Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated... - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

Old 09-20-2015, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Page 2?

Shame on y'all.

Starting to get a little frustrated by both the price of whisky and the declining Canadian dollar. Will still buy whisky but have started tapping into the rum side of things as well:

Not that all of these are cheaper than whisky, but just looking for something a little different. I've had the Appleton Master Blenders Legacy for quite a few years and haven't cracked it. It costs about double now what I paid back then. The Pumpkin face stuff I've been curious to try and finally picked it up this week since I was flying through Calgary - same price as it was last time I passed through, but at that time the dollar was near par and buying it stateside made more sense. With the dollar tumble the pricing became more fair. I picked up a couple of the Diplomatico 2000 bottles locally - it seems we have the cheapest price for it and it's a good $30 cheaper than in Alberta, which is just plain odd.

Last edited by morgbug; 09-20-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I haven't even stepped into a liquor store since June,
I totally cleaned up my diet and started working out again.
Feels pretty good on my waist line, and my bank account .

But all things in moderation so I finally took a break from being "good"
and stopped by the booze store this weekend and was shocked to see some of my favorite Single Malt Scotch Whisky jumped from $70 to $100 . W-T-F???

So I ended up going home with a $32 bottle of Bulleit Bourbon ,
pretty good stuff for the price!
...after its gone I'm back on the wagon again until Christmas

Finally finished off my new Garage,
just a little more landscaping to do yet then I'm done and ready for Winter hibernation.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 PM

I don't know whether to congratulate you or weep openly. Honestly, I'm a little torn on the subject...

Nah, seriously, good for you. When I stopped drinking regular soda pop I dropped 15 pounds. I'm quite certain that stopping drinking liquor would do precisely the same. I just don't want to at the moment.

Curious though, what is your favorite single malt? And were I you, I'd blame the NDP.

I did pick up yet another bottle of Glendronach 12 y/o today though - bottle marked as bottled 2013 making it an 18 y/o whisky and that's darn fine value. Probably be the last one of those I find though, the remainder on the shelf were 2014 bottlings make them as promised by the label.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Bump from page 2! ...and almost lost to page 3

Hey Mo'

Still drier than a popcorn fart and saving a ton o' ca$h in the process.
My next trip to the local bottle shop won't likely be until Christmas break.

One of my favorites is the GlenDronach 12 y/o you just mentioned,
my best find for a fair priced go-to entry level single malt for under $50.
Well its now $68 at most places, and it isn't even the old stock anymore either

I can't even stop in to look at any of the local shops prices anymore, other than Superstore.
They still beat everyone else around here by a substantial margin but their selection is somewhat limited.

No Single Cask GD's, Hard enough to find in the first place, now impossible to find under $100
No Aberlour A'bunadh (that jumped from $72 to $99 everywhere this year)
No Bruichladdich

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!

Last edited by PioManiac; 11-07-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
No Single Cask GD's, Hard enough to find in the first place, now impossible to find under $100
No Aberlour A'bunadh (that jumped from $72 to $99 everywhere this year)
No Bruichladdich
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I've been watching the Alberta situation through the liquor barn website and the pricing is still better than us, but you're catching up which is tragic. Our prices have increased of late again but there's still one bargain available to us - Aberlour A'bunadh is still (well, as of a couple of weeks ago, I'm afraid to look right now) under $80. We're still on batch 49 so I've socked away a couple of bottles, but our price is better than you and competitive with U.S. pricing, so you know it can't last long.

I'd heard Highland Park 18 is a very good price around $125 or so; it's about that in the U.S. and $199 locally for me.

Off to Minneapolis on Saturday so I'll have a couple of bottles to post about later next week.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I stopped in today to browse the new combo samplers that usually show up around the holiday season.
...When I spotted an Ardbeg Escape pack I HAD to have

https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/...gCarbonite.jpg

Had a couple shots this afternoon while hanging Christmas lights.

