160Likes

post #1 of 1278 Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
3Js

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile HT Design Theater Seating

Just received a pair of Southhampton theater seats yesterday made under the HT Design label and sold by HTMarket.com.

These simply exceeded my expectations.

The build quality was excellent and the black leather was top notch. Everything arrived undamaged in perfect condition and the white glove delivery team was very professional.

Power recliners are whisper quiet and infinitely variable controlled from a recessed pad on the arm that lights up. The arm is nice and wide by the way as is the seat itself.

The seats include led lighting on the bottom edge for night viewing that can be off or on. There is also a lighted cup holder in each arm.

There is a faux wood grained snack tray that stores in the arm in a large storage compartment and fits into a grommet in the arm when in use.

And there is even a pair of USB ports inside the storage compartment to charge your phone or tablet during your viewing.

Hookup was a breeze. Just remove the cable tie underneath the seat to uncoil the power cord, then connect to a provided small transformer, and plug into the wall outlet.

It was a pleasure working with Alan Hutchinson and his staff during the whole buying experience. I never felt rushed or pressured.

There is a one year warranty, but I do not think I will need it.

Finally, my biggest problem is that the seats are so comfortable I have a hard time sometimes staying awake during an entire film.

I am usually critical of a lot of products and pretty particular, but in this case I had to give credit where credit was due.

Last edited by 3Js; 11-05-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1278 Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 59
HTDesign Southampton

Thanks for the feedback. This line is new but we believe on target with what the market wants.

Your feedback is appreciated. For any other buyers please post here all comments as it was an official buyers thread.

Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #3 of 1278 Old 11-07-2014, 12:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3720 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
It does look like a well featured chair at that price point.

post #4 of 1278 Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

HTdesign

I actually designed the HTdesign chairs myself hence the name HTdesign, I have been selling theater chairs for 14 years from other mfg and I would give feedback to them about price points and features but most of the time they would design what they wanted and at too high a price point. Furniture mfg are more in tune with people who buy furniture in a store versus home theater guys like us. I created this line for home theater guys in mind and the early results are promising as we sold about 15% of our inventory in the first 30 days. We have 3 styles now, Paget spacesaver, Somerset next level up has adjustable headrest, and southampton the bigger chair with all bells and whistles. We have one more style coming soon.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #5 of 1278 Old 11-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTmarket View Post
Thanks for the feedback. This line is new but we believe on target with what the market wants.

Your feedback is appreciated. For any other buyers please post here all comments as it was an official buyers thread.

Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
what pound density is the high density foam used in these chairs?
post #6 of 1278 Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

We use what's called D28 foam and we also have pocketed coil springs in seating area.

I hope that helps.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #7 of 1278 Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since you mentioned that you had a hand in designing the chairs, may I suggest an improvement that will give your chairs an edge over just about anything on the market?

For loveseat configurations, don't have the recline controls for the second seat in between the two seats, but rather on the closest armrest! It seems trivially easy to account for something like that in the design (e.g. have 4 chair configurations [full chair, chair w/ left arm rest, chair w/ right arm rest, chair without armrests] instead of 3).

I'm bewildered how that's not standard practice yet.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #8 of 1278 Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder_bum View Post
For loveseat configurations, don't have the recline controls for the second seat in between the two seats, but rather on the closest armrest! It seems trivially easy to account for something like that in the design (e.g. have 4 chair configurations [full chair, chair w/ left arm rest, chair w/ right arm rest, chair without armrests] instead of 3).

I'm bewildered how that's not standard practice yet.
100% agree - I have a loveseat configuration and my Berklines did it "correctly" as you suggest. It is another SKU to deal with, possibly, though...
oneeyeblind likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #9 of 1278 Old 11-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

loveseat

Thanks for suggestion, right now we use armless chair for loveseat config so recline controls are on the chair cushion for the 1 chair the armless chair, so we start 2 arm chair recline controls on cupholder, armless recline control on cushion, rf arm chair recline controls on cupholder and rf arm chair recline controls on cupholder. in future we will order skus that have lf arm chair, so you can do lfchair lf chair rf chair rf chair, so all recline controls on cupholder, that being said we have nice controls on seat as shown below.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controls-for-the-armless-seat-used-in-loveseat-configuration-11.gif.jpg
Views:	2562
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	374058  

Last edited by HTmarket; 11-19-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #10 of 1278 Old 11-19-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
in future we will order skus that have ... all recline controls on cupholder, that being said we have nice controls on seat as shown below.
That's good to see. I was worried it was controlled with a lever or something that might poke us in the butt if my wife wanted to scoot close and cuddle.

Still, the armrest controls (vs. switch) are a HUGE selling point for me, and something I'm intentionally seeking out in my shopping, FWIW.
post #11 of 1278 Old 11-25-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
We use what's called D28 foam and we also have pocketed coil springs in seating area.

