• 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wires/cables to buy

which brand should i buy?

belden? canare? monster? or regular ones?

this is for audio, hdmi and cat5e or cat6 cables or networking.

thanks!!!

--im very novice of this. we will be building our family's first home HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Monoprice...

As long as the specs for the cables / wires meet your needs (in-wall ratings, etc.), you're good to go. Belden makes very high quality wire that is priced accordingly - but for our residential needs it isn't necessary in most cases (meaning - Monoprice is good enough).
jrcrunch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 814
second monoprice.

ESPECIALLY for anything digital, there's basically not even a theoretical benefit to the higher priced cables, let along a noticeable real world one.

for speaker wires, I've personally found more benefit associated to the gauge of wire than the quality. I'd rather use a 'cheap' 12awg wire than a brand name 14awg wire. the only exception to this, is some of the cheap stuff is REALLY stiff, so it's hard to run it in tight places.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how about for long cables? the cables i need are 20-60 feet? for hdmi, cat6 and audio cable thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is this a trick question? Seriously, Monoprice is still the place to get all cables, unless you have a fondness for being ripped off. (I should add they have all kinds of useful connection and charging gear at reasonable prices and no I'm not their shill,just a satisfied customer. That doesn't happen much these days with so much shoddy gear on the market.)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcrunch View Post
how about for long cables? the cables i need are 20-60 feet? for hdmi, cat6 and audio cable thanks
no experience with the cat6...sorry(I thought it was pretty standard cable though, don't see too many IT dept's springing for luxury network cable, so there's likely not a big market for it)

for hdmi, get the redmere cables from monoprice. they are good for the long runs, a little more money, but they don't make cheaper 'high speed' hdmi cables longer than 20ft. before they introduced the redmere stuff, I ran a few 30-35ft hdmi cables(the flat CL2 rated ones they still sell) and they definitely show their limitations. everything worked great when I was running everything at 720p, at 1080p they are ok, but unstable, and they don't seem to support 1080p 3D

audio cable, being analog, can be susceptible to some interference. my preference though is to spend a few minutes of care when running the wires instead of a few hundred dollars for the promise(not guarantee) of a better shielded luxury cable.

either way, monoprice sells a range of 'performance'(they're all pretty high quality). so if you need a better cable for longer runs, they will have some good ones, and they will still be cheaper than many other places.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseven View Post
Is this a trick question? Seriously, Monoprice is still the place to get all cables, unless you have a fondness for being ripped off. (I should add they have all kinds of useful connection and charging gear at reasonable prices and no I'm not their shill,just a satisfied customer. That doesn't happen much these days with so much shoddy gear on the market.)
its true. I even have to deal with ridiculous shipping prices, but monoprice is the first and last place I even bother looking anymore. I KNOW they will be the best product for the money. many times I've heard of other places that are supposed to be better for Canadians, and every time it ends up being cheaper to get from monoprice, and I've never had a dud from them yet.

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page