Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated... - Page 83 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2461 of 2476 Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Worst site ever to drink and browse, I just want to buy expensive things, and feel like I can justify those purchases when drinking. /Glenfiddich 21

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2476 Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Doing a wee bit of comparison tasting these days. Glenmorangie 10 vs. La Santa this evening. Thinking we'll break out the Quinta Ruban tomorrow. Also need to crack my Aberlour 16 at some point in the near future (yes, I ignored your advice PioManiac - I'm waiting for batch 47 to show up).
post #2463 of 2476 Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Liked: 23
Whats up friends? Its been a few since I've been on. We all doing well?
post #2464 of 2476 Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been very busy lately, summer is short here so I'm out on the motorcycle a LOT!
My truck has gone through several transmission rebuilds (Supercharger eats them like a fat kid on skittles)
a buddy and I are installing a custom built trans tomorrow, fingers crossed that one will last (lucky number 5)

Back on Topic..still on the whisky even though its Summer time,
I just cant resist the stuff, I'm hooked!

I grabbed a couple more Smokey Peated Islay malts recently

Lagavulin 16

Ardbeg AuriVerdes (Gold and Green, for Brazil's World Cup football launch) even came with Freebie glasses

Enjoying the Lagavulin with some old cheddar, smoked salmon and Dad's home made beef jerky right now.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #2465 of 2476 Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Summer is beer season for me I'm afraid. Just enjoy it too much. Been drinking a bit of whisky though, as our weather has been atrocious: rain and cool, so fine whisky weather. Working my way through the Acnoc and an Aberlour 16 year old that went on clearance in these parts so became reasonable at around $64 plus taxes. Sadly only able to find one extra at that price.

Otherwise just enjoying the summer and planning my whisky shopping for the fall: Minneapolis twice in September and Montreal same month. Nada for October but Portland in November and Hawaii in December. Should be able to restock the shelves with prices not awful, unlike locally.

Like the Lagavulin but very pricey here and the only Ardbeg we can get locally is the Ten. It's a sad land, devoid of reasonable whisky.
post #2466 of 2476 Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up the Lagavulin for $79 at Costco liquor, not too bad
It's pretty good stuff, by falls short (IMHO) at 43% compared to Ardbeg's Uigeadail at 54%
...which I picked up at Superstore liquor for the exact same price, going back for more on payday!

Lately Superstore has really stepped up the quality of their selection, and prices are pretty decent.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #2467 of 2476 Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Happy Canada Day my friends (not much left of it). Not much celebrating going on given tomorrow is a work day.

I need to move to Alberta. Or Minneapolis. Lagavulin is $129 here (+13% tax). The only Ardbeg we can get locally is the 10 y/o and it's $94.
post #2468 of 2476 Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I hate to interrupt a whisky conversation with something as trivial as cheap beer, but for those who haven't heard, Narragansett is bringing back the old beer cans this summer…

post #2469 of 2476 Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Oh trust me, I'm a beer guy through and through. I'll even drink cheap stuff and I'd love to get my hands on that poster for my basement, it's beautiful.

I'd love to see more general drinking comments in here because it sure looks like the crazy whisky guys have taken over and that's just not right. Bring your cheap beer and rum and tequila, we need more...
post #2470 of 2476 Old 07-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Mr. Pio,
What sort of Glendronach is likely to be floating around Alberta in August. Nope, the kid is't getting me there, she went and made a different team and is heading to B.C. But I've got a buddy taking his kid out to Calgary by car so he can pick up stuff for me. We have the 12/15/21 regularly here, but what would be common out there? Alternately, could you suggest some good deals that are usually about. I expect he'll just hit a Superstore or the like.
post #2471 of 2476 Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The only two retailers I'm familiar with in Calgary that may have what you're looking for are Kensington Wine Market and the Co-op.

https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/

http://coopwinespiritsbeer.com/

I can find several GD Single Cask offerings in Edmonton at the local Co-op and Wine and Beyond
and there's a few smaller independent retailers that have the GD Cask Strength (Batch #2 and #3 )

You wont find any Glendronach at Superstore liquor,
But they do have Ardbeg 10 y/o and Uigeadail the cheapest in town
they also have Lagavulin 16 y/o cheaper than anywhere in Canada.

My First Home Theater
post #2472 of 2476 Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

...and for the record,

I've kept my bar fridge stocked full with Corona since we've hit 30º ( 90's ºF) temps over the past few weeks,
...and been drinking extra spicy Mott's Calmato Caesars in the evenings.

Beer & Clam is so awesome with a big Sub Sammich on a sunny Saturday afternoon after cutting the grass!

My First Home Theater
post #2473 of 2476 Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
The only two retailers I'm familiar with in Calgary that may have what you're looking for are Kensington Wine Market and the Co-op.

https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/

http://coopwinespiritsbeer.com/

I can find several GD Single Cask offerings in Edmonton at the local Co-op and Wine and Beyond
and there's a few smaller independent retailers that have the GD Cask Strength (Batch #2 and #3 )

You wont find any Glendronach at Superstore liquor,
But they do have Ardbeg 10 y/o and Uigeadail the cheapest in town
they also have Lagavulin 16 y/o cheaper than anywhere in Canada.
Thanks. I can still find the GD Cask Strength stuff in abundance in Minneapolis, but if I could find some of the single cask offerings that would be dandy. I created a list from the Kensington website as well. So thanks. BTW, do you have to be a member to buy at Coop?

In sad news Glendronach 15 y/o revival is up to $94 locally
post #2474 of 2476 Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

No need for a Co-op membership, it just pays you back annual dividends for some of the money you spend,
plus they throw a few coupons in the mail once in a while that are good for about $100 a year.

Revival is good, but not at that good, I suspect the price has gone up due to its popularity, (thanks Ralfy!)
I wont buy it anymore now that its jumped from $75 to $90.

Any whisky over $80 I buy tends to be Cask Strength now (50% - 60%)
I can get a 10 y/o Glendronach Single Cask (54%) for $79 that blows the Revival away.
Or I'll pick up an Aberlour A'Bunadh for $84 at 60% for a real sherry monster that needs a LOT of water to tame.
The bottle lasts twice as long when you only need to pour half a dram to kick your ass

My First Home Theater
post #2475 of 2476 Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Out to Saskatchewan for a couple of days and couldn't resist picking some up. It's been years since I had any...

post #2476 of 2476 Old Today, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Dug out some vintage Zima, today. Yeah, I said it....good in the HT.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page