1Likes
  • 1 Post By JReuter21

post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cheap screen for fantasy draft

I posted this in a different thread with no response. Feel like it might have been the wrong area. Sorry hope it doesn't upset anyone I'm reposting, I just am having the Draft Saturday and know someone around here can help. Thanks everyone.

So im hosting our big annual fantasy football draft this year at my house. My basement is still in progress. All studded up and electrical ran but no drywall or flooring yet. So im planning on having it in the garage. I borrowed a cheap projector from someone (im using a draft software that i hook my laptop to a projector and you have a live draftboard projected)

I did a test run this weekend, and this projector doesnt do well in lit areas. Like even a little light makes it tough to see. I also was projecting it on my garage drywall that is mudded but not painted or texted. Just drywall with taped and mudded seams.

I was thinking about just going to wallyworld and buying a cheap white sheet and stretching it and nailing it to the wall. Like I said this is just a fantasy draft that will be about 3 hours in my garage with me and a bunch of trash talking drunk friends so im not concerned about theatre quality. But I am hoping for some cheap suggestions that may help with the viewing. Should I go to a fabric shop and look for a certain fabric? Just look for the cheapest white sheet they have at wallyworld? Do I just buy a gallon of paint and paint that wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
I posted this in a different thread with no response. Feel like it might have been the wrong area. Sorry hope it doesn't upset anyone I'm reposting, I just am having the Draft Saturday and know someone around here can help. Thanks everyone.

So im hosting our big annual fantasy football draft this year at my house. My basement is still in progress. All studded up and electrical ran but no drywall or flooring yet. So im planning on having it in the garage. I borrowed a cheap projector from someone (im using a draft software that i hook my laptop to a projector and you have a live draftboard projected)

I did a test run this weekend, and this projector doesnt do well in lit areas. Like even a little light makes it tough to see. I also was projecting it on my garage drywall that is mudded but not painted or texted. Just drywall with taped and mudded seams.

I was thinking about just going to wallyworld and buying a cheap white sheet and stretching it and nailing it to the wall. Like I said this is just a fantasy draft that will be about 3 hours in my garage with me and a bunch of trash talking drunk friends so im not concerned about theatre quality. But I am hoping for some cheap suggestions that may help with the viewing. Should I go to a fabric shop and look for a certain fabric? Just look for the cheapest white sheet they have at wallyworld? Do I just buy a gallon of paint and paint that wall?
You need to browse through the DIY screen forum, under Display Devices. Getting a sheet of Thrifty White laminate board might be your cheapest option.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 744
even still, if the projector can't handle ambient light, the screen won't help that. at least nothing you'd want to do for your intended use. high gain screens are expensive, and still may not get the results you want.

you're better off spending your efforts finding a bright projector or setting up a 'booth' to block light around the screen area.

I'd say you keep projecting on the bare drywall, but spend your effort making sure as little light as possible hits that drywall. put up shades or something to block the light. you can still have enough light in the room, as long as the wall is cast in shadows it will help quite a bit

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like that idea actually. There are just 2 regular light bulbs in the garage right about in the middle and it has 12 ft ceilings. I bet I could drape something down a foot or so in front of the bulbs. Maybe that combined with a peice of blackout cloth or some silver screen paint and it might turn out OK. For <$50 I think I could do it all. Really appreciate all the input.
fierce_gt likes this.
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page