Just bought Movie theater seats for $350. Good deal? Stadium seating advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bluer101
  • 1 Post By thrillcat

post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought Movie theater seats for $350. Good deal? Stadium seating advice?

After months of trying to find seats that would fit in my narrow theater room (currently building), I finally found these movie theater seats that would fit in the room.

It was also important that I find something I could actually get into the room, the hallway is really narrow.
They are super comfy and seem like they are in brand new condition.

Did I get a good deal? He was asking $400 but I got them for $350.
(by the way, the back row of seats are going to be raised on a stage about 8inches, to give the room stadium-type seating.

I dont know much about theater seats, did I get a good deal?

Also, if anyone has done the stadium seating in their HT; how did you go about it? How much did you raise it?
Any ideas are always welcome!

link: http://imgur.com/a/fK62O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODirty View Post
After months of trying to find seats that would fit in my narrow theater room (currently building), I finally found these movie theater seats that would fit in the room.

It was also important that I find something I could actually get into the room, the hallway is really narrow.

(by the way, the back row of seats are going to be raised on a stage about 8inches, to give the room stadium-type seating.

Also, if anyone has done the stadium seating in their HT; how did you go about it? How much did you raise it?

They look great to me.
ODirty likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Those look pretty nice. I would say you got a pretty good deal...

Here's a Riser Height Calculator: Riser Height Calculator

Here's a Riser Construction Primer: Risers 101

These are very common in dedicated theater construction, so you should spend some time perusing that forum for ideas, tips, techniques.
ODirty likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Those look pretty nice. I would say you got a pretty good deal...

Here's a Riser Height Calculator: Riser Height Calculator

Here's a Riser Construction Primer: Risers 101

These are very common in dedicated theater construction, so you should spend some time perusing that forum for ideas, tips, techniques.
Thanks! That is just was I was looking for!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:

I just used 2x8's stacked on top of each other to build my riser. imo, 12" is the min I would do. but I find it a comfortable step height, and I'm not getting awkwardly close to the ceiling either. a good compromise for me. I could see going 2-3" higher being worth it in my case though. the screen is hung fairly low, and the only way to see the bottom of the screen from the back row is if the front row is fully reclined.

here's a pic that pretty much shows the whole construction:

Last edited by fierce_gt; 07-01-2014 at 04:51 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I just used 2x6's stacked on top of each other to build my riser. imo, it's the min I would do. but I find it a comfortable step height, and I'm not getting awkwardly close to the ceiling either. a good compromise for me. I could see going 2-3" higher being worth it in my case though. the screen is hung fairly low, and the only way to see the bottom of the screen from the back row is if the front row is fully reclined.

here's a pic that pretty much shows the whole construction:

looks very nice! Good job. I think we are going to build it this weekend so I will post some pics if we do.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
looks very nice! Good job. I think we are going to build it this weekend so I will post some pics if we do.
thats not a sub in the middle of the first pic is it?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
thats not a sub in the middle of the first pic is it?
it is. I cut out some holes to 'vent' it to the outside. not ideal, but it was better than no sub at all, which was pretty much my only other placement option
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Irwin and Seating Concepts are the best makes of commercial auditorium seating you can get. Those Irwin's are stain and fade resistant and will last you for years. These are the older version prestige telescopic seats and looks like Number 2 rocker platform. The rocker platform is how the seats recline, this is what the number means. The seat back, is what kind of seat cushion and back they have. Hope that makes sense for you. In other words that is how they are sold. If you got all six seats, yes it was a good deal. New they were around $175 a complete seat plus cup holders. I'm sure some one redone a auditorium and was given the seats to dispose of, this is the way it usually happens.

If head room is a problem i would go with 1 foot rise. If head room is not a problem i would go with 2 feet rise. For your best bet, simply experiment with the seats height versus screen height until you find your perfect combination. The best, most practical way to do that is to use scrap lumber and add and subtract till it feels right to you, then build your platform to that height. There is not really a right or wrong, it is what you want. Also do not forget about leg room to avoid that commercial someone's kicking your seat feeling, unless you want that experience.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Irwin and Seating Concepts are the best makes of commercial auditorium seating you can get. Those Irwin's are stain and fade resistant and will last you for years. These are the older version prestige telescopic seats and looks like Number 2 rocker platform. The rocker platform is how the seats recline, this is what the number means. The seat back, is what kind of seat cushion and back they have. Hope that makes sense for you. In other words that is how they are sold. If you got all six seats, yes it was a good deal. New they were around $175 a complete seat plus cup holders. I'm sure some one redone a auditorium and was given the seats to dispose of, this is the way it usually happens.

If head room is a problem i would go with 1 foot rise. If head room is not a problem i would go with 2 feet rise. For your best bet, simply experiment with the seats height versus screen height until you find your perfect combination. The best, most practical way to do that is to use scrap lumber and add and subtract till it feels right to you, then build your platform to that height. There is not really a right or wrong, it is what you want. Also do not forget about leg room to avoid that commercial someone's kicking your seat feeling, unless you want that experience.

Is that $175 for a set of three? Thanks for the background information.

I did some measurements and used a riser height calculator from diymovierooms.com and it suggested a 16in riser. With our low ceilings, if we did a 15in riser, I believe I would have about 3 or 4inches from the ceiling while standing up on the riser (I am 6ft tall). I am cool with that, because I am the tallest in the house and for the most part, it will just be us using the room.

The room is 17ft long, so we were thinking about doing a depth of approx 5ft, so we can have enough room to put some sort of foot rest/railing attached to the stage.

The consensus here is there needs to be foot rests for both rows, to make the theater seats more comfortable for long sitting periods.

I have been reading about how some people make these and most suggest lining the inside of the stage with plastic and filling with play sand, or insulation (we will do which ever is cheaper).

I also read that the stage/riser should not be totally against the surround walls; to prevent rattling? Is this true?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks again for your input guys, it is much appreciated!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Is that $175 for a set of three? Thanks for the background information.

I did some measurements and used a riser height calculator from diymovierooms.com and it suggested a 16in riser. With our low ceilings, if we did a 15in riser, I believe I would have about 3 or 4inches from the ceiling while standing up on the riser (I am 6ft tall). I am cool with that, because I am the tallest in the house and for the most part, it will just be us using the room.

The room is 17ft long, so we were thinking about doing a depth of approx 5ft, so we can have enough room to put some sort of foot rest/railing attached to the stage.

The consensus here is there needs to be foot rests for both rows, to make the theater seats more comfortable for long sitting periods.

I have been reading about how some people make these and most suggest lining the inside of the stage with plastic and filling with play sand, or insulation (we will do which ever is cheaper).

I also read that the stage/riser should not be totally against the surround walls; to prevent rattling? Is this true?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks again for your input guys, it is much appreciated!
No the $175 is per seat on a minimum order. What i do is on the commercial cinema side, as you guessed headroom is never a problem. So i have little to no experience with any HT set up. When it comes to commercial construction or remodels i know everything but speakers, i leave that to the pros at Christie, Barco and Dolby. I suggest you search the forums for DonaldK or CINERAMAX and look at the outstanding HT's they have done. You will find a lot of answers to your questions without asking them.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
movie theater seats

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page