to pick up the bottle of Oban I've been longing for since last September. It was $62.99, which isn't as good as a friend picked it up for ($45 on sale) but is almost precisely half the price they charge for it here: $124.99 and then 13% tax on top of it eek.gif

I did finally realize that I can pick up Surly beer in Moorhead, so I don't need to go all the way to Minneapolis to get it. Nice to save a few hours driving, but I never really drive there just for beer anyway, it's just an added bonus of being there. Picked up a four pack of Cynic and a four pack of Furious.

Not my image, but it sure is purty:

And tasty.

Monsieur Pio, what are the prices for Aberlour 16 and A'bunadh in your friendly Co-op? Still hoping to make it to Alberta this summer.

post #2454 of 2487 Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the wine cooler will be relocated soon, too cramped on the "Whisky" side of the room

I cant recall 100%, but think the Oban goes for about $96 here, I'll be back to double check that soon enough.

Aberlour A'Bunadh was around $70 at Co-op, last year

But have not replenished their stock since I cleaned them out last Christmas, other local shops charge about $83-$86 still a good value (IMHO)

Co-op does have a lot of the 16 y/o double wood (43%), but I've never been tempted at full price +$20 more than the cask strength A'Bunadh

To me, a 60% Bunadh for substantially less money is a better value because it's so concentrated.

..once you add enough water to tame it, you're getting a bottle and a half of Malty Greatness for almost $20 less than the price of the weaker 16 y/o.

You can actually add a LOT of water to the Bunadh to cut the mouth numbing alcohol burn, yet the intense flavor still remains very prominent.

I like the fact that I control how strong my dram is without being limited to what comes out the bottle.

Probably why most of my collection is in the 48%-60% range.

post #2455 of 2487 Old 04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess the Oban is cheaper than I thought,

and two bottles over, your other favorite...for the same price

I only spent $3.69 on Scotch today...

Haha! Gotcha!

Moved the wine cooler to the corner

More room for the Good stuff now...

morgbug likes this.

post #2456 of 2487 Old 04-19-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Pizza and Red Wine for dinner....

Root Beer Floats for desert!

Later I'll pour a Scotch for a night cap to finish the Trifecta of Pleasure

post #2457 of 2487 Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the Aberlour. The doublewood is around $90 here I think and seems to be getting harder to find. The A'bunadh is less, around $84, so surprisingly not that different. Stores are currently sitting on batch 46 though I've read a bit that 47 is better, so I may wait for that. Only early reports though, so we'll see what happens.

Still definitely worthwhile for me to wait to shop in the U.S. on most stuff. Cardhu only $39.99; Cragganmore around $42 and Oban at $62, though your price is a far site better than our $125:rolleyes:

post #2458 of 2487 Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Tipping back a wee dram of Cragganmore to celebrate my daughter's team winning the Provincial Club Volleyball championship (u14 age group) tonight.

Proud papa. biggrin.gif

post #2459 of 2487 Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats Mo'

one step closer to an Edmonton road trip huh?

I may have a couple GD Single casks set aside for you just in case the store shelves are empty

I was out for a cruise on the Motorcycle last night, and found a $79 Ardbeg Uigeadial at Wine & Beyond (reg price is $120)

...from 2012, stock is dwindling and prices are on the rise since it was replaced in 2013 with Ardbog at $130+

Too bad they only had one left or I would have grabbed more!

For some reason I'm straying away from the sweeter heavily sherried malts

and find myself craving the smokey peaty stuff, Never saw that coming at All,

it used to be just once or twice a month, now its once or twice a week I need a fix.

Move over GlenDronach, Ardbeg is taking over my #1 spot for my goto Top Shelf Whisky

post #2460 of 2487 Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Derby time!!!

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
good times!

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page