Good to be back off the wagon for a while

My First Home Theater

Last edited by PioManiac; 11-23-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM

That's pretty cool looking, oh that I was an Ardbeg guy. We very rarely get anything interesting like that. I know Edradour floats a glass/bottle/box pack around frequently but we never see it.

Back from Minneapolis though being there without wheels was both weird and frustrating. Had to hit up Haskell's with less good pricing, though had a good conversation with the shop keep. Picked up a Macallan 12 - apparently there's a rumor stateside that they're going to be hit up with the color series and lose the younger age statements some time next year. No idea of the truth, but that's what I was told.

Also snagged an Oban Distiller's Edition (15 y/o) as I've been told for a while this whisky fits the taste profile I have very, very well. Got it for the equivalent of $100 CAD which is pretty good because I think it retails around $150 in Alberta (I can't get it locally).

Big meeting next year is in Florida and they have total wine, but the prices are pretty poor compared to Minnesota. Anyone out there with suggestions for liquor purchases in the Orlando area, preferably close to the convention center?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well although my favorite Sherry Bomb high ABV Single Malt (Aberlour A'bunadh) is near $100 now,
I did find the next best thing...the cask strength Glenfarclas 105 at just $80 (after $5 coupon applied).

Just the ticket before heading out to shovel snow again, for the 4th time in the past 24 hours.

morgbug likes this.

My First Home Theater
Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 PM

I have three bottles of A'bunadh now (all batch #49 ). For reasons I can't explain, it's $80 locally. You guys are at $100, even Minneapolis is at the same price in USD, but it's still cheap for us. I'm waiting for some back pay and I'll grab another if the price remains. We can't get the 105 locally but I am very curious to hear your opinion of the "new" version: it's an NAS now versus the older stock that was ten years old. Are you noticing any difference from previous bottles you've consumed? I still have two of the ten y/o sealed but bypassed back in September when I had a chance to buy the NAS, opting for the rum at the top of page 88. So whatcha think of it?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:14 PM

Whaaa! double post. Prior to putting the ten y/o age statement on the 105 it used to be NAS previously though, so it's just a switch back to what it was.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The Aberlour a'bunadh has never had an age statement either
and I've had a bottle (or more) from batches 41, 44,46,47, and 49.

As soon as we ran out of 49 (about 6 months ago), the batch 50 bottles started showing up at $99
I've heard from a friend that recently returned from a trip to Scotland, that the higher ABV bottles have a higher tax now.
Perhaps that's something new that's affecting increases on new imports?

Regardless, back to your question, I see no real difference between the 105's I've had
and the only difference between them and the a'bunadh is the 105 is more consistently good, however and not quite as complex.
The Buna's tend to vary in quality from batch to batch, mostly good, heavy, fruity and a good dose of caramel/chocolate finish.
But every once in a while a batch comes out with a little too much sulfur on the nose from a less than perfectly treated sherry cask.

I've read some of the reviews for batch 50 and there are complaints that the lack of quality casks and increased production numbers
are indications that Aberlour is producing a much younger product and its starting to show in the quality compared to the earlier batches.
as a result I'm less inclined to spend substantially more for a lesser product now.

The best part about my first Aberlour a'bunadh (batch 41) just three short years ago,
was a decent quality heavily sherried , near 60% ABV single malt for around $70.
I always had to add a fair bit of water to tame it down, so it was like getting a bottle and a half of a 40% ABV $46 Single Malt.

I've had some very good NAS whisky, but it seems they are mostly of the peated variety now, like Ardbeg's Uigeadail.
a'bunadh and the 105 were the only sherried NAS single malt Scotch on that short list,
There is one more you should try a Sample of at least...

Amrut Fusion
a combo of Scottish and Indian Barley, produced in India,
aged in oak sherry casks, 50% ABV and priced $70-$80

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...fusion-whisky/

You can probably find a sampler mini bottle that comes in a mini tin for a few bucks near the checkout at most liquor stores

My First Home Theater
Old 11-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Amrut Fusion
a combo of Scottish and Indian Barley, produced in India,
aged in oak sherry casks, 50% ABV and priced $70-$80

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...fusion-whisky/

You can probably find a sampler mini bottle that comes in a mini tin for a few bucks near the checkout at most liquor stores
Oh yeah, I know A'bunadh is a NAS - always has been and it predates the current trend by a couple of years, I'm guessing around ten or so.

