Thoughts on Monoprice XLR cables? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By jerseygrown
  • 1 Post By olyteddy
  • 1 Post By NetTechie

post #1 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thoughts on Monoprice XLR cables?

I'm looking to purchase a 50ft and two 35ft cables, something like these:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...=2#description

Think they are good? I will be running them between my Denon DN-500A balanced XLR pre-amp and Mackie HR824mk2 speakers, and Mackie 12 inch HRS120 sub. If the quality of these wires is in question I will need to cancel my order, as I already ordered them.

Last edited by NetTechie; 08-24-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a couple and haven't had any issues. I buy all my cables from Monoprice and they've been great.

Steve
post #3 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Monoprice is definitely some of the cheapest priced stuff on the web, but if there were a risk on quality I'd spend the extra. Seems dumb to hook a $1100 preamp to $700 speakers (each) via a junk cable.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Monoprice XLR cables are very good quality and an excellent value. I have runs up to 50 feet without problems.

John
post #5 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post
The Monoprice XLR cables are very good quality and an excellent value. I have runs up to 50 feet without problems.
I have used the both short and long up to 75 ft. No issues to speak of. Even disassembled and soldered to a wall plate. I think monoprice is THE place to buy cables.
quad4.0 likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 529
It would be different if you were connecting your XLR cable to Roger Daltrey's microphone

but for a fixed location cable that you aren't going to move too much MonoPrice should be fine.
sebberry likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

The cables came, they seem pretty sturdy and well made. Any way to check them for issues? I'm new to XLR cables, though I've heard sometimes cables (even when new) can have some kind of short in them or something. How would I test for this?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #9 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'd be curious on your experience. I run all balanced cabling and I buy all my HDMI cables from MonoPrice. I've had one or two go bad. I haven't been satisfied with their RCA cables. Even their premium cable build quality feels cheap to me.

My hesitation was the lack of Neutrik connectors. Every balanced cable I've had with Neutrik connectors gas worked flawlessly for years regardless of pull and insertion cycles. All of the different companies cables I've amassed over the years -- monster, Nordost, Cardas, better cables and cables to go all use Neutrik. Likewise Bluejeans cable used Neutrik.

My simple point is that the connector quality has been my single hesitation.

I've tried a few generic cables over the years from RadioShack and they don't instill confidence in me. I've had Radioshack "premium" RCA cables crap out on me over time.

I need another pair of custom length cables and I've been debating between MonoPrice and bluejeans. I'm leaning towards spending the extra $20 to get what I perceive to be a cable with better quality but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm following you post and experience with interest.

Last edited by Thxtheater; 08-31-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post
Thanks! I'll have to do this and see if they are good after testing them.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I'd be curious on your experience. I run all balanced cabling and I buy all my HDMI cables from MonoPrice. I've had one or two go bad. I haven't been satisfied with their RCA cables. Even their premium cable build quality feels cheap to me.

My hesitation was the lack of Neutrik connectors. Every balanced cable I've had with Neutrik connectors gas worked flawlessly for years regardless of pull and insertion cycles. All of the different companies cables I've amassed over the years -- monster, Nordost, Cardas, better cables and cables to go all use Neutrik. Likewise Bluejeans cable used Neutrik.

My simple point is that the connector quality has been my single hesitation.

I've tried a few generic cables over the years from RadioShack and they don't instill confidence in me. I've had Radioshack "premium" RCA cables crap out on me over time.

I need another pair of custom length cables and I've been debating between MonoPrice and bluejeans. I'm leaning towards spending the extra $20 to get what I perceive to be a cable with better quality but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm following you post and experience with interest.
Cool, good to know. As I'm probably going to be doing little inserting and pulling of them, I'm not particularly worried about them breaking that way. But I did read the reviews on Monoprice and at least one person had issues with them being shorted right from the factory brand new. So this leads me to want to verify I got ones that aren't already malfunctioning. Guess we shall see!
Thxtheater likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I started a topic on how to test XLR cables on gearslutz.com and Lotus 7 posted a detailed walkthrough on how to test them completely using a multimeter.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...lr-cables.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories