HDMI cable suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
IRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI cable suggestions

I am busy upgrading my home theater equipment and am looking to replace an HDMI cable (which is 7-8 years old).
This will need to be pulled through ceiling and walls around 25/30 feet. (25 feet would work but I think I should have a little spare room so will go with a 30 feet length).
The new cable will be the main route between my AVR (Sony 1040) and a new projector I am in the process of buying (at least an Epson 8345 or better).
I want to try to future proof this cabling for use with a 4K projector etc. in due course. I would prefer not to have to pull through another long cable in a couple of years time if I can buy something now that will last through a few technical updates.
I have been looking at Monoprice:
1) PID#: 4959
or
2) PID#: 7697

An suggestions which is better and/or what other alternatives are available to me?
Should I be considering a cable with an equalizer like the 7697??

Trying to save a couple of dollars doesn't sound like a good way to go but I do think that Monster cables are not necessarily any better than others at better prices.

All suggestions/ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 159
When I looked those up, i got a 12' cable and a 75' cable. Could be just me, though.

Most people in your shoes would pick up one of the Redmere ones. You'd probably be okay with a normal one for 30', but I felt for my setup, i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I got this one and have been happy with it
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
I like the redmere stuff from monoprice for long runs. I've had some issues with the 25-30foot runs I've done with the flat CL2 cables. my brother uses the redmere stuff and has had no problems at all at the long lengths

but I'm not sure they will truly be 'future-proof'. the longer the cable the lower the bandwidth it seems to be able to carry, and the great the handshake issues. I bought all my hdmi cables before monoprice had the redmere stuff, and my longer runs that used to work with my 720p projector are kind of sketchy and unreliable with the 1080p one. I used to be able to have all my displays going at the same time(I have 3 hooked up to a powered splitter) but now it only seems to work consistently if I use one at a time.

anyway, point being, just because a 6foot hdmi cable is supposed to be good for UHD, doesn't mean a 30foot version will be. I suspect when we finally get the full UHD signal, it's not going to work well with long runs of hdmi cables designed for 1080p.

you may be better off running a line or two of cat6 to future proof yourself. that way, if they end up using a different connector, you're still set.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a 2 50 foot Redmere from Monoprice and they both are connected to a 4K projector and run perfectly.

Are your cables run in conduit? It would make things much easier...

John
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Redmere for me as well, no problems are all!

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
I have a 2 50 foot Redmere from Monoprice and they both are connected to a 4K projector and run perfectly.

Are your cables run in conduit? It would make things much easier...
my concern is more with what UHD could be, not so much with what it is today. I'm just not sure i believe current high speed hdmi will be enough for UHD at 60fps, with HDR, 12bit, 4:4:4 color, etc. not that all of that is likely to happen, but some of it could. current HDMI is only future-proof as far as we can see, but has no assurance to work beyond that. so running some cat6 allows for easy upgrades to cables that haven't even been invented yet, if necessary

that being said, i appreciate you confirming the redmere works great even at 50ft lengths. although i really don't want to rerun the whole thing, I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to upgrade to the redmere cables myself, and alleviate some of my handshake issues

post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
IRJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all the input.
I finally purchased an Amazon sourced 2.0 spec 25 feet HDMI cable. Using free Prime shipping of course.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...7868900&sr=1-7
I think this is a future proof as I can get for now.

Ian
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

where are you seeing 2.0?

all I can see is HDMI 1.4

should work, but looks like a pretty standard high speed hdmi cable. price is nice though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page