Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector Mounting Question

Installation scenario

I will have double 5/8" sheet rock ceiling with green glue, hung on metal furring channels on sound isolation clips.
Since I haven't completed construction yet, and am months off on getting to the theater part of things I haven't chosen an exact model of projector (I'm expecting tech to change) so I'm not exactly sure where the projector is going to sit.

What is the best way to mount a projector to a soundproofed ceiling?

If I understand the GG, dbl rock, furring design, it is supposed to 'wave' and 'flex' as part of its sound absorption. I would think that waving and flexing NOT good for a projector to be directly fastened to, or is the movement so insignificant that it doesn't matter. I was thinking of using 5/8 plywood and sheet rock in the area the projector might be.

On the other hand, if I put a hole through the ceiling to mount directly to the joists, I've now put a hole into the ceiling for sound to travel.

Ceiling isn't up yet, so I'd like to get some input from folks that have dealt with this issue in their room construction.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 936
I don't know the 'right' answer, but I'd mount the projector to something sturdy either way. even if not about the flexing, they can be heavy, and I would want it mounted as securely as possible so the image doesn't drift or anything like that too. a small bit of 'opening for sound' is worth it imo.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 10 Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Went through this exact scenario last year. This is what my contractor installed in the ceiling to mount my projector to.

Are you working with The Soundproofing Company? I got the specs and requirements from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	projectormount.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	233657  

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-03-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typo.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Went through this exact scenario last year. This is what my contractor installed in the ceiling to mount my projector to.

Are you working with The Soundproofing Company? I got the specs and requirements from them.
So I see the metal channels on the walls, are you also putting channels on the ceiling? Or will you be screwing the sheetrock directly to the plywood board you have up?
I haven't been working with anyone. Just gleaning knowledge from reading everyone's posts and some guides from various sites (i.e. backer boxes as per the soundcompany guide)
post #5 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by netr@cer View Post
So I see the metal channels on the walls, are you also putting channels on the ceiling? Or will you be screwing the sheetrock directly to the plywood board you have up?
I haven't been working with anyone. Just gleaning knowledge from reading everyone's posts and some guides from various sites (i.e. backer boxes as per the soundcompany guide)
My room was completed last year. Channels were also installed on the ceiling, but that photo was taken before they were put in.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 04:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I substitute either a 4 ft wide or full sheet of 5/8 plywood for the first layer in the projector location. Screw it to the channel. That makes drywalling around it easier if it is either 4 or 8 ft long.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 09-04-2014 at 09:45 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4226.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	246994  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

BIGMo - I do like the 4x8 board as a solution to mounting mostly because it would afford me greater flexibility in final projector location.

BUT...Big BUT - there is a picture under 'how clips work' tab near the bottom of this page (http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...solation-clip/) which has me concerned. I fully get that the oscillation wave is greatly exaggerated in the photo and in the real world is fractions of fractions of an inch, but my concern is that even tiny tiny movements may cause discernible movement in the image being generated 14' away. A tenth of a degree of movement of the projector results in over 1/4" of movement 14' away. Even one hundredth (.01) of a degree of movement results in .03" (1/32) bounce at the screen. Can I notice that? I don't know.

I'm worried that room thumping sound will have the screen dancing if I mount it to the ceiling rather than the joists. And as the above numbers are purely theoretical, I'd like to get a sense of practicality from real world rooms that thump out the power of a small rock concert. If you're saying you use the 4x8 in rooms that have ear shattering sound, that's good enough for me. If it's only in modest volume rooms I'd like to understand that too.

And thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge....
post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you are really concerned or bass addict you can take this to a level 10 solution. Ceiling vibrations moving the projector have been reported but I haven't had that problem yet.

Basically do some blocking between the joists. Secure a chief ceiling mount plate to the joist and blocking, drop the 1 1/2 threaded down pole through the ceiling drywall leaving clearance so it doesn't rub. fill the gap with a flexible caulk. The ceiling can flex all it wants but your projector will be mounted to the joists. This picture is an adjustable down pole but you can just use a fixed length of Home Depot pipe.

Just hope your joists don't bounce when someone walks overhead. Sometimes it is a matter of what is the worst problem.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 09-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What about using a neoprene pad between the plywood and joists and/or between the chief ceiling mount and plywood?

http://www.grainger.com/product/5C02...140916145440:s

This might help with vibration control.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page