I was just curious how you felt about the 105 now because I know you've had more than a couple of bottles when it had an age statement on it, so I thought you'd be a reasonable authority to address whether the product has changed. Good to hear you aren't perceiving a difference. I'll continue to buy A'bunadh while I can at that price, which it would seem is as long as #49 is around. I know it's disappeared from some stores so I imagine they've got the 50 sitting in the back and they're waiting for it to go away before putting the new batch out with the higher price. I can't get the 105 locally but I do enjoy it. And yeah, the value is there with the cask strength stuff for sure due to the higher ABV.

We have no Amrut locally unfortunately though I am itching to try it. Sadly should it show up here it'll be ~$100 or more. I'll put it on my list for next May though when I'm back through Calgary. Hopefully y'all don't raise the taxes again before I get back there.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

a long overdue thread bump...

inspired by "The Dude"

" That rug really tied the room together man!"

Some times you eat the Bar (bear} sometime it eats you

Classic !....love Sam Elliot ( and Jeff Bridges,John Goodman and Steve Buscemi...(no homo)

My First Home Theater

Last edited by PioManiac; 01-15-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3365 Post(s)
Liked: 6247
The dude abides. Thanks to Pio for the reminder to stop on by. Been too long. Glad to see this thread is still going strong. As it so happens, I got into the tequila tonight. The patron limited edition bottle. Love that blue agave. Salud.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally made some serious Whisky purchases in 2016,

The upcoming Robbie Burns Day (Monday Jan.25) flyers piqued my interest so I had to hit the shops
...with the dropping Canuck $ and rising Single Malt Scotch prices, I couldn't resist stocking up
I found several local offerings of Excellent 50% ABV Single Malts for under $65

First from Bruichladich, the Wee Laddie tasters collection, 200ml
The Laddie Classic, Islay Barley, and Port Charlotte...all 50% ABV

I grabbed two of them, one for myself and another for a gift for a friend.

I also added a couple more Bruichladdies to my collection,
a Port Charlotte Islay Barley (white Tube) and a Bere (pronounced "Bear") Barley
...that I have been looking for almost 2 years. (both also 50% ABV)

Bere barley is an ancient grain, believed to have been introduced to Scotland/England by the Vikings,
it grows faster and is typically ready for harvest within 90 days, heartier and resistant to weather conditions but the yields are typically lower then modern barley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bere_%28grain%29

standard barley left, Bere Barley right

My current Bruichladdich collection, all are Excellent, 50% ABV and affordable
(Except for the Black Art which was $$$)...only the Port Charlotte varieties are peated.

...and I also stumbled upon a new GlenDronach I have never seen before

an 8 year old "Hielan" in a Black tube, double matured in ex-Bourbon and Sherry Casks
I had to buy it, being a huge GlenDronach fan and it was also a few bucks less than the standard 12 y/o Original, and 46% ABV.

Sláinte!
morgbug likes this.

My First Home Theater

Last edited by PioManiac; 01-23-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 PM

Interested to hear your reviews on the Hielan. I've known about it for a while but it hasn't shown locally so I haven't been able to try it out.

Of late I've been stocking up on the Glenlivet Nadurra 16 as the stocks are rapidly dwindling to be replaced by the NAS Nadurra finished in Oloroso casks. Nice I'm sure, but I'm mostly opposed to the NAS stuff, at least outside of A'bunadh/105. So I've squirreled away four bottles of that and hope to get another couple in the next month or so. Really enjoying that one.

Speaking of A'bunadh I missed picking up #50 for cheap. For a short time we had it at $79 and then it jumped to $99, presumably once the last bottles of #47 disappeared. Alas I was busy buying the Nadurra, should have grabbed at least one at the cheaper price though.

