Philips Hue GU10 Bulbs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Philips Hue GU10 Bulbs

Today Philips announced that they are finally offering the GU10 (PAR16) Hue bulbs. I'm probably in the minority of people that would be excited about this, but my theater room already had the lighting and ceiling in place when I bought my house, and all six lights are on a single dimmer. The two lights closest to the screen are too close and cast light down over it, so rather than re-wiring all the lights to create zones or tearing out the ceiling, this will allow me to setup different scenes that are all wired to a single switch. As an added benefit I can pick from millions of colors. Now I just need to research how to implement some sort of DIY Ambilight setup that takes advantage of the lights.

Anyway... Just in case anyone else had been waiting on them since they were promised back in 2013, they are finally available through the Apple store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
holy cow those are expensive, haha.

it looks neat though, but I feel like you gotta spend a lot of money to make it really worth while. I mean, it would be very cool to have your entire house filled with those, and they could adjust color along with the time of day, or help you wake up by turning on your lights in your bedroom. or even just to have the whole theater done with them so you could adjust the brightness over each row of seating independently, or create other kind of patterns that provide the best compromise of on screen viewing and room visibility.

I just don't like the idea of needing to buy an iproduct, and controller box, if I'm just going to use a couple of them.

I hope the prices come down, and the software expands. then i'll be excited

still, if I ever had to start fresh again, I will look into a system like this opposed to wiring in multiple zones and dimmer switches and all that.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-13-2014 at 01:23 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
holy cow those are expensive, haha.

it looks neat though, but I feel like you gotta spend a lot of money to make it really worth while. I mean, it would be very cool to have your entire house filled with those, and they could adjust color along with the time of day, or help you wake up by turning on your lights in your bedroom. or even just to have the whole theater done with them so you could adjust the brightness over each row of seating independently, or create other kind of patterns that provide the best compromise of on screen viewing and room visibility.

I just don't like the idea of needing to buy an iproduct, and controller box, if I'm just going to use a couple of them.

I hope the prices come down, and the software expands. then i'll be excited

still, if I ever had to start fresh again, I will look into a system like this opposed to wiring in multiple zones and dimmer switches and all that.
I agree they are a bit (way) overpriced, but I (thankfully) only have six fixtures to put bulbs in. I could probably re-wire the lights for less money, but $360 is worth not having to go through all the effort. These will also add much more flexibility in the future. I think it's also much less than installing a Grafik Eye, and it will do more and integrate better with other future automation.

I had already purchased the 3 bulb starter pack with the standard bulbs and plan to buy a few more so that I can put one in each of the front facing rooms of my house. Then I'll use one of the apps to setup a nice scary light effect for Halloween... Can't wait.

As far as cost goes, Philips is also launching the Lux line of bulbs which are $30/ea. They will only do white light, but that's all most people need. Considering the cost of good LED based bulbs, it's not a terrible price given the abilities.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh View Post
I agree they are a bit (way) overpriced, but I (thankfully) only have six fixtures to put bulbs in. I could probably re-wire the lights for less money, but $360 is worth not having to go through all the effort. These will also add much more flexibility in the future. I think it's also much less than installing a Grafik Eye, and it will do more and integrate better with other future automation.

I had already purchased the 3 bulb starter pack with the standard bulbs and plan to buy a few more so that I can put one in each of the front facing rooms of my house. Then I'll use one of the apps to setup a nice scary light effect for Halloween... Can't wait.

As far as cost goes, Philips is also launching the Lux line of bulbs which are $30/ea. They will only do white light, but that's all most people need. Considering the cost of good LED based bulbs, it's not a terrible price given the abilities.
at least it's an option!

about a year ago i replaced most of my lights(all of them in the basements and bathrooms) with LED bulbs, and they ranged from about $4 to $7 for the gu10's depending if I needed dimmable or not. so, even 30bux seems pretty darn pricey to me.

do you need a new controller for every room, or is having one enough for the whole house? it still seems like a large initial investment(something I don't typically like doing because it seems something better is always just around the corner that I might want to switch to) but if you only need to buy one, ever, then the cost spread out over the whole house isn't as bad. it can definitely do some things nothing else can for this price.

kind of backwards, but I almost feel like the fact I already have some many dimmers installed and I don't want it to feel like a waste is what would most likely stop me, haha. even though I can only have one zone controlled by remote per room, and so these would offer a LOT more options. my brain is wired funny I guess. probably the reason I waited 5yrs to buy a new tv even though I hated the one I had, just because it wasn't broken yet

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
at least it's an option!

about a year ago i replaced most of my lights(all of them in the basements and bathrooms) with LED bulbs, and they ranged from about $4 to $7 for the gu10's depending if I needed dimmable or not. so, even 30bux seems pretty darn pricey to me.

do you need a new controller for every room, or is having one enough for the whole house? it still seems like a large initial investment(something I don't typically like doing because it seems something better is always just around the corner that I might want to switch to) but if you only need to buy one, ever, then the cost spread out over the whole house isn't as bad. it can definitely do some things nothing else can for this price.

kind of backwards, but I almost feel like the fact I already have some many dimmers installed and I don't want it to feel like a waste is what would most likely stop me, haha. even though I can only have one zone controlled by remote per room, and so these would offer a LOT more options. my brain is wired funny I guess. probably the reason I waited 5yrs to buy a new tv even though I hated the one I had, just because it wasn't broken yet

I agree - Even the cheaper "Lux" bulbs are pretty expensive. One controller is all you need for the entire house, but they aren't that expensive anyway if you consider the bundle cost and cost per bulb. The bundle with 3 bulbs is $200, and the cost of 3 bulbs by themselves is $180. It hooks up to your router, and the app on my iphone actually allows me to control the lights from anywhere. (Home, work, travelling, etc)

As with anything there is a risk of something better around the corner, but I feel at least moderately comfortable with the fact that they are partnered with Apple and are part of the new Apple home automation initiative. I also don't plan to invest in more than $1200 worth of bulbs in total which will last for years.

I hear you completely on feeling like I'm going backwards though. I actually have to replace the dimmer switch with a regular switch since these can't be run from a dimmer. I'm going to be using a Z-wave switch connected through a Smartthings hub to make sure the switch is kept on. (The lights won't come on if the light switch is off) Conversely I could just put a cover over the switch so that it can't be shut off on accident...

I'll try to post a review once everything is working the way I want it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page