Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated... - Page 85 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
post #2521 of 2533 Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

and this was just too good to pass up, (don't look Mo'!)
GlenDronach Single Cask 10 y/o cask strength 54.1%
one of the finest sherried single malts I've ever had... for just $57.97
(sorry for the blurry phone pic)

That's for missing out on that great price. I'd have bought a case too.

Quote:
There is speculation from my stores distributor that GlenDronach "may" be following other distilleries NAS (no age statement) releases
but they cant really introduce the new whisky when older "age statement" bottles are still readily available.
...So they are discounting the age statement bottles to move them off the shelves before bringing in the new stuff.

Weird, I would have thought the fact that the older age statement bottles will eventually be gone for ever
would justify charging a premium (increased cost) for them???

Glendronach is my clear favorite distillery and if they're going to NAS stuff, I'll be very, very disappointed.

I'm also a little dismayed that these sales are now and not in May when I'll be in Calgary. That's very painful to me. My big goal for May was to hit up a number of stores and see what single Cask Glendronachs were about and I was really hoping to stumble into a ten year old version to try.

I have to say I'm surprised they'd kill their core line to bring in NAS whiskies, given how much Ralfy has elevated the reputation of the Revival. Weird. Also weird that given they just released the 11th release of their single cask whiskies they might be moving away from it? Very confusing all around.

Just hope something remains when I get to Calgary.

Boomassiv, many sherry finish whiskies will tickle your fancy if you like the Macallan. Pricing might very a bit, as the 12 y/o Macallan can be had for quite a low price. I very much like the Glendronach 12 y/o which is also a sherry finish, but will price out higher than the Macallan. The Aberlours are quite good as well. I've not had the 12, but the 16 and the A'bunadh (release 49 is apparently very good) are both sherry bombs. I've also heard the BenRiach 12 matured in sherry wood is better than their 16 year old Pedro Ximenez finish. I have the latter and it is very good so if the 12 is better, for less money that's a win. It should be comparably priced with the Macallan. If Glendronach is moving to NAS whiskies, I might move to buying BenRiach more regularly though it is all under the same umbrella company.
Boomassiv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2533 Old 03-19-2015, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the recommendations I will try some of those also. I have been on a tequila kick the last few days though and wondering what a $$$ tequila will do for me. Right now I have El Mayor Anejo and Tres Generaciones Anejo out which are both under the $45 mark. The 12year Macallan cost me $70+ after taxes here unfortunately.
post #2523 of 2533 Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yet another Laddie added to the shelf, The Scottish Barley Classic Laddie

Their entry level un-peated offering that replaced the Laddie 10,
Nothing but pure velvety Barley syrup and a buttery vanilla Oak cask influence
from American ex-bourbon barrels. no color added, non-chill filtered, and bottled at 50% Woohoo!!

and just...$55 more than makes up for missing out on more of the Glendronach 14 y/o Virgin Oak

It's very similar to my Bruichladdich Islay Barley ($68, Gold tin),
woody with subtle fruity tones of peach, pear and a touch of orange/lemon grapefruit.

I'm very impressed with the quality for the money from this Distillery
Currently looking for the Bere Barley version, a rare ancient barley that dates back to the Vikings

http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-whi...re-barley-2008

I've already located a Black Art 4.1 (23 y/o), B-Day is about 4 weeks away

I must say they have the most impressive painted embossed tins/bottles if you're into collecting them.
My B-Day bottle from last year Black Art 3.1 22 y/o Bourbon Matured with fine Red Wine finish

The best part about painted bottles is the wife can't see how much you've had,
...the bad part is you can't see how much is left.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-19-2015 at 06:39 PM.
post #2524 of 2533 Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I haven't tried any of those libations but I must say, for the price, this Scotch is awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1836590_10152866961589522_6042074269068550098_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	613345  

post #2525 of 2533 Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I haven't tried any of those libations but I must say, for the price, this Scotch is awesome!
I've not had that but I have heard there are some very good blends around these days. Great King Street is apparently remarkable for the price point.

