wall mounting bracket advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
wall mounting bracket advice

I am looking for wall mounting bracket options for a 40lbs, 51" plasma that offers variable vertical spacing for bolting (as opposed to the common variable horizontal spacing) so that I can align the bracket's mounting holes with two horizontal mortar seems, as they are thicker than the vertical mortal seems, allowing for beefier bolts while still leaving the bricks undamaged. I plan on using molly bolts and have a few inches of space behind the brick to accommodate ones with a decent span, so I'm not worried about the bolts falling out of the weaker mortar vs. the brick.

If anyone knows or such wall mounts, please suggest.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't know of any specific mount like you describe, although there are some drop down mounts that go forward and down to fit in front of a fireplace.

I would construct a plywood plate to screw into the mortar seams and then drill holes for threaded tee inserts to hold a conventional mount.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Most mounts allow for several inches of vertical positioning on the TV half of the mount. Depending on the size of the TV and the mount hole pattern, you can shift up/down using different vertical holes on the TV bracket.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@jayn_j - thanks. I'll look into that and other alternatives to the mount itself, but plywood might not work as the side of the side of the wall the tv will be on half the width of the room and the other space is the entrance, so whatever is behind the TV will be pretty conspicuous.
@jautor - the vertical alignment of the TV itself isn't the issue, it's being able to line up the mounting holes on the wall-portion of bracket rather precisely with horizontal mortar seems rather than vertical seems/studs.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.ralph View Post
the vertical alignment of the TV itself isn't the issue, it's being able to line up the mounting holes on the wall-portion of bracket rather precisely with horizontal mortar seems rather than vertical seems/studs.
Right, so line up the bracket where you want it, and then use the TV-side of the bracket to adjust the final position of the TV up/down a few inches. Or are you saying that the mortar joints aren't level enough to match the holes on the wall bracket?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I believe he's saying the vertical spacing of the wall bracket holes needs to match the vertical spacing of the mortar joints. If plywood won't work for you, perhaps you can fabricate some metal straps to attach the mount to.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I believe he's saying the vertical spacing of the wall bracket holes needs to match the vertical spacing of the mortar joints. If plywood won't work for you, perhaps you can fabricate some metal straps to attach the mount to.
Ah - gotcha - it's a matter of matching the top and bottom pairs of mounting holes on the bracket. Yep, my point won't help...

Reply Theater Room Items & Accessories

Tags
brick , hdtv , Wall Mount

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page