Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated... - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #2851 of 2870 Old 02-09-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Had to Google Saville center, had no idea where that was...
By the University? Not sure about any shops close to that area as I usually stick to the South side.

Liquor Depot and Liquor Barn are owned by the same corporation and smaller outlets have limited selection.
If you're looking for specialty Single Malts most shop employees will refer you to one of their Flagship Stores.

...and those would be Wine and Beyond

http://www.wineandbeyond.ca/Our-Stores

My Go-To is the Windermere location (about 5 minute drive from home)
... they have a Single Malt Isle that's about 40 foot long and stocked floor to ceiling ...Both Sides!

another smaller south side shop I like is Keg and Cork
http://www.kegncork.com/

If you can locate a Solo Liquor they often have fair pricing, but limited selection
That's where I wiped out their Nadurra stock at ~$70/bottle

http://sololiquor.com/locations/

The absolute Best prices, but smallest selection is still Superstore Liquor

http://realcanadianliquorstore.ca/
morgbug likes this.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | HDFury Integral
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers | Funk Audio 18.0 Sub's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2870 Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
By the University? Not sure about any shops close to that area as I usually stick to the South side.

Liquor Depot and Liquor Barn are owned by the same corporation and smaller outlets have limited selection.
If you're looking for specialty Single Malts most shop employees will refer you to one of their Flagship Stores.

http://www.wineandbeyond.ca/Our-Stores

My Go-To is the Windermere location (about 5 minute drive from home)
... they have a Single Malt Isle that's about 40 foot long and stocked floor to ceiling ...Both Sides!

another smaller south side shop I like is Keg and Cork
http://www.kegncork.com/

If you can locate a Solo Liquor they often have fair pricing, but limited selection
That's where I wiped out their Nadurra stock at ~$70/bottle

http://sololiquor.com/locations/

The absolute Best prices, but smallest selection is still Superstore Liquor

http://realcanadianliquorstore.ca/
Yup, close to the University. Staying at the Travelodge on 55th I think it is. So technically I'm in the south end. Thanks though, that's lots to work with. I'll probably pester you closer to May.

Superstore does have fabulous pricing but not what I'm looking for when I'm in town in terms of selection. I'll hit up the one in Medicine Hat in July when I'm there again. Stock is the same at all of them pretty much.

Mostly looking for Glendronach's again. Still fearful of the Forman-Brown takeover so I'll buy what I can while I can. Single casks, Allardice, Parliament or even 14 Virgin Oak if it's still hovering around. Hoping to pull four bottles out this time. Maybe grab a Hielan at the airport on the way out.
post #2853 of 2870 Old 02-11-2017, 05:54 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 360
5 Vegas Apocalypse cigar with a new Cabernet Sauvignon. Good combo. Nice even burn and solid ash with a medium strength. Compliments the wine flavor.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2854 of 2870 Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5013 Post(s)
Liked: 11587
I got my hands on a bottle of Santo. It's Sammy Hagar and Adam Levine's new business venture. It's not available here so I had to have it shipped it. Shipping was ouch.

Quote:
Santo Puro Mezquila is an agave blend made from 100% Blue Variety
Tequilana Weber agave and 100% Espadin agave (Angustifolia variety).

Santo’s intense agave aroma mixes with an earthy, light smokiness with a
hint of herbs. The initial bite is mellow and fades gently while the full taste
and finish elicits the intricate agave flavor and herbal complexity layered
with gentle smoke, slight floral fruitiness and low saltiness.
http://www.redrocker.com/redheads/us...-mezquila-here

post #2855 of 2870 Old 03-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Been away too long. Recently branched into rum and tried El Dorado 15 and like it a lot. A very different taste than whisk(e)y.

My haul yesterday... Except for Rendezvous Rye, I haven't tried the rest so I bought them out of recommendations. Anyone has any experience with them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170303_121916.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	2007073  
post #2856 of 2870 Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwoksun View Post
Been away too long. Recently branched into rum and tried El Dorado 15 and like it a lot. A very different taste than whisk(e)y.

My haul yesterday... Except for Rendezvous Rye, I haven't tried the rest so I bought them out of recommendations. Anyone has any experience with them?
I would recommend perusing this site for rum information. Very interesting discussions to be had there though it takes a while to tease out the information you actually need. There's some subjectivity to the matter, kind of like with Scotch whisky - do you care about age statements, chill filtering or added color? If you do, it'll be a bit depressing to see what's happening with rum. I was fully ready to break out into the rum world and start buying up the older bottlings because they seemed a tremendous value relative to some of the whisky offerings of late, especially north of the border. But then you find out that the numbers aren't always especially meaningful and there might be stuff added to the point where you're not really drinking rum anymore anyway; instead you're drinking a pretty heavily adulterated product that might more resemble a liquer. From what I understand a lot of the rum companies are significantly altering the product to make it far sweeter and smoother than rum actually is. And the rules on age statements don't actually even exist (there's no rum equivalent of the SWA) so that number might or might not mean something. It could mean that 23 is the average age. Or it could mean that 23 is the minimum age. Or it could mean that there's at least "some" rum that has something to do with the number 23. All in all I became very depressed and just kept buying age statement whisky from very few distilleries and generally only in Alberta and the U.S.
post #2857 of 2870 Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post
I would recommend perusing this site for rum information. Very interesting discussions to be had there though it takes a while to tease out the information you actually need. There's some subjectivity to the matter, kind of like with Scotch whisky - do you care about age statements, chill filtering or added color? If you do, it'll be a bit depressing to see what's happening with rum. I was fully ready to break out into the rum world and start buying up the older bottlings because they seemed a tremendous value relative to some of the whisky offerings of late, especially north of the border. But then you find out that the numbers aren't always especially meaningful and there might be stuff added to the point where you're not really drinking rum anymore anyway; instead you're drinking a pretty heavily adulterated product that might more resemble a liquer. From what I understand a lot of the rum companies are significantly altering the product to make it far sweeter and smoother than rum actually is. And the rules on age statements don't actually even exist (there's no rum equivalent of the SWA) so that number might or might not mean something. It could mean that 23 is the average age. Or it could mean that 23 is the minimum age. Or it could mean that there's at least "some" rum that has something to do with the number 23. All in all I became very depressed and just kept buying age statement whisky from very few distilleries and generally only in Alberta and the U.S.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I had visited that site as part of my research.

The "23" you mentioned I believed you referred to Zacapa 23 Solera. It actually means the oldest age. Some people are concerned with NAS particularly in the world of Scotch and Bourbon. But I care less of the numbers on the label, I prefer to judge by the quality of the liquid inside the bottle. It's true that many Spanish style rums have sugar added but I don't mind as long as I like the taste and smoothness. In fact, it's the style.

If you prefer drier style, there are other distillers that don't add much sugar, e.g. Appleton, Mount Gay etc and other British style rums. Like Scotch, there are a variety of choices, one of them may suit your taste.

Last edited by Kwoksun; 03-05-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #2858 of 2870 Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwoksun View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I had visited that site as part of my research.

The "23" you mentioned I believed you referred to Zacapa 23 Solera. It actually means the oldest age. Some people are concerned with NAS particularly in the world of Scotch and Bourbon. But I care less of the numbers on the label, I prefer to judge by the quality of the liquid inside the bottle. It's true that many Spanish style rums have sugar added but I don't mind as long as I like the taste and smoothness. In fact, it's the style.

If you prefer drier style, there are other distillers that don't add much sugar, e.g. Appleton, Mount Gay etc and other British style rums. Like Scotch, there are a variety of choices, one of them may suit your taste.
Yup, there are rums that suit my taste. And really that's what it boils down to for anyone - what you like and if you're happy paying the price for what you get. I do have a number of rums in my collection, some of them purchased prior to knowing about additional sugar but predominantly Appleton which I liked already before I knew much. Seems my palate aligns reasonably well with my sensibilities. No, my wife wouldn't believe that either.

In my case I like old school Caribbean rum that tastes like rum used to taste in the 1970s. My personal opinions line up along with those at the site I linked. I'm not a fan of adulteration of rum to make it sweeter and smoother by addition of sugar and other additives. That's just me though.

I'm the same way more or less with Scotch. I like to know what I'm drinking is more or less what came out of the cask. I know there are good whiskies out there without age statements that are flavorful and enjoyable. But to me I can't accept a reason to discontinue an age statement whisky to come out with a whisky reputedly based on "color" as the sudden new indicator of quality substituting as a masquerade for age (throw a 10 year old Glendronach single cask beside a 16 year old Glenlivet Nadurra and tell me age is related to color). If you can make a whisky that I enjoy that has a younger age, why not simply state it (hello, Lagavulin 8)? If your product is worth what you're charging you shouldn't need to hide information. So for me with Scotch I'm pretty much age statement only unless it's a gift and that would be rude not to drink it, correct?

That said anyone drinking single malt Scotch is in the distinct minority of scotch drinkers worldwide anyway. But if I'm parting with my hard earned dollars it's because I enjoy something, not because it's trendy or fancy or marketable. With rum I find the lack of clarity about what the numbers mean to be somewhat frustrating. Flor de Cana used to actually have the number and the word "years" on the bottle and it was relative to the minimum age in the bottle. Now however the word "years" has disappeared and the number, according to distillery representatives, is the "average" age of the rum in the bottle. Yeah, maybe. The change is offputting to me. Won't matter to someone else though. I'm not wealthy enough to buy a whisky because it's in a lalique decanter and supposedly out of this world. So if I'm spending upwards of $100 on something, I want as much knowledge on it as I can. Many of the rum distillers, like the whisky distillers, changed the rules. I don't support that.

As said above, anyone drinks what they want because they find the price:taste ratio acceptable to their palate and that's exactly how it should be. I've posted multiple pictures of Standard Lager in this thread and it's far from the tastiest beer or really unique in any way other than nostalgia to me personally but I still have it in the fridge at all times. I say that with part of my job being a beer taster (for real). It's pale, yellow lager. Nothing more and replaceable by multitudes of multinational brands. But I drink it.
post #2859 of 2870 Old 03-11-2017, 05:24 PM

3 Canadian Rye Whiskies

Just picked up these for $34 to $44 each. Look forward to crack one opened. Which one first?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170311_131309.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	2020497  
post #2860 of 2870 Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5013 Post(s)
Liked: 11587
Too many words around here. Lets have some action shots!

If you're aiming to misbehave it's good to have a higher spirit watching over you. Salud.

post #2861 of 2870 Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Too many words around here. Lets have some action shots!

True dat.

My get from being out in Moncton:

Last of the older packaging.
post #2862 of 2870 Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Drew Estate Tabak Especial tonight with Gentlemen Jack bourbon (nothing like regular Jack Daniels). Pilfering the internet for ways to spend money on home theater gear while smoking and drinking. Somehow, I manage to make it through days like this.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #2863 of 2870 Old 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

One week away from a spending binge. Thinking (hoping?) 4-5 bottles it total. Looking at maps it appears I'm very close to a Keg & Cork and a Solo as well. I'll be hitting up your Wine and Beyond as I'll have a rental car. As mentioned previously mostly targeting Glendronachs - single cask, virgin oak, possibly an Allardice or a Parliament again. Not sure about the Marsala finish GD which just came out as a 14. If there was still any Nadurra kicking around I'd probably snap that up as well. I suspect I might grab a Hielan at the airport on the way out if they have any at a "reasonable" price.

Down in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago and snapped up a pair of these:

South Lyndale Liquors is the store. Beauty of a store and they have a great selection you can try as well before you buy. Very friendly staff. Highly recommend. Total Wine has better prices but poorer selection. Almost bought a Yamazaki 12 but they didn't have one of those open to try. These were a little cheaper than the Yamazaki as well so why not get two?!
post #2864 of 2870 Old 05-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Happy world whisky day
post #2865 of 2870 Old 05-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Going to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Indy 500 qualifications tomorrow and will be drinking some Titos vidka for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2866 of 2870 Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
Going to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Indy 500 qualifications tomorrow and will be drinking some Titos vidka for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Titos is the best. I'm pretty sure my wife would pick Titos over me. Yeah, definitely sure of that fact.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #2867 of 2870 Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Just found this interesting thread and thought I'd post my most recent catch:

Whistlepig 10 Year Straight Rye: OK very pricey but it made many of the top 10 lists I've researched online for the best "rye" to use to make a Manhattan (my favorite current cocktail), albeit pricey at $80/bottle

Maker's 46: My goto is regular Maker's Mark wheated bourbon for my Manhattan, nice smooth daily drinkable bourbon IMHO so thought I'd splurge and buy this bottle of Maker's 46 (extra aging, higher proof, finished aging in port wine barrels) for an cheap price of $30/bottle (750ml)

Opened the Whistlepig.. mannnnn that stuff is so goooooodddd, so smooth and notes of butter on the palette. If it wasn't so expensive ($80-750ml) that stuff would definitely nudge out my goto Maker's Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whistlepig.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2173154  
post #2868 of 2870 Old 06-16-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post
Just found this interesting thread and thought I'd post my most recent catch:

Whistlepig 10 Year Straight Rye: OK very pricey but it made many of the top 10 lists I've researched online for the best "rye" to use to make a Manhattan (my favorite current cocktail), albeit pricey at $80/bottle

Maker's 46: My goto is regular Maker's Mark wheated bourbon for my Manhattan, nice smooth daily drinkable bourbon IMHO so thought I'd splurge and buy this bottle of Maker's 46 (extra aging, higher proof, finished aging in port wine barrels) for an cheap price of $30/bottle (750ml)

Opened the Whistlepig.. mannnnn that stuff is so goooooodddd, so smooth and notes of butter on the palette. If it wasn't so expensive ($80-750ml) that stuff would definitely nudge out my goto Maker's Mark
A bit torn on using high end booze to make cocktails. They certainly can make them taste amazing but is it the best use? I dunno. I used to be really into rusty nails (scotch and drambuie) and tried some pretty good scotch in there but ultimately found that JW Black made really nice nails at a much lower price.

Had a nice run out in Alberta about a month ago. Was able to come home with three bottles of Glendronach Revival and a bottle of the Allardice as well. So four bottles in total on that trip. Shortly after swapped a 2013 bottling on Glendronach 12 y/o for a Macallan fine oak 12 y/o. The Macallan has been discontinued for some time and I still have five of the 2013 bottlings of the Glendronach (actually 18 years old due to the distillery being shuttered for a length of time). Good trade? Maybe but I get a discontinued Macallan to try so I'm happy.

Was down to Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago for the Tom Petty concert and came home with an Oban Distiller's Edition (15 y/o) and the discontinued Glendronach Tawny Port 15 y/o as well. I'd been searching for that one for a while. I'm not really a port fan but I had the Cragganmore distiller's edition a few years ago which is a port finish. Initial impression wasn't great but after sitting for a couple of months it was remarkably enjoyable.

Finally I picked up a Craigellachie 13 y/o tonight to try. It's on clearance for $59 CAD which is quite a bargain. It hasn't reviewed all that well from what I've seen but at that price I thought I'd give it a shot. Will sample it later tonight and tomorrow. If I like it I'll go grab a few more before it's gone.

post #2869 of 2870 Old 06-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
nice find on the Single Malt Morg! Let us know how it tastes
post #2870 of 2870 Old 06-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post
nice find on the Single Malt Morg! Let us know how it tastes
Will do. The nose on it is really nice and quite promising. Sadly on first taste it seems to smell better than it tastes. It's not bad and at $59 CAD it's an ok Scotch to have around but at this point I'm not going to rush out for another. Now that said, I've had single malts I didn't initially enjoy and after some time being opened up they've changed quite a bit. So I won't pass final judgement on this one but right now I'm not rushing out for another in spite of the great price. I'll keep trying it along the way but last night I had two drams, the Craigellachie and a 15 y/o Glenfarclas. I could drink the Glenfarclas all night long, at this point I can't say that for the Craigellachie. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page