1Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Request Advice: Building 1st home theater

First of all, a big thanks to all members of this forum. I am humbled by the knowledge of members of this forum. I was about to buy the Bose lifestyle 525 when I read details about Bose systems. It prompted me to read further and based on whatever limited understanding I gained, I am going for the below config. Please let me know if the config is a good value for money.
  • House type: Apartment
  • Room Size: 25x15 (Living room)
  • Purpose: 40% Music, 30% Movies, 20% TV, 10% Gaming (Xbox)
  • Budget: $2000 (hard stop)
  • Speaker preference: Bookshelf only.

Config I am thinking of:

$500 Subwoofer: SVS SB1000
$350 Center: Def Tech ProCenter 2000
$720 Front & Back L/R: Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000 (4 speakers)
$380 Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver
$2150 Total (Adding ~$200 for Sales Tax)

Notes:
  • Replaced Def Tech Pro Sub 1000 with SVS SB1000 (I have not heard SVS SB1000, but folks on this forum have rated SVS SB1000 high compared to Pro Sub 1000)
  • Replaced Def Tech Pro Center 1000 with Def Tech Pro Center 2000 as AVS folks recommend to have a good center speaker.
  • I listened to the Pro Monitors 1000 in 2.1 setup at the local Video Only store and liked them.
  • Yamaha receiver packed good features for the price. I can add a Bluetooth receiver to make up for the missing functionality.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by paragmoon; 06-17-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Subscribed to the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
That looks like a good setup, and you'll certainly be happier with this long-term over any of the Bose or other all-in-one HTiB type setups. You're spending most of your budget on speakers, which is absolutely the right thing to do. I haven't heard those particular DefTech models, but I have several of their products myself, and would buy them again.

Note that any subwoofer and "apartment" together can cause problems - so just be careful with your bass levels so you don't raise an angry mob of neighbors.

Enjoy!

Jeff
paragmoon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Jeff!!

Do you think that I could still go with the Pro Sub 1000 (looking at the apartment size). http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...dp/B000TD8XO8/

It has good reviews I could save some money
post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragmoon View Post
Do you think that I could still go with the Pro Sub 1000 (looking at the apartment size). http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...dp/B000TD8XO8/
For comparison, I have a ProSub 60 in my 16x20 bedroom and it's more than adequate... A smaller/cheaper sub and putting that extra money into your "future real estate" fund would be my advice.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page