I hope that helps.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
Ordered the Southampton row of 3 which has a 2-3 business day ship out time frame on 11/20 and spoke with a customer rep on Friday who said the seats would be shipping out on Monday 11/24. Never received an email saying they shipped out on 11/24 so I called today to see what was going on. The customer rep was not sure why it has not shipped yet but said he would have someone call me back in about 30 minutes to give me a answer. Never received a call back and looks like you are closed now for the day. My credit card charge posted 11/21 so don't think that is holding anything up. Appreciate if you could help get someone to give me a callback and update me on why it has not shipped and when it will ship. Thanks for your help Alan.

Last edited by rougebear; 11-25-2014 at 03:46 PM.
post #12 of 1278 Old 11-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
Alan. Do you sell any accessories that can be added to the ht seats where tray table attaches?
My wife is sold on this wine caddy that holds the wine glass
Or what about a Ipad Holder?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wine Glass Caddy.jpg
Views:	1580
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	386546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet  Holder.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	386554  
post #13 of 1278 Old 11-30-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Placed an order as well.

I ordered the Southhampton curved row of 3 online on Saturday. Recieved an automated email back saying they would send another when shipped.

The delay in your getting a response makes me a little wary. I hope it was just a Holiday delay over Thanksgiving week.

Here's hoping Alan will see these posts and reply before I call tomorrow.
post #14 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post
Alan. Do you sell any accessories that can be added to the ht seats where tray table attaches?
My wife is sold on this wine caddy that holds the wine glass
Or what about a Ipad Holder?
not yet, we are working on this aspect and will be testing some things soon but nothing for sale on wine holder or ipad holder. we tried palliser one it's a bit big for the grommet, but we are looking at other alternatives.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #15 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post
Ordered the Southampton row of 3 which has a 2-3 business day ship out time frame on 11/20 and spoke with a customer rep on Friday who said the seats would be shipping out on Monday 11/24. Never received an email saying they shipped out on 11/24 so I called today to see what was going on. The customer rep was not sure why it has not shipped yet but said he would have someone call me back in about 30 minutes to give me a answer. Never received a call back and looks like you are closed now for the day. My credit card charge posted 11/21 so don't think that is holding anything up. Appreciate if you could help get someone to give me a callback and update me on why it has not shipped and when it will ship. Thanks for your help Alan.
I just got back in town, I was out of Country last week, however if you want to check status please email us or call our toll free, I am sure this one went out though.

Thanks
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #16 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Just go back in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoral View Post
I ordered the Southhampton curved row of 3 online on Saturday. Recieved an automated email back saying they would send another when shipped.

The delay in your getting a response makes me a little wary. I hope it was just a Holiday delay over Thanksgiving week.

Here's hoping Alan will see these posts and reply before I call tomorrow.
I just got back in town but office was fully staffed short myself, but all orders are being processed. If this ordered Saturday this should ship by wed this week latest.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #17 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Status

If avs members order with us, just email our site or call toll free for status, as I am not always in the forum every day and it's hard to know which order is which without an order number or last name as some of the usernames are hard to figure out last names which order is which. It's usually a 2 to 3 biz day process so if you order on Saturday, we start counting monday, we have to arrange pick ups with freight carriers and sometimes get routing to white glove agents hence the 2 to 3 day process.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #18 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I just got back in town but office was fully staffed short myself, but all orders are being processed. If this ordered Saturday this should ship by wed this week latest.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
Alan, Thanks for the reply. I figured the holidays might be in play.

Looking forward to getting the shipping notice. Glad to hear it's all in stock.

Brad
post #19 of 1278 Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

your order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post
I looked into it I am assuming your in round rock tx, it went a day late on wed about 4 biz days sorry for that, roadrunner was supposed to pick up 11/24 and did not and we had to call them. You should be getting a call for aptmt if you have not already.

Thanks for the order
Alan Hutchinson
post #20 of 1278 Old 12-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Received shipping notice last night right on time!

So far so good.
post #21 of 1278 Old 12-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I looked into it I am assuming your in round rock tx, it went a day late on wed about 4 biz days sorry for that, roadrunner was supposed to pick up 11/24 and did not and we had to call them. You should be getting a call for aptmt if you have not already.

Thanks for the order
Alan Hutchinson
Hey Alan thanks for the help. I am actually in Las Vegas, NV. Roadrunner did pick it up on 11/26 estimated customer delivery 12/4 but I called them yesterday to set up a delivery and they told me it just left chicago yesterday 12/3? I know you have no control once it leaves your warehouse but my concern is why was it sitting for 7 days and how many times was it moved around? I also took today and tomorrow off from work in anticipation of setting these up. Not sure if you had issues with them in the past but a week delay for shipment is kinda ridiculous on there end.
post #22 of 1278 Old 12-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Alan, do you have any plans to offer fabric options on your seats? My wife and I are looking at doing theater-style seating in our living room; but, we really don't want to have leather in the living room.
post #23 of 1278 Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

It sounds like roadrunner "sat on it" so to speak for the thanksgiving weekend plus a few days. I am unsure why maybe they had limited people to get out of there chicago terminal. It probably only moved from our warehouse to there terminal warehouse that's it, that's what it would do anyway but sat there for the weekend and the holiday, so it would move the same amount around as normal.

