• 1 Post By vespaguy

post #1 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Vintage Candy Dispenser

I haven't seen this posted yet, and searches didn't show anything, so I apologize if this is old news…

My sister sent me a text today from Sam's Club that said, "Have you seen this?" and attached this image:

I was immediately intrigued. When I found out that it actually includes a base, I pulled the trigger and bought one. I haven't opened it up yet, so I can't vouch for quality at the moment. And I actually just moved, so I don't even have a movie room to put it in as of yet! But I figured I'd share this find with the forum in case anyone else is looking for a retro candy dispenser.

Here's the listing at Sam's Club (which includes a photo with the base attached) http://www.samsclub.com/sams/candy-d...rod13440138.ip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Saw that when I was there. Had to resist the temptation. ☺ if it was in red I would not have been able to...
post #3 of 13 Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw the candy one as well as the popcorn machine by the same company. would appreciate any feedback for those that have picked one/both of these up as well.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Look's amazing. I would like to see more.

My perpetual home theater build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any feedback on this before I buy it? I too saw it at SAMS club
post #6 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Our Sams has several things in this series (popcorn, candy, cooler)

I have one of the smaller popcorn machine (on wheeled cart) by the same company and it works pretty well.

------

post #7 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Our Sams has several things in this series (popcorn, candy, cooler)

I have one of the smaller popcorn machine (on wheeled cart) by the same company and it works pretty well.
Any idea who manufactures these things?

post #8 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
No idea. And I may have to correct my previous post . . . mine is a Nostalgia Electronics brand. It was a gift, but we use it quite a bit.

------

post #9 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have all three - the popcorn, candy, and vintage pop cooler. Very nice - well made and fit extremely well in my home theater. Highly recommended.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post
I have all three - the popcorn, candy, and vintage pop cooler. Very nice - well made and fit extremely well in my home theater. Highly recommended.
Could you give me the link to your theater thread? I'd love to check out the pictures. Hard to get a sense of scale off of the Sams club site.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay. I finally unboxed and assembled my candy machine. Is it worth $200? Time will tell. But I have to say that it looks amazing. There are things I like, things I don't like, and things that scare me about it. Keep in mind that this was a ridiculous impulse purchase by me, based solely on the photo I posted above. I never even went to the store. I honestly knew nothing about it until I opened it up at home. I guess we'll split my review into the good, the bad, and the ugly...

THE GOOD:
  • As I said, I think it looks amazing. It's a great dated, retro-blue color that really seems to harken back to an earlier era. The paint even has super-tiny gold sparkles that catch the light and give it a metalish appearance. Yes, this is *not* metal. It's plastic. (More on that below).
  • It has a light!! It actually has a few. There's a light that illuminates the word "CANDY", another that shines down on the candy, and one at the back of the dispenser area (behind the containers in the photo above). It certainly looks nice all lit up.
  • It has wheels. Well, it has two fixed wheels and two adjustable feet, so it isn't as maneuverable as something on casters, but it can be moved around without too much effort. (But honestly, the unit is not heavy at all)
  • It does come with the small plastic candy cups/bins that you see pictured. Six of them. They match the color scheme of the unit nicely. And there's a small door on the right side of the upper unit that serves as a storage area for the candy bins. It's only about half the depth of the unit (the candy sits in the front half) and although there's room for the plastic candy bins, there's little room for much else.

THE BAD:
(these aren't necessarily "bad" things… just tiny details that aren't necessarily "good")
  • It's plastic. ALL plastic. The only metal parts are the back of the upper unit and the corner pieces (not visible) in the bottom part. All of the blue/yellow pieces are plastic.
  • As much as I like the finish and style, I really wish they made a red version that would compliment my popcorn machine more. It looks fine next to the popcorn machine as it is, but a red one would have made me happier (I believe that this same company DOES make a popcorn machine with the same blue/yellow color scheme as the candy machine, but having owned an inexpensive popper in the past, I wouldn't recommend the one by this company)
    [EDIT: It appears that the Vintage Appliance Company Popcorn Maachine is red, not blue, but with a design scheme and style similar to the candy machine]
  • Some assembly required. (It only took me about 15 minutes, and if you aren't using the base, you only need to attach the handle and you are good to go.)
  • It's top heavy. It's so top heavy that the instructions require additional ballast to be placed in the bottom unit. It comes with a bag that can be filled with sand, but it also recommends rocks or bricks instead. But don't worry about losing any storage space because...
  • The bottom unit is completely hollow with no door for additional storage. It's not a deal-breaker, but it certainly seems like a wasted opportunity considering that the only other "storage area" is the tiny area for candy cups/bins.
  • No surprise here, but the dispensing area is shallow. It's deep enough to get the included cups or a hand underneath, but not anything bigger. I certainly can't be the only person who mixes M&Ms in with his popcorn, right? It would have been nice to be able to stick a popcorn container under the dispenser.

THE UGLY:
  • I have not added any candy to the bins yet, but man those knobs seem flimsy. Scarily so. I can see how something like cornflakes might work well, but I fear that anything hard like M&Ms/Skittles might make for trouble. And there is NO WAY those licorice pieces in the photo above are going to work…by my estimation, they're way too big.
  • You know that light that i mentioned? Well there's no switch for it!! Seriously. If you want to turn off the light, you need to pull the plug, which seems ridiculous to me. I'm certainly not going to leave the light on 24/7, so I have to go over to the outlet and yank the plug? (I know that there are other solutions, but it just seems like poor design).

OVERALL
If this was $100, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. At $200, it seems a bit too pricey for the quality. Time will tell whether it stands up to much abuse… I do have my doubts, though. As it stands, it is definitely a very nice looking piece and certainly adds some atmosphere to a movie room or concession area (neither of which I have at the moment.).

If anyone has any questions or wants photos, let me know.
Robert Clark likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 06-29-2014 at 04:54 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-29-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
The company name is "Vintage Appliance Company". They don't seem to have an online presence and I can't find anything else that they make besides the three items discussed in this thread.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post
The company name is "Vintage Appliance Company". They don't seem to have an online presence and I can't find anything else that they make besides the three items discussed in this thread.
Thank you for the detailed review. I wish there was a company that made an even more expensive version of this that used metal instead of plastic and higher quality components. $200 seems high for a plastic shell, no matter how great it looks.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
candy , dispenser , retro , vintage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page