Still stocking up as best I can - down to Minneapolis next weekend and though the exchange rate is abominable I still think there are a few bargains to be had, or if not outright bargains, at least bottles that aren't available locally. Also have a couple of Calgary trips in the next couple of months thanks to the kid's volleyball, so I'll be stocking up even more that way, just hoping Alberta can keep a PST away until at least June and the prices don't jump too soon thanks to the exchange.

Trying to decide if I should move on to buying higher end bottlings (18/21/25 y/o) or just keep stocking up on the stuff more naturally in my price range. I think the latter and just shore up the age statement whiskies I enjoy. Really not liking how prevalent the NAS releases are becoming and that they are replacing the core age statement releases. Hearing too that Macallan is going to start dwindling the stocks of younger age statement products in the U.S. in anticipation of the release of the color series most of the rest of the world is suffering through.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys - Im new to scotch, but I love macallan 12...given that, what other kinds should I try?

I also love some single barrel Jack
Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 396
^

Gentlemen Jack

And find yourself a nice malt scotch

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post
Interested to hear your reviews on the Hielan. I've known about it for a while but it hasn't shown locally so I haven't been able to try it out.
Two thumbs up from me Mo'

I wish I still had a bottle of 12 y/o Original and a 15 y/o Revival on hand to do a better 3 way comparison,
but just based on memory, I would place the new 8 y/o Hielan in between the two, and maybe even a little closer to the 15 than the 12 y/o.

It may lack a little in maturity at just 8 y/o, but more than makes up for it in intensity/complexity
It's a great marriage of Bourbon/Sherry casks and I would definitely choose it over the 12 y/o Original.
...it is $6 cheaper and more potent at 46% so I now have a new entry level, age statement sherried single malt on my goto list.

I've read several reviews that state it's more bourbon than sherry influenced,
but after sampling several bourbons and several Bruichladdich single malts that were 100% bourbon matured,
...I have to say I primarily smell/taste sherry in the new Hielan with just a little bourbon influence.

It's no sherry-bomb, so don't expect Single Cask quality
...but I feel its a great value over spending over $30 more for a 15 y/o Revival.

Almost forgot...

Happy Robbie Burns Day!

My First Home Theater
Old 01-25-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
Hey guys - Im new to scotch, but I love macallan 12...given that, what other kinds should I try?

I'm no expert, but graduated from Gentleman Jack to Single Malt Scotch about 3 years ago,
You would be wise to look into GlenDronach if you like the Sherry matured single malts.

...here's the start of my scotch journey a few pages back in this thread...
Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated...

My First Home Theater
Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post

One page back I rambled semi-coherently about a variety of whiskies. Take a gander and if there are more questions, let me know and I'll do what I can to answer them. In the interim buy more Macallan 12 before you suffer the same fate as the rest of the world and get stuck with the 1824 series.

Was down in Minneapolis this past weekend and picked up another couple of bottles of Oban Distiller's edition (15 y/o). Got it for what I thought was a pretty good price ($64 USD) and turns out it was a spectacular price, as liquor barn in Alberta is now selling it for $162
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

After sipping my Bruichladdich samplers, and the new Bere Barley
...I have to say the Islay Barley 2007 (Yellow Tin) is still one of my all-time favorites
so I picked up a Big Bottle today.

I have not bought one of those since my Co-Op store closed last Summer, because the price was $10 more at Wine&Beyond
But a $10 off Coupon came in the mail yesterday for any purchase over $50 at W&B.

Tasting notes from Serge at Whisky Fun:

Bruichladdich 2007/2013 'Islay Barley' (50%, OB, Rockside Farm)

Made from barley harvested on the Rhinns of Islay in 2006. Had this been wine, it would have been a 2006, but it’s the year of distillation that counts. Colour: white wine (!) Nose: what strikes first is a huge freshness and an obvious coastal side. Probably one of the most coastal unpeated malts I could nose thus far. So peaches, apples, plums and melons plus whiffs of sea air and the faintest notes of shortbread and vanilla crème. This freshness is very lovely! Mouth: maybe a little less mature than on the nose, with a few roughish eau-de-vie notes (plums, kirsch) but also pleasant notes of oranges and watermelons. Barley sugar. I seem to find a little salt as well but I may be dreaming, not too sure. Autosuggestion? Finish: quite long, clean, fruity and rather barleyish. Comments: a little young but it’s a sweet, pure and fruity malt with a lot of freshness, as I may have written before. I also found traces of peat. SGP:542 - 84 points.

Bruichladdich 'Bere Barley 2008' (50%, OB, Uhi Orkney Farms, 2014)

I believe most bere whiskies I’ve tried had been made from bere barley grown on Orkney. I remember well, for example, an Edradour distilled by/for Michel Couvreur. Colour: white wine. Nose: it is much fruitier than the organic, unexpectedly lighter as well, fresher, cleaner… In fact it’s a kind of melon-flavoured Belgian beer. Yes, seriously. It’s only in the background that we find a few bready notes, stewed pears and apples, and a touch of honey. The whole works very well. With water: oh, all the grains and breads come out, with flying colours. Visiting a bakery around five (am). Mouth (neat): much more difference on the palate. Fruit bread, honey-covered corn bread, Williams pears and a touch of barley water. It reminds me a bit of some new American craft whiskeys. With water: excellent! Breads and fruits in perfect sync, plus a touch of mint flavoured tea and a smidgen of juniper. Finish: quite long, with more oranges this time. Bready/spicy aftertaste. Comments: love this. One of the highest quality/age ratios I know of. SGP:352 - 88 points.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very impressed with the entire Laddie line,
always natural color, non-chilled filtered, minimum 46% ABV but most are 50%ABV
Craft presentation, local barley from local farms, Awesome Tins with embossed lettering (not cardboard)

Although many are younger (2003-2008) , as Serge says, they are still very good, and very affordable.
and they do have a distilled date on the bottle except the entry level NAS baby blue bottle (Laddie Classic)

I think their focus on the Barley brings Scotch Whisky to the true roots of the spirit
instead of relying on Peat or Sherry to influence the experience.

...sure there's a little bourbon influence in there too, (ex American Bourbon Casks)
but its the good part ...oak and light fruit, buttery sweet vanilla that mix beautifully with the malty sweetness
...and just a hint of salty sea air from the coastal location on Islay.

My First Home Theater

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 PM

Islays intimidate me I'm afraid. Always worried it will overwhelm me and not be enjoyed at a significant outlay of cash. Plus we continue to have abysmal selection locally. I also don't mind bourbon casks, one of the whiskies I've been both enjoying and gathering up of late is the Glenlivet Nadurra 16, a boubon cask finish. Very much enjoy the contrast of that with the sherry finished whiskies I tend to prefer most times.

Currently sipping on some Glendalough Irish whisky and some Surly (Cynic) I picked up when in Minneapolis last weekend. Happy times.
Old Today, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post
Islays intimidate me I'm afraid. Always worried it will overwhelm me and not be enjoyed at a significant outlay of cash. Plus we continue to have abysmal selection locally. I also don't mind bourbon casks, one of the whiskies I've been both enjoying and gathering up of late is the Glenlivet Nadurra 16, a boubon cask finish. Very much enjoy the contrast of that with the sherry finished whiskies I tend to prefer most times.

Currently sipping on some Glendalough Irish whisky and some Surly (Cynic) I picked up when in Minneapolis last weekend. Happy times.
FYI, only the Port Charlotte and Octomore lines from Bruichladdich are peated/smokey typical of an Islay whisky

Anything with Bruichladdich on the bottle label/tin is lighter and fruity in character
the barley and oak bourbon cask are the primary influences on the finished product..no peat, no smoke.
If you go to the Bruichladdich site you'll notice they totally separate the peated vs unpeated varieties.
...but if you don't have a selection to choose from I guess the point is probably moot.

The Islay Barely (yellow tin) is less smokey/peaty than your favorite Oban

My First Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement