Help with Home networking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with Home networking

I am trying to setup our home network better and allow us to have access from outside the home to my network. I am not a network guy so looking for some help here.
We have Cox cable which running into our Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen Wifi router upstairs in our den. From this router we have a NAS for backups and few computers all wired to it via Ethernet. From them I also ran an Ethernet cable to our upstairs landing and wired a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi router so we can get better signal downstairs. This all seems good. At the Nighthawk I also have 2 NAS drives for Movie/TW storage located here both via Ethernet.

My new plan is this. I am trying to move the NAS and few other items downstairs into my closet behind the HTPC. I would like to add a switch or something in the closet. I was going to run Ethernet from the Nighthawk down in the closet into the switch. From here I can hard wire a few of my Ethernet devices. Right now my HTPC is using Wifi AC which is ok but going gigabit would be much better.

I am just not sure what switch or whatever I should buy. Like I said I would like to have access to network from away from home. I have one NAS hacked and runs web based IP programs I would like to access.

Trying to do and not spend a huge amount. I need at least 8 port switch but 16 would be better.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I run this switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704024

Just plug and play.

Theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Switches are pretty simple affairs. As long as they are Gigabit ethernet and from a known brand, they are fine.

If you want to access your stuff from outside your own home network, you need to configure your router to interface with services like dyndns.com so you can have a fixed address you can then use to connect to your stuff from the internet (just like connecting to a website).
This is a (video) tutorial http://usefultutorial.com/how-to-do/...ccount-in-2013
but there are others.

Most services allow you to have one account for free, so don't pay unless you are sure you really must.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

My setup right now it as follows.

Upstairs in my Den:

Cox Cable Modem into my Apple Airport Extreme. I have few devices connected via Ethernet and this is the DHCP router and provides wifi for my upstairs. From the Airport I have Ethernet running downstairs in my closet.

Downstairs closet:

Ethernet from Airport to my HP Procurve switch 2824 10/100/1000. From switch in all my home theater equipment and 3 Iomega IX4-300d NAS drives. Switch to Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router in AP mode to provide wifi downstairs.

I am looking to be able to VPN into my network from work, on the road etc. I would like to be able to access content located on my NAS drives. I can rewire stuff some but little limited to running Ethernet from upstairs to downstairs. Only really has the one now.

I would like to add something to provide this. I was looking at Netgear FVS318G but not sure. I am new to advanced networking. I know the LAN to WAN access is slower but don't want to slow down my in house internet etc. Not sure how the VPN would affect this. My cable modem is 150Mpbs plus so don't want to slow things down.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 0
The big question is, what type of content are you trying to access remotely? steaming video? Just documents?

Video streaming would require a media center that does transcoding. For document access, that should be relatively simple once you have a VPN connection since you'll be virtually on your home network.

For simplicity, a VPN router would replace your Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen Wifi router as it needs to be externally facing(connected to your cable modem). You can have the VPN gateway inside your network but configuration get trickier that way.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgbe View Post
The big question is, what type of content are you trying to access remotely? steaming video? Just documents?

Video streaming would require a media center that does transcoding. For document access, that should be relatively simple once you have a VPN connection since you'll be virtually on your home network.

For simplicity, a VPN router would replace your Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen Wifi router as it needs to be externally facing(connected to your cable modem). You can have the VPN gateway inside your network but configuration get trickier that way.

Mainly only going to access web interface on the NAS drives. They are running CouchPotato, sickbeard and etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2014, 06:20 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Mainly only going to access web interface on the NAS drives. They are running CouchPotato, sickbeard and etc.
That's easy then. That VPN router you selected should do it.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories
Gear in this thread - ac1900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page