I agree though should not of been delayed by them so much. We will contact our freight broker who contracted roadrunner and probably suggest we don't use them again, the problem is sometimes is that freight companies are very regional and sometimes they have the best coverage going to certain areas of the country. Sorry for the delay by RR. In future though on order status just contact our site direct as I don't monitor forum like we do email here. We are also contacting our freight broker to ask them why RR did this, will advise, apparently they did this another order for Salamander we sell also.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com

Last edited by HTmarket; 12-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.
post #24 of 1278 Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Alan, do you have any plans to offer fabric options on your seats? My wife and I are looking at doing theater-style seating in our living room; but, we really don't want to have leather in the living room.
Nothing right now on HTdesign as even on our palliser special orders we only see about 2% of all people order fabric, if you are interested in fabric, contact our site email or pm me about Palliser though they have tons of fabric options that are pretty reasonably priced with fabric.

Regards
Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
post #25 of 1278 Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Mini review

I received the HT Designs Southampton Leather match sectional today in a 3 piece curved configuration.

It was ordered online during Black Friday sales weekend. The web site was easy to navigate, the chairs were in stock, actually had a price online, and they took Amex. What could be easier. Another vender I was thinking of ordering from required you to email or call for prices, and wanted a check or 3% more to take Paypal. Two red flags for me. YMMV.

The delivery process was amazingly smooth and quite quick for this time of year. The progress of the shipment was listed almost daily on the transportation website, and I was called to set up a delivery in a timely manner. The truck came on time today, 11 days after ordering.

The boxes are big, but they are sturdy and the packaging around the chairs was very good. They all arrived in great shape. After unboxing, and setting up the power cords to a multi strip, one of the three was completely dead. So I called HT Design. The phone was answered promptly and after a couple of unsuccessful easy fix options I was told I would receive a call back from someone who could help me troubleshoot the problem.

I decided to dig in myself while waiting for the return call. I flipped the chair upside down and after checking the wires and connections, I found the plug that goes into the motor was loose, but still fitting onto the motor. Simple fix! So I called back and told them what happened. They thanked me for the feed back as these are relatively new on the market.

Now getting to the chairs themselves. They are very stiff compared to my old Lane marshmallow soft recliners, but stiff when new is usually good news in the long run regarding upholstery. I have past professional experience in the furniture industry so I was impressed that these chairs have a coil spring seat. Everything about these chairs is tight and well done. I see no obvious flaws in the upholstery stitching or in the leather or vinyl itself. The colors match very well, and the leather has a good hand.

Seating comfort is still a little stiff as I mentioned, and the seats seem pitched forward a bit when I first sit in them. But after I use the touch button to recline I can get into a more comfortable position. I will need a neck cushion of some sort as my neck is not supported when fully reclined, my butt scooted all the way to the back for lumbar support and trying to watch the screen. I needed one with my old chair as well. YMMV

These are the first electric motion chairs I have owned and I find getting from full reclining position to leg rest down position to be 9 seconds or so. A lot slower to get out of than my old manual recliners. I actually would prefer manual operation, but it seems most chairs come with electric motors these days. I watch TV in these chairs too, and get up and down frequently. I can see it might bug me sometimes to wait. YMMV.

The recliner touch controls incorporated into the cup holder are very sensitive and I can imagine that I will touch them inadvertently at some point in time. But they are pretty cool looking, operate well and in a good location for convenience. The lighting strip is really good for seeing in the darkened theater. One touch and it's on or off, a very welcome feature for me.

The tables are a nice addition as well as the usb ports. I can charge up the mobile devices and controllers inside the storage arms out of sight but easily acquired and the storage arms are really spacious. I have a load of 3D glasses, game controllers and remotes to store and they all fit perfectly. One small gripe. I have 4 cup holders but only 3 clear inserts. I was told they include one with each seat. But in my configuration I have 4 arms, therefore need 4 inserts. I was told they were trying to get some more from the factory to make up for the missing ones. I will update this review when I get one or not.

Conclusion. I am not easy to please, but I was very happy with HT Designs service as well as the seats themselves. From start to finish it all went super smoothly, and I would order them again.

Thanks HT Designs!
post #26 of 1278 Old 12-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for feedback

We appreciate the feedback as this is a new line we just developed. All the seats have pocketed coil seats which is a very good feature underneath and the seats will last over time. Most folks find them very comfortable for sitting in the seats for long periods of time like hanging out watching games on Sunday. We can get the insert cup to you for fourth cupholder. The good thing about power recline is you can put yourself in any recline position. Thanks again.

Alan Hutchinson
HTmarket.com
HTdesign
post #27 of 1278 Old 12-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
For a row of four seats does it make sense to have the two center chairs straight and the two end chairs curved? How will this look?

-Tom
post #28 of 1278 Old 12-13-2014, 04:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3720 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
kind of like this, except with an armrest in the middle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	2143
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	420417  
post #29 of 1278 Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
kind of like this, except with an armrest in the middle
Thanks

-Tom
post #30 of 1278 Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Alan, I think I'm ready to order.... Southhampton Brown leather row of 4-curved.

-Tom

Last edited by Tom899; 12-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
htmarket , southhampton , theater seating

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page