Boomassiv, where are you located? $70 seems high if you're in the U.S., even in Hawaii I was able to find Macallan 12 for under $60.
post #2526 of 2533 Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post
I've not had that but I have heard there are some very good blends around these days. Great King Street is apparently remarkable for the price point.

Boomassiv, where are you located? $70 seems high if you're in the U.S., even in Hawaii I was able to find Macallan 12 for under $60.

Little Rock Arkansas area and spirits have always been high in this area. I don't travel for work like I used to so no chance to stock up elsewhere. 61.95 or something here but the taxes......
post #2527 of 2533 Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Was perusing the "behind locked glass" section of my store the other day. If we divide it between three of us it's only $1,333.33 each.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #2528 of 2533 Old 03-22-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
Little Rock Arkansas area and spirits have always been high in this area. I don't travel for work like I used to so no chance to stock up elsewhere. 61.95 or something here but the taxes......
Ah, I see. I never get to that part of the country so don't know it at all. And taxes, yeah, taxes. 13% for us. Costco maybe? Probably depends on state laws.

40 year old Balvenie, hmm? Gonna have to pass on that one, I really don't think I'd appreciate that just yet Waboman.

I did buy a bottle today and I blame Pio for it. I scored the very last bottle of Glendronach cask #1488 in the province. I had them bring it down from about four hours away and picked it up today. #269 . I also have a couple in the 300s and one sub-100 numbered bottle, all out of 641 total bottles. That'll tide me over until I get to Calgary and hopefully can find some numbered batches out there.
post #2529 of 2533 Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
$4000?
Too rich for me, I'd rather have 40 $100 bottles than a single for $4k

My most expensive bottle was $200, maybe a handful around $150 bought on special occasions.
But most of my Scotch purchases fall between $50-$100 ...about $75 on average.
My taste buds can appreciate the jump in quality at $100 bottle over most $50 bottles.
...But the difference is not nearly as noticeable when jumping from a $100 to $200 bottle.
it should be twice as good , but its not often the case.

Kind of like doubling the wattage of your amplifier from 50w to 100w may only realize
an increase in about 3db and will most certainly not sound twice as loud.

The highest price bottle I've seen locally is a 50 y/o Glenfiddich.
I like my Scotch, but I think I'd rather have a $100 bottle and a new Harley instead for $22k

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.
post #2530 of 2533 Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I see a lot of scotch and thought that this thread could use a collection of good ole' Kentucky Bourbon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	624857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2557.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	624865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	624873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2560.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	624881  

Samsung 65HU9000 (Living Room)
post #2531 of 2533 Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshughes View Post
I see a lot of scotch and thought that this thread could use a collection of good ole' Kentucky Bourbon!
Nice.

I'm sadly not much of a bourbon guy. Sort of killed it for myself in my teenage years with Jack and Jim in bad situations. I should probably try something nice again but still far too many Scotch whiskies I want to add to my collection.

Go Cards!
wshughes likes this.
post #2532 of 2533 Old Today, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
$4000?
Too rich for me, I'd rather have 40 $100 bottles than a single for $4k

My most expensive bottle was $200, maybe a handful around $150 bought on special occasions.
But most of my Scotch purchases fall between $50-$100 ...about $75 on average.
My taste buds can appreciate the jump in quality at $100 bottle over most $50 bottles.
...But the difference is not nearly as noticeable when jumping from a $100 to $200 bottle.
it should be twice as good , but its not often the case.

Kind of like doubling the wattage of your amplifier from 50w to 100w may only realize
an increase in about 3db and will most certainly not sound twice as loud.

The highest price bottle I've seen locally is a 50 y/o Glenfiddich.
I like my Scotch, but I think I'd rather have a $100 bottle and a new Harley instead for $22k

I read an article on this stuff and they said the last bottle sold in the states went for 38000 at auction. That would be a nice turn around.
post #2533 of 2533 Unread Today, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post
I read an article on this stuff and they said the last bottle sold in the states went for 38000 at auction. That would be a nice turn around.
Maybe we should all go in on it, since it's priced in Canadian dollars there in the photo. Add a 25% premium with U.S. bucks.

Oh, and the Cards won tonight. Drinking a little whisky and a little beer